Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 AM

756 posts, read 2,574,826 times

Advertisements

Do you listen to Christian music?? how often?? is it a radio station or cds...
is it worship??? or entertainment..?

If you listen to Christian music...is it all you listen to??
do you listen to secular music? does anyone think it 'wrong' to listen to
secular music...???

thoughts????

And do differernt denominations have their "own" music????
I had a mormon friend....she never listened to Christian radio/music....does any specific religion have their own???
mormon.....catholic...???

Last edited by nay624; 08-15-2008 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:11 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
Not really, not on any religious grounds, but I've yet to find any I really like, it all seems to have a bubble gum sound (or faux heavy metal ick) and the lyrics seem to lack any profundity. I remember P. J. O'Rourke once suggesting their should be a compilation album of Christian music called "I found God and Lost my Talent"

Quote:
secular music...???
I've never heard anyone suggest listening to secular music is bad. Do these people read only Religious Fiction, or see only Religious Movies, look at only religious artwork, and Religious photographs?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:16 AM

756 posts, read 2,574,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post

I've never heard anyone suggest listening to secular music is bad. Do these people read only Religious Fiction, or see only Religious Movies, look at only religious artwork, and Religious photographs?
um ........ya..........kinda............
the ones I knew....ya know you get all saved and throw away all your heavy metal music.....

naaa. there are some groups I like. and I can even think of 2-3 very talanted...
but mostly they are about 1-2 yrs behind the latest sound...

just curious to see what people are doin....

Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 AM

537 posts, read 1,322,667 times
Quote:

If you listen to Christian music...is it all you listen to??
secular music...???

thoughts????

And do differernt denominations have their "own" music????
I had a mormon friend....she never listened to Christian radio/music....does any specific religion have their own???
mormon.....catholic...???

Funny you mention throwing out music, that is the first thing I did was throw out my hardcore rap and car stereo system, shocking I know .

Yes, I listen to Christian music, I don't think a lot of it on "christian" radio is very Christian though.
I listen to a little everyday. I like to sing hymns around the house too.

I listen to some Christian radio, mainly online. I have a few cd's.

It is mainly all I listen to. I listen to country/bluegrass once in awhile, it sounds better than a lot of modern christian stuff.

Do I think secular music is wrong? Are you sure you want me to answer this lol.
I think all things in our life we need to compare to the Word of God and see if it is something pleasing to God or pleasing to our flesh and the world.

I don't know about different denominations, that is a new one to me.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,053 times
CCM tends to annoy me in the same way that other Nashville music annoys me. Usually, if I'm going to listen to something directly Christian, it tends to fall into the Classical spectrum or within traditional hymnody.

I don't limit my listening based on the religion of the artist. In the same sense, I don't feel guilty about looking at secular architecture, paintings, reading secular books, seeing secular TV shows, etc... If I think it's good, I'll listen to it.

That being said, if a person's conscience bothers them, it's better to avoid whatever they think they should avoid than to torture themselves over it.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 AM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
I listen to the Christian Music on my iPod, but not any radio stations. Usually I only listen to it if it comes up in my playlist unless I'm in the mood to hear it. Mostly I listen to slightly older Christian...not REALLY older, but from like 10 years ago. The CD in my truck is Skillet, but mostly I listen to whatever comes up on my iPod.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
IMO Christian music has changed drastically;
part of the reason may be money
it appears to be more secular than ever, and I personally recently stopped turning on the gospel radio; most times when I do, I'm not sure if I have a secular station or not
by the rhythm; sometimes it is hard to get past this to hear the message;
I'm not trying to judge anyone artist and their motives and relationship to the Christ;
But there are times that I wonder.

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 08-15-2008 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 02:40 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times
I listen to a Christian Radio Station and personally I love it. I love all kinds of music though. I am comfortable with what is said on that station for my child who is often in the car with me. That being said, I listen to all kinds of music. Alison Krauss being my most favorite of all times.....
Not from just a Christian standpoint but from the standpoint of having a toddler, I don't want her listening to stuff that she can't handle or talk about yet. So I don't expose her to some music. She really loves Josh Groban though....she dances everytime she hears "You raise me up"... tee hee hee

I still have a hard time listening to Steven Curtis Chapman's "Cinderella" knowing what he and his family have been through, but that is one of my favorite songs.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM

286 posts, read 804,701 times
I like Christmas music! does that count? lol

Old 08-15-2008, 08:43 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
As long as it's not Jingle Bells. lol
Religious Christmas songs are good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity