Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:06 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times

Advertisements

My 3 month old neice is being baptized on Sunday, and my husband and I were asked to be her godparents. What gift can I get her? I was thinking of a tiny gold bracelet with a cross charm...but I can't find any online and don't know where I could go buy one.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
What about a beautiful Precious Moments Cross... they are really sweet... or a bible? My cousin got my duaghter a really sweet storybook of bible stories that came with at CD that sang the stories... My daughter loved it so much she wouldn't fall asleep unless I played it... now it has been so overplayed it is all scratched up... I wish I had burned it for her so we had a second copy. She still has the book and reads it all the time... she is very attached to it.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:14 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
A Welsh Lovespoon is a lovely gift . It used to be carved in Wales by a man for his beloved but is now for all occasions.

They are all hand-carved with different symbols ( including crosses if you want a Christian symbol) and make beautiful keep-sakes.

They make perfect long lasting presents and can be engraved with the Baby's name too.

We have bought many for different occasions and people have always loved them. It is something your niece can keep forever and that will have been carved just for her.

Lovespoons @ THE LOVESPOON GALLERY MUMBLES SWANSEA WALES.
Welsh Lovespoons Online Shop
Hand Carved Welsh Lovespoons Make Unique Celtic Gifts
Welsh Love Spoons - Celtic Lovespoons from Wales
Adam King:Welsh love spoons and besoms
Welsh Lovespoons Hand carved by Roy Phillips from West Wales
Welsh Love Spoons | Lovespoons from Wales - History / Tradition

They all ship to the US I think.
Also perfect for Weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, births, etc...

Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
A Welsh Lovespoon is a lovely gift . It used to be carved in Wales by a man for his beloved but is now for all occasions.

They are all hand-carved with different symbols ( including crosses if you want a Christian symbol) and make beautiful keep-sakes.

They make perfect long lasting presents and can be engraved with the Baby's name too.

We have bought many for different occasions and people have always loved them. It is something your niece can keep forever and that will have been carved just for her.
What an outstanding idea, Mooseketeer! My daughter, and her family, are stationed in Germany, (her husband is in the Air Force), and they have traveled quite a bit, while they've been there. One of the things she bought me, in her travels, is a lovely Welsh Lovespoon, (we have Welsh bloodlines in our background, along with Irish, Scottish, and English. Hence, my CD name), that I hang on my wall. To have a personally engraved one, for a baptism, would be a wonderful keepsake, that could be handed down for many generations.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Do you have a religious book and gift store in your area? They usually have a selection of baptismal gifts.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 38,824 times
Lightbulb Sorry, not meaning to judge, just alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
My 3 month old neice is being baptized on Sunday, and my husband and I were asked to be her godparents. What gift can I get her? I was thinking of a tiny gold bracelet with a cross charm...but I can't find any online and don't know where I could go buy one.

Any ideas?
Well, I think you should give her the gift of choice!!! Baptized with 3 months?? wasn't Jesus baptized with 33 years old? Does your niece know what sin is to be baptized? And what does she need a tiny gold bracelet with a cross for?? To show that her family doesn't know the word of God?the cross is the symbol of His death and He's alive, watching everything you do and feeling so sad... And she can't read yet so give a bible to her parent's and buy one for you too and read it! God bless you!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,987 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmunda View Post
Well, I think you should give her the gift of choice!!! Baptized with 3 months?? wasn't Jesus baptized with 33 years old? Does your niece know what sin is to be baptized? And what does she need a tiny gold bracelet with a cross for?? To show that her family doesn't know the word of God?the cross is the symbol of His death and He's alive, watching everything you do and feeling so sad... And she can't read yet so give a bible to her parent's and buy one for you too and read it! God bless you!

Agree..Amen

Old 12-07-2008, 02:50 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmunda View Post

Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 PM

5 posts, read 42,832 times
I absolutely agree with allowing the child/person to choose. But alas, it is not always up to us, and the person has a family that has control over things like that. Therefore, it is our role to play along at the time, go to the party, give the baptism gifts, and support the child as he/she grows. As the child grows up, you lead by example and show them how to be good people. You can expose them to other religions, as a baptism is not legally binding.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I saw this online. The charm is engraved with the baby's initial, which I think is better than a cross. (However, I also saw some baby rosaries online. Sure, she can't exactly pray the rosary yet, but the priest can bless it.)

Engraved God Child Bracelet | Personalized Godchild Jewelry | GiftsForYouNow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity