Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:53 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Actually, a theory is nothing more than conceptual speculation and requires no evidence to support it. Only after a theory has been proven true by undeniable evidence can it then be considered fact. The fact that everything has come from something provides reasonable evidence to support belief in a creator. I know that is not enough, but it is not irrational and certainly cannot be excluded without evidence to the contrary.
Nothing can qualify as a theory unless it can be tested, so yeah, you're wrong.
Quote:
...therefore you must have all of the answers about origin, meaning, morality, and hope - without God.
I'm not going to make up some invisible man to fill in the gaps when I come across something I don't understand.
Quote:
I was raised a musician, yet that did not make me a professional. In fact, the more I learned, the more I realized how little I actually knew about the musical language.
You don't know me nor do I know you, so don't speak on something you have no clue about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:53 AM

352 posts, read 553,019 times
Haaz, it's time the issue comes to an end. Didn't you read Alpha's post? You, and a few of us, are violating some of the rules that are applied to this forum by openly attacking people and taking the thread way off the original topic. For all people, the attacks have to stop or the thread will have to be discontinued.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Your question was about life existing and whatnot. Existence itself in no way points to creation...
No my question asked what makes things "alive". Why can't we create "life"? We can make things dead, but we can't make things "live" from dead. (Really dead, not dormant)

But based on your reply, I'll simply ask: So how did life start then? Initial causation.

Quote:
Did I also mention that you can't answer my question? Oh yeah, I did. Thank you and good night.
So I guess by your definition we both live by faith then.

Thank YOU and goodnight.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
No my question asked what makes things "alive". Why can't we create "life"? We can make things dead, but we can't make things "live" from dead. (Really dead, not dormant)
Uhh, because we don't know how to create life. Sure, we know how to replicate it (cloning), but that's different. Does that prove your god's existence? No it doesn't. When you can prove to me that life requires a creator, then your argument has some merit. Until then, it's useless.
Quote:
But based on your reply, I'll simply ask: So how did life start then? Initial causation.
Natural causes.
Quote:
So I guess by your definition we both live by faith then.

Thank YOU and goodnight.
Evolution has been tested and observed in many labs.

Take a few biology/genetics courses at a university. See how 'faith based' evolution is.

Check and mate.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Uhh, because we don't know how to create life.
Really? So what gives stuff "life" then? If we can't create it, we can at least understand it right? I mean since science has a lock on it and all.

I'm just sayin...

Quote:
Natural causes.
So you believe that something can come from nothing with no source of initiation?

That's not science...that's magic. *poof*. LOL

Quote:
Evolution has been tested and observed in many labs.
It's a theory. Takes faith to believe it's "fact".

Hmm, this sounds awfully familiar.

Quote:
Check and mate.
I'm not playing a game. Sorry to disappoint you.

Anyhow, all that song and dance to say you still can't answer the original question poised to you.
Tell me what gave you life. How did your flesh become "alive" and why can't we make "dead stuff" become "alive"?

How do plants become "alive"?

How does anything become "alive"?

When you can "spew out" THAT answer - you'll find YOUR answer.
I still stand by it. When you find that answer - you've found yours. Think about it for more than 5 minutes - it's deeper than "forum chess".

Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
I'll take faith over foolishness any day!

Old 08-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Really? So what gives stuff "life" then? If we can't create it, we can at least understand it right? I mean since science has a lock on it and all.
We learn more everyday. Scientists don't have all the answers and don't claim to.

Quote:
So you believe that something can come from nothing with no source of initiation?
What is it with you creationists? Why is is that if somebody doesn't believe the creation story, they automatically believe "Something came from nothing."? That's an absolutely foolish assumption and is completely ridiculous.
Quote:
That's not science...that's magic. *poof*. LOL
Your attempts to discredit me are useless. All you did was just argue against your own assumption. What a waste of energy.

Quote:
It's a theory. Takes faith to believe it's "fact".

Hmm, this sounds awfully familiar.
Evolution happens. That's a fact. How it happens is a theory. Once again, you show your ignorance of science.

Quote:
I'm not playing a game. Sorry to disappoint you.

Anyhow, all that song and dance to say you still can't answer the original question poised to you.
Tell me what gave you life. How did your flesh become "alive" and why can't we make "dead stuff" become "alive"?

How do plants become "alive"?

How does anything become "alive"?

When you can "spew out" THAT answer - you'll find YOUR answer.
I still stand by it. When you find that answer - you've found yours. Think about it for more than 5 minutes - it's deeper than "forum chess".
Your argument doesn't hold the water you think it does. Until you can prove to me that life requires a creator, then the answer to your question is natural causes.

Once again, you fail.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 PM

Default Truth!!! Are you open?

No one is saying that science doesn't hold some valid, logical points, facts, proven theories; it does, no one is trying to deny that. Creation, however, isn't one of them. So how so you tell an atheist that God created the universe?

How do you begin to tell about truth, when truth is the one thing you won't listen to? I think you will need to have an open ear, and a open heart if you want to hear a Christian side of why we believe that God is the Creator of the universe. You must be willing to hear about Jesus my friend. You know, truth and all. First, if you know Jesus, he introduces you to truth. Secondly, if you know truth, it introduces you to Jesus. They're inseparable. One aspect of God's eternal nature is truth.

See, God cannot lie. He cannot lie for at least two reason: (1) truth is part of his nature and, (2) there is no evil in Him. Because God cannot lie, we place faith in Him. We rely on His words and trust His promises. Completely. That's where faith comes in. So I ask you my friend, truth, how open are you?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
No one is saying that science doesn't hold some valid, logical points, facts, proven theories; it does, no one is trying to deny that. Creation, however, isn't one of them. So how so you tell an atheist that God created the universe?

How do you begin to tell about truth, when truth is the one thing you won't listen to? I think you will need to have an open ear, and a open heart if you want to hear a Christian side of why we believe that God is the Creator of the universe. You must be willing to hear about Jesus my friend. You know, truth and all. First, if you know Jesus, he introduces you to truth. Secondly, if you know truth, it introduces you to Jesus. They're inseparable. One aspect of God's eternal nature is truth.

See, God cannot lie. He cannot lie for at least two reason: (1) truth is part of his nature and, (2) there is no evil in Him. Because God cannot lie, we place faith in Him. We rely on His words and trust His promises. Completely. That's where faith comes in. So I ask you my friend, truth, how open are you?
I was raised in a Christian family.

Fact: The majority of atheists are raised in some kind of religion.

I don't know why Christians get this idea that atheists don't know anything about Christianity just because we don't believe it. You couldn't be more wrong.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I was raised in a Christian family.

Fact: The majority of atheists are raised in some kind of religion.

I don't know why Christians get this idea that atheists don't know anything about Christianity just because we don't believe it. You couldn't be more wrong.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong. But in all you're "knowing", about Jesus Christ, you still choose to go to hell? I'm not talking about Christianity the religion, the wearing of the label. I'm talking about a relationship with Christ Jesus. In all that you know, this is you're decision? I'm just curious. Are you certainly positive about throwing it all in? You know it's never to late to reconsider right?

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 08-26-2008 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity