Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times

Advertisements

Here in the bible belt it is not hard to see the hatred by christians of even other christians play out on an all to frequent basis.

As a firefighter, I attended the funeral for a firefighter from a neighboring department that was killed in the line of duty. The preacher from his church officiated, but the funeral was attended by hundreds and hundreds of firefighters and families from across the state.

This so call man of god spend at least 40 minutes telling everyone that was not a follower of "his" narrow views (he was pentecostal) they were going to hell, then he singled out the baptists specifically and made it perfectly they especially were going to hell.

And not once did this hate filled ignorant loon even mention the man in the flag draped coffin before him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,787 times
A true christian would want to help everyone who was not a christian, why would they want to see you burn in hell? I am agnostic but was once a believer.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
A true christian would want to help everyone who was not a christian, why would they want to see you burn in hell? I am agnostic but was once a believer.
The fundamentalist sects of christianity teach that follower must hate those that are different. It was the root cause of racism, which is still rampant with the fundies, and of course the new minority to hate, homosexuals. I guess redheads or left handed people should be wary, for they may well be the next minority that are different targeted by the ignorance of fundy blind hatred.

It's an integral part of their belief system, and they could no more give it up than saying amen or other ritualistic practices.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The fundamentalist sects of christianity teach that follower must hate those that are different. It was the root cause of racism, which is still rampant with the fundies, and of course the new minority to hate, homosexuals. I guess redheads or left handed people should be wary, for they may well be the next minority that are different targeted by the ignorance of fundy blind hatred.

It's an integral part of their belief system, and they could no more give it up than saying amen or other ritualistic practices.
uh-oh, I'm really in trouble now!! But you know, left-handed people used to be thought to be of the devil......and were tortured by others into using their right hands. It happened to my grandmother.

I don't necessarily agree that all fundamentalist sects of Christianity teach hate of those who are different, it's a roundabout teaching of intolerance that leads to hate imo. Either way, it leads to the same thing.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I find non-Christian religions to often be fascinating. Human ways of trying to understand how to build society and connect to something transcendent or whatever. I have, in the past, been annoyed when I'd read a Catholic blogger compare Hindu gods to comic-book superheroes. I think many of those other religions were trying to understand things and representing their fears, desires, hopes, dreams, etc into the form of gods. (The atheists I read as a kid tended to feel like that about any religion. That it was a sincere attempt to understand themselves or our place in the Universe or whatever. Not sure why many atheists decided to go back to the Wells/McCabe/Ingersoll era of "You're all idiots.")

Maybe in some ideal way I'd think everyone should be a Christian, but in a real-world way I understand/respect keeping with one's traditions or joining what one feels/thinks is right. Unless one is actively against God or Neighbor I think they can be alright, particularly if they're just ignorant. (That might sound "down on atheists" but atheists aren't inevitably devoted to undermining theism in others, I imagine most have better things to do with their time)

Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
I have happened to notice that none of the UR crowd gets singled out .... only those nasty fundamentialists .......

So typical of hypocratics ... on the one hand, it's intolerance for Christians to want everybody to go to heaven, but none of the athesists is apparently smart enough to figure out that your buddies (the UR'ers) insist you are going to heaven (by force if neccessary)

So what we have is the enlightened athesists all upset no matter .... you're bad if you want all to go to heaven, but even worse if you let the athesist have their way.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I have happened to notice that none of the UR crowd gets singled out .... only those nasty fundamentialists .......

So typical of hypocratics ... on the one hand, it's intolerance for Christians to want everybody to go to heaven, but none of the athesists is apparently smart enough to figure out that your buddies (the UR'ers) insist you are going to heaven (by force if neccessary)

So what we have is the enlightened athesists all upset no matter .... you're bad if you want all to go to heaven, but even worse if you let the athesist have their way.
THat's because the fundamentalist types are mostly the culprits of instilling hate........UR is about loving God and your neighbor. This is not about UR/ET TwinSpin, you're making it into something it's not and taking the thread off topic.

The intolerance comes from any Christian, fundamentalist or not, who is judgmental and condemning of anyone different from themselves or what they believe. Yes, a healthy Christian would want everyone to go to heaven so therefore they wish for everyone to become a Christian but they don't condemn and say others are going to some imaginary torture chamber if they don't convert NOW. Why can't you see how damaging this is to the Christian faith?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

I was a bit uncomfortable with that, but Asheville's kind of out there.

I don't care for Fundamentalism, but I personally don't think they're all universally taught to hate people different than themselves. Some of them might genuinely be scared people of other faiths are going to Hell and mean any hectoring in a "loving" way. There are also Fundamentalist churches that aren't particularly Evangelical. They think others will find their way on their own or maybe they feel they're "an elect" and that not everyone is meant to live like them. At least it seems like I've heard of "we'll live strictly and mind our own business" kind of Fundamentalists.

In fact I think Ilene was even a bit uncomfortable going as far as just flatly saying they're all taught they "must hate those that are different."

Old 12-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
uh-oh, I'm really in trouble now!! But you know, left-handed people used to be thought to be of the devil......and were tortured by others into using their right hands. It happened to my grandmother.
Same with my grandmother, she was forced to write only with her right hand in school. Later in life it did come in handy when she fell and shattered her left wrist for she only had to go to the bank and change her signature.
She was also a watercolor artist, and it allowed her to continue her passion for painting while she healed.
Daughter is left handed, and youngest grandson also. At least they weren't forced to write with their non-dominate hand.

But since they represent a minority that are different, I figure it is only time before they will be targeted, along with redheads and gay people.

Oh wait, white (Caucasian) people are expected to be a minority by 2050 in the US. These very white very fundy churchs are going to have to start hating themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I don't necessarily agree that all fundamentalist sects of Christianity teach hate of those who are different, it's a roundabout teaching of intolerance that leads to hate imo. Either way, it leads to the same thing.
Yea, I just cut to the chase, the details of the steps to the end result isn't the real issue, but the end result certainly is.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
It just seems very close-minded and ignorant. You should respect other people's beliefs. You cant make some believe something they don't. It'd be the same as if someone tried to make you a pagan.
But if I believe that a non-believer is destined for Hell, then I would want to keep that person from such a fate.
However, I do respect a person's right to believe as they wish, and generally, will only discuss if a person is open and receptive. In this society most people at least have an inkling of what Christianity is about, and the means to look into it further if they wish. You can't beat someone into Heaven with a Bible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity