U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 PM

188 posts, read 453,927 times

Advertisements

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE SHARING AMONGST THEMSELVES, IN THEIR OWN LITERATURE, AND IN THEIR CHURCH MEETINGS, THAT YOU WHO READ YOUR BIBLE AND SPREAD THE WORD, OR MINISTER THE GOSPEL, OR SIMPLY BELIEVE/HAVE FAITH IN GOD, NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF RELATIONSHIP YOU HAVE WITH GOD AS A CHRISTIAN, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR RELIGION, YOU ARE SERVING THE DEVIL IF YOU DO NOT BECOME A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS..

Quoted from JWREFORM.org:
“It is evident that the antichrist, the apostate man of lawlessness, “the mystery of this lawlessness,” is Satan’s masterpiece in the form of an organization. It is an imitation of organized Christianity and so an opposer of it. As a replacement of true organized Christianity, it finds its expression in present-day Christendom, this name meaning the realm of Christianity. That is certainly a deceptive name, for Christendom is really the most powerful part of Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion, under the emperorship of Satan the Devil.” (Watchtower, May 1, 1981, p. 14)

Outside the true Christian congregation what alternative organization is there? Only Satan's organization.” (Watchtower, March 1, 1979, p. 24).

The churches of Christendom claim to be children of God, but they cannot be, for they grossly disobey God’s commandments on love and ‘slaughter their brother.’ They can only be children of ‘the wicked one.’” (Watchtower, May 1, 1989, p. 28)

“People who are members of false religions may sincerely believe that they are worshiping the true God. But they are really serving Satan. He is ‘the god of this world.’—2 Corinthians 4:4.” (rq lesson 4, p. 8)

What are your thoughts about the fact that no matter what your religion, you are viewed by JW's as serving satan?

Last edited by REFORMED; 08-04-2008 at 08:44 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMED View Post
JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE SHARING AMONGST THEMSELVES, IN THEIR OWN LITERATURE, AND IN THEIR CHURCH MEETINGS, THAT YOU WHO READ YOUR BIBLE AND SPREAD THE WORD, OR MINISTER THE GOSPEL, OR SIMPLY BELIEVE/HAVE FAITH IN GOD, NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF RELATIONSHIP YOU HAVE WITH GOD AS A CHRISTIAN, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR RELIGION, YOU ARE SERVING THE DEVIL IF YOU DO NOT BECOME A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS..

<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-family: Microsoft Sans Serif"><FONT face=Arial size=2>“The churches of Christendom claim to be children of God, but they cannot be, for they grossly disobey God’s commandments on love and ‘slaughter their brother.’ They can only be children of ‘the wicked one.’” (Watchtower, May 1, 1989, p. 28)

<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-family: Microsoft Sans Serif"><FONT face=Arial size=2>“The churches of Christendom claim to be children of God, but they cannot be, for they grossly disobey God’s commandments on love and ‘slaughter their brother.’ They can only be children of ‘the wicked one.’” (Watchtower, May 1, 1989, p. 28)

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Sorry about above mistake.... screwed up copy/paste...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM

352 posts, read 476,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMED View Post

“It is evident that the antichrist, the apostate man of lawlessness, “the mystery of this lawlessness,” is Satan’s masterpiece in the form of an organization. It is an imitation of organized Christianity and so an opposer of it. As a replacement of true organized Christianity, it finds its expression in present-day Christendom, this name meaning the realm of Christianity. That is certainly a deceptive name, for Christendom is really the most powerful part of Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion, under the emperorship of Satan the Devil.” (Watchtower, May 1, 1981, p. 14)

Outside the true Christian congregation what alternative organization is there? Only Satan's organization.” (Watchtower, March 1, 1979, p. 24).

The churches of Christendom claim to be children of God, but they cannot be, for they grossly disobey God’s commandments on love and ‘slaughter their brother.’ They can only be children of ‘the wicked one.’” (Watchtower, May 1, 1989, p. 28)
That is a little extreme if you ask me, I really never understood JW's. It's true to an extent that many modern churches today have begun to teach shallow and tainted messages that completely avoid Jesus and His love, but that isn't a prevalent problem among many other churches. Many teach on the concepts of grace and forgiveness while keeping as close to the Word as possible. To say that only Jehovah's Witnesses will survive God's judgement is a bit of a stretch. I really don't believe that Jesus really cares what denomination we are so long as we put Him at the front of our lives, obey the Words of the Bible, and follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Basically, love Jesus and love everyone around you and God will do the rest. But I do need to ask, why are JWs so sure that all other forms of Christianity today are invalid? They made some pretty cold claims in that quote and I am just curious as to why they think that is the case?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,566,813 times
Religion itself fills the bill fairly well IMO. Jesus' problems were not with 'sinners' but with those who claimed to represent God, those who were actually blocking the way to God by teaching their own exclusivity. That would be the scribes, sadducees, pharisees ect.

The word 'devil' in the Greek simply means "to cast down with words" ie: "accuse".

Satan is not a name either but means "adversary" or "opposer".

When a religion stands and claims it has the keys to God (to the exclusion of all others) then that religion becomes opposed to the truth of God.

The actual keys are already in the hearts of people, as Jesus taught "Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened unto you". Remember He taught all this BEFORE His crucifixion or resurrection. He also found greater faith in a hated (by the Jews) heathen Roman than He did in Israel.

It's ironic that Jesus does not tell the drunks and prostitutes and tax collectors "You are of your father the devil". Who does He say that to? Those who pointed the fingers at all the rest of mankind *accusing*.

Most religions fill this bill pretty well, including the JW's.

blessings,
- Byron

Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,151,713 times
Seems like scare tactics to me. Way too much energy expended on "words" and fear and accusations.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,920 times
I don't really care what they think. Others have accused me of worshiping the devil for various reasons. I'd start getting nervous if too many sects found my beliefs totally acceptable.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
That is a little extreme if you ask me, I really never understood JW's. It's true to an extent that many modern churches today have begun to teach shallow and tainted messages that completely avoid Jesus and His love, but that isn't a prevalent problem among many other churches. Many teach on the concepts of grace and forgiveness while keeping as close to the Word as possible. To say that only Jehovah's Witnesses will survive God's judgement is a bit of a stretch. I really don't believe that Jesus really cares what denomination we are so long as we put Him at the front of our lives, obey the Words of the Bible, and follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Basically, love Jesus and love everyone around you and God will do the rest. But I do need to ask, why are JWs so sure that all other forms of Christianity today are invalid? They made some pretty cold claims in that quote and I am just curious as to why they think that is the case?
Because they (the "Governing Body" (the 'dictators' or 'bosses' on top) believe that they get their "truth about God" from a "special class" of people called the "faithful and discreet slave". They believe that their "knowledge" comes directly through a "special class" of men who directly receive instruction from God. They will not say who these men are or who this group is..... in other words, it's a secret. They will only say that these special people receive special communication from God. They (JW's) believe that these men are the JW's direct line of communication with God. The JW's claim they would never challenge the F.D.S. and whatever these men say (the "slave class") they are right. To tell you the truth, I don't even know if there really is a group of people that they get their "special knowledge" from, or whether it's made up, because I've never seen any names of such people..... Here's more "stuff" from their literature concerning "the faithful slave":

"We should follow the instructions that the Head of the Christian congregation, Jesus Christ, gives through "the faithful and discreet slave," the appointed channel of God’s organization here on earth." (w90 10/1 p. 30)

"How vital it is for everyone in God’s family to submit loyally to the teachings and arrangements of the Great Theocrat, Jehovah, and his King-Son, Christ Jesus, as transmitted through the ‘faithful slave’ on earth! Since theocratic order begins with Jehovah himself and extends downward, never would we want to imitate Satan the Devil by becoming independent of theocratic rule." (w82 6/1 p. 17) (in other words, if you defy the 'faithful and discreet slave/Giverning Body of JW's, then you're imitating satan.)

and check out how they twist this scripture in Matthew to relate to themselves:
“Obeying Jehovah’s voice means obeying Jesus’ voice, for Jehovah himself told us to do so. (Matthew 17:5) What does Jesus, the Fine Shepherd, tell us to do? He teaches us to make disciples and to trust ‘the faithful and discreet slave.’ (Matthew 24:45; 28:18-20) Obeying his voice means our eternal life.” (w04 9/1, pp. 17-18)

and here's a bit more of the "cult-like" thinking:
"By submitting to the slave class, God’s people also show their subjection to the Master, Jesus Christ." (w02 10/1 p. 19)

[SIZE=2]Now, Jesus told us to do many things, but where does he say that we are to submit to the faithful and discreet slave? Granted, the faithful slave is portrayed by Jesus as a ‘good guy,’ but Jesus speaks about the slave as if his listeners personally have a chance to be the slave. Yet the Watchtower is making it sound as if Jesus commanded us to obey the faithful and discreet slave. Is there any such command in Matthew 24:45 or anywhere else? Moreover, the Governing Body is equating obedience to the faithful and discreet slave with obedience to the Governing Body, which chose itself as the faithful slave's representative, rather than the other way around. How might God and Jesus feel about the Governing Body wanting to place itself in an intermediary position between Jesus and humans? [/SIZE]

Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,949,170 times
I had some JW's come to my door and asked if I knew God. I said yes touched them on their head and told them he sends his blessing. They never came back.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I had some JW's come to my door and asked if I knew God. I said yes touched them on their head and told them he sends his blessing. They never came back.

ROLLING ON FLOOR HOLDING STOMACH LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY!!!

And to think they came to my door yesterday and I was in my pajamas and all I could say was "I'm an ex-JW and I could tell you a LOT of stuff that you don't know about your religion, so it's probably better that we don't talk."

....I shoulda done it your way!!!!!!!!!

(still laughing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or