Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times

Advertisements

This is very interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
If two people were married and one accepted Christ after their marriage and the other still has not then, I believe, I Corinthians 7:13, 16 would apply. IMO.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:52 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,004 times
Well, here is my take on the whole thing. I think that people take the unequally yoked passage out of context. I believe that I agree with what PG77 said. I think that it is more the type of people you surround yourself with than your spouse.

My husband is an athiest and I am not an athiest. This made it so that we could not get married in a church because the church refuses to marry a couple with different belief systems. (Don't get me started on that one). I wasn't too upset about that though because I wanted to dance at my reception and most churches frown on that as well.

My husband and I get along much better than some couples I have seen with the same belief systems as each other. My husband does not have any problem with us raising our children in my belief system and letting them know what his belief system is as well. We will ultimately let our children decide for themselves (as all children eventually do). I love and respect my husband regardless of what his viewpoint is on a higher power and we have not faced any issues due to our difference of belief systems.

I don't understand why the church makes such a big deal about this. If two people can love each other and respect each other despite their differences, why is it up to the church to decide whether or not they are sincere enough to get married in the church building. This really hurt my husband's feelings and probably made him dislike church (and he was never an anti church person before)

Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,316 times
Miss Martha, serving Christ is a way of life for a Believer, it has nothing to do with belief systems or churches, those are man made.

We can't fit verses to make them say what we want

Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 AM

I'm really sorry, but what does that have to do with what I said?

Also, people have been bending Biblical passages for centuries. Are you telling me that my interpretation of the scriptures is wrong? Who are you to decide this?

Also, what did that have to do with the topic?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
I'm really sorry, but what does that have to do with what I said?

Also, people have been bending Biblical passages for centuries. Are you telling me that my interpretation of the scriptures is wrong? Who are you to decide this?

Also, what did that have to do with the topic?
Everything, that is what I took from reading your response as you brought up belief systems and churches, go back over your response.

Who am I to decide this, I am His follower and I read the scripture as it is clearly stated.

We are to marry those in the Lord, read the verse I posted below. If you are already married to an unbeliever that is a different situation.

You can win your husband just by your conversations, what an awesome responsibility!

1Pe 3:1Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 AM

I was simply responding to the OP. For some reason, you felt the need to come in and attack what I posted. I really hope that made your day better because I am disgusted right now that anyone who calls themselves "His Follower" would be so rude and condescending.

So, please explain to me, why you having never met myself or my DH would have any right to bring into question the validity of our marriage. There are quite a few people who meet each other in a church, get married in a church and wind up divorced less than one year later.

You quote a scripture and then interject your own interpretation into it as to prove your point. How does this work. If you must use your own words, then it is obviously not "clearly stated" as you claim it is.

Maybe instead of attacking one person, you should just enter your own response to the OP and not aim it at one person or another.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
"Likewise ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands....that they be won over by the conversation of their wives" This is telling women that they must manipulate their husbands into their way of thinking. Seems like bad marital juju to me. I personally can't imagine that any god would care who we marry as long as the marriage is built on love and respect. One of my closest friends is a devout Christian, she is married to a devout Jew...they have raised four kids and taught them each their own belief, allowing those kids to accept the follow their own beliefs as they have come of age. The marriage is sound and wonderful, they are a great couple who have TOTAL love and respect for each other's beliefs...it's how marriage should be, as opposed to a marriage of deceit and manipulation as is suggested in 1Pe 3:1.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
"Likewise ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands....that they be won over by the conversation of their wives" This is telling women that they must manipulate their husbands into their way of thinking. Seems like bad marital juju to me.
I don't think this means manipulation. I think it just means that maybe their husbands will hear how their wives talk and live their lives by example and maybe, therefore, be drawn to Christ as a result.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Any Christian who believes that they have all of the answers and consider everybody else to be wrong, should definitely only marry like-minded Christians.
Open-minded Christians get the benefit of being able to marry anybody who they love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity