U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,163,689 times

Advertisements

The meaning of "manipulation" is to alter or change another's beliefs or actions by use of unobvious means (that's paraphrased). Any wife who lives in "subjection" to her spouse would look on this as necessary manipulation. Seems to me that I would rather have my spouse just love and respect me for who I am and not try to alter or change my beliefs to suit his or hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,537,405 times
I believe any woman/man would be concerned for their husband/wife's soul and this would be done because of their love for their spouse, not manipulation. However, it could be viewed by that spouse as manipulation. I think there has to be a careful balance there. Hence, the scripture on not being unequally yoked because it would cause difficulty.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,348,356 times
I love my husband dearly, but I do not try to steer him one way or another in what he believes. I know that he and I have walked different paths to reach our destination in life and we have gathered different information and beliefs on our way. I respect my husband as a very intelligent man, who has a reason for everything he does. I believe that he can draw his own conclusions and he does not need me to poke and prod him to believe one way or another.

My husband and I have the same morals and the same opinions on many things outside of salvation, he is much more respectful and loving than most of the gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) I have encountered in my age group within the Church.

I believe that having different beliefs on salvation can cause stresses, but I don't believe it has to. As long as one person or the other is not trying to stuff their viewpoints and beliefs down the other's throat, I think harmony and happiness can be achieved no matter what those people believe. I also think that it teaches our children that even mom and dad don't agree on everything, but we can still be happy and love each other. We still get along and respect each other. Neither of us looks down on the other.

Once again I think that some people bend what scripture says to meet their own personal agenda. Maybe there were too many Christian women marrying men outside of their own church and the men of the church were getting upset or vice versa and some church came up with this interpretation. Who knows. It is just like many other parts of the Bible which are open to interpretation. No one can say who is right and who is wrong until we ask Him ourselves.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,537,405 times
I believe that we are supposed to spread God's Word, but, at the end of the day, we are each responsible for our own salvation. IMO.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:36 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,603,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Any Christian who believes that they have all of the answers and consider everybody else to be wrong, should definitely only marry like-minded Christians.
Open-minded Christians get the benefit of being able to marry anybody who they love.
Shouldn't that go for non believers as well? To be open minded? This was the problem I had with my ex... he refused to accept that I believed in something so strongly and would hound me for reasons WHY... instead of being open minded to the fact that I had faith in something he did not... In that case, I was the open minded one, letting his feelings/beliefs be as they are without questioning him as to why... he wanted to prove me wrong constantly... it was draining.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM

537 posts, read 1,149,888 times
I clearly stated what God's word says, take it or leave it. I was not attacking, I am defending the truth.

By the way to be in subjection means we are to honour and obey our husbands just as we honour and obey the Lord. There are many references in the Bible concerning what a spouses role is.

I used to be the liberated woman type and I knew I was disobeying God. Being in subjection is a choice, not manipulation. My husband is the sweetest man I know and he does not manipulate me. I choose to honour him because that is what God requires, that is what love is, it is a choice, not a feeling. This also applies to those who are married to an unbelieving spouse.

Everything is about walking in truth!

1Jo 1:6If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,638,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Shouldn't that go for non believers as well? To be open minded? This was the problem I had with my ex... he refused to accept that I believed in something so strongly and would hound me for reasons WHY... instead of being open minded to the fact that I had faith in something he did not... In that case, I was the open minded one, letting his feelings/beliefs be as they are without questioning him as to why... he wanted to prove me wrong constantly... it was draining.
Yes, of course it does go both ways.
I would just as easily have said: Any atheist who believes that they have all the answers and considers everybody else wrong, should only marry like-minded atheists.
My next sentence (Open-minded Christians get the benefit of being able to marry anybody they love.) applies directly to you. I'm sorry that it did not work out for you with your ex and I hope that you will remain as open-minded as ever (just pick a more open-minded mate, whatever their beliefs). Basically, if any closed-minds enter the equation, you better make sure that both minds are closed around the same idea.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,348,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
I clearly stated what God's word says, take it or leave it. I was not attacking, I am defending the truth.

By the way to be in subjection means we are to honour and obey our husbands just as we honour and obey the Lord. There are many references in the Bible concerning what a spouses role is.

I used to be the liberated woman type and I knew I was disobeying God. Being in subjection is a choice, not manipulation. My husband is the sweetest man I know and he does not manipulate me. I choose to honour him because that is what God requires, that is what love is, it is a choice, not a feeling. This also applies to those who are married to an unbelieving spouse.

Everything is about walking in truth!

1Jo 1:6If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

And when judgement day comes and I see you sitting in the throne of God I will worry, until then, your opinion is just that. Your opinion. I could take it or leave it and I choose the latter. I enjoy my personal relationship with my Creator and I do not need your approval to justify that relationship. I also enjoy my relationship with my husband and I don't need your approval to justify that relationship either.

I am happy to be in my shoes right now!

Have a wonderful afternoon!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 PM

3,582 posts, read 460,853 times
What I believe is that this is taken out of context and applied to marriage when it is probably about the Jews in Corinth wanting to follow the law, not Christ.

Read Acts 18:8-13

Jesus was against intolerance and religion.

Jesus is still against intolerance and religion whether it be in islam, christianity, Judaism or new age.

When Paul spoke about marriage he said that both partners should love and respect each other with the wife submitting to the husband. If you get 1 intolerant person in a relationship whether that person is christian, Judaic, islamic, atheist the other person will either submit to the control or will rebel. I don't see intolerance as part of who Jesus is.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 PM

3,582 posts, read 460,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWay2MO View Post
Miss Martha, serving Christ is a way of life for a Believer, it has nothing to do with belief systems or churches, those are man made.

We can't fit verses to make them say what we want
Miss Martha was saying that the "church" makes verses fit what they want it to - like tying the unequally yoked verse to marriage where the lead up to this verse is about persecutions, etc who was persecuting the christians in the 1st century? was it wives or was it the Jews who were adhering to the Judaic law.

This is said about the situation in Corinth:-
Acts 18:12-13 And when Gallio was the deputy of Achaia, the Jews made insurrection with one accord against Paul, and brought him to the judgment seat, Saying, This fellow persuadeth men to worship God contrary to the law.

Following on from the be not unequally yoked passage:-
2 Cor 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

Paul still preached to the Jews in the synagogues but the exhortation was to not put themselves under the law but to come out from under the law

The christian religion tries to put people under the new testament law with its rules, regulations, rituals, misinterpretations, mistranslations etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity