U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,600,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Yes, of course it does go both ways.
I would just as easily have said: Any atheist who believes that they have all the answers and considers everybody else wrong, should only marry like-minded atheists.
My next sentence (Open-minded Christians get the benefit of being able to marry anybody they love.) applies directly to you. I'm sorry that it did not work out for you with your ex and I hope that you will remain as open-minded as ever (just pick a more open-minded mate, whatever their beliefs). Basically, if any closed-minds enter the equation, you better make sure that both minds are closed around the same idea.
I ended up picking a fabulous husband who ended up going to the same CHURCH as me... after the experience w/ my ex I actually set that criteria...not that I have a problem with atheists... I have many friends... and I suspect my sister is... that is THEIR choice and they must have a reason for it.. I never push MY faith on others...i just think it is a bit easier to have similar mind sets among mates- for myself... after experiencing it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,149,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post

The christian religion tries to put people under the new testament law with its rules, regulations, rituals, misinterpretations, mistranslations etc.
So forget the law and rules and do whatever makes you feel good?
Gee, just when I thought we were on the same page LOL.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 PM

3,582 posts, read 459,739 times
No,

Not whatever makes me feel good, I believe that the bible can be used to condone things that are not right and honourable and this has happened in the past and happens now.

What I am saying if you make it about following a law instead of what is right you can end up like the pharisees of Jesus day, they followed the law but had no love.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 PM

537 posts, read 1,149,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
No,

Not whatever makes me feel good, I believe that the bible can be used to condone things that are not right and honourable and this has happened in the past and happens now.

What I am saying if you make it about following a law instead of what is right you can end up like the pharisees of Jesus day, they followed the law but had no love.
I have thrown out most of the bath water, but it sounds like you are throwing out the baby with the bath water LOL.

Anyway, this is off topic, we can continue to discuss if you like under the law thread. Sounds like Freedom and yourself are going about it just fine

Old 01-23-2015, 03:31 PM

107 posts, read 106,979 times
BFrank and Miss Martha to the rescue!!

I think if we are going to go off of what some here are calling "The Truth" ie. literal translation, then it should also be noted that 2/3 of scriptures originally provided said the man could do/think whatever he wanted, yet woman must accept him for it. It's the problem with "The Truth", you can't take certain parts at face value and interpret others. If we are going by The Truth, we should be condemning the OP for even asking an intelligent question in the first place. What happens when one party loses their faith mid-marriage? Is that grounds for divorce? I thought that was a sin too? Do you shave every day? Are you currently wearing clothing made of mixed cloth? Do you ever speed to work?

As for the OP and BFrank and Miss Martha, I'm right on board. The word is much more adamant about the commitment of marriage, and having opposing views can be a bit of a hurdle. You both need to be in a really good place because it will take unlimited amounts of respect, self-confidence, and understanding. If your spouse loves to throw atheist rants in your face, or your religious spouse loves to throw fire and brimstone, you both are going to be in for an uphill battle. My interpretations of the passages provided are those of acceptance, by both parties. It is much easier to be with someone of the same beliefs, but it is not a sin either, otherwise Jesus could very well be the biggest and most frequent sinner in the whole book! Fully ACCEPT people for who they are and they life they choose, ESPECIALLY your spouse, because it is eternity after all and you're gonna need to be giving them a lot of free passes!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 PM

12,920 posts, read 4,954,327 times
Pastor: this thread has Risen!

Congregation: it has risen indeed! Hallelujah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity