Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 05:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

And now you are criticizing Jesus Himself for not appearing to more people.

You are in serious error. And your lack of understanding is your own fault.
Yep, as Jesus appeared to some 500 people and it included some who had not believed, like his brother James.

Seeing something is no guarantee of belief as many saw Jesus raise Lazarus and .... plotted to kill both of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:52 PM

392 posts, read 352,120 times
The Romans would not give Paul the status he wanted. This ambitious opportunist was the curse of Christianity. The man NEVER even met Christ face to face. Paulism for the most part is what the Vatican is all about. Christ was not a politician - Paul was a Paulitician.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
The Romans would not give Paul the status he wanted. This ambitious opportunist was the curse of Christianity. The man NEVER even met Christ face to face. Paulism for the most part is what the Vatican is all about. Christ was not a politician - Paul was a Paulitician.
And the reason why anyone should accept what you say is ........................................

Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardtheConfessor View Post
Mike555,

1. You wrote: "It is liberal scholars who deny the Petrine authorship of 1 and 2 Peter."

If you are so sure about that, then please provide names.

2. You wrote: "Paul states that he was called as an apostle in Romans 1:1; 1 Cor. 1:1; 2 Cor. 1:1; Gal. 1:1; Eph. 1:1; 1 Tim. 1:1; 2 Tim. 1:1; Tit. 1:1."

Exactly, he himself makes the claim. Likewise, I could call myself an apostle... so what?

Also, you added, "Again, an apostle is called by God. Not chosen by men. Paul was God's choice. Not Matthias."

Are you saying that the Holy Spirit is useless? Have you forgotten that Jesus also gave the Holy Spirit to the apostles before the day of Pentecost?

John 20:21-22 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

Also, have you forgotten this?

Matthew 18:18-20 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. 19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

That's exactly what happened in Acts 1:23-26: So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

So how can you continue to say that Matthias was wrongly named an apostle? Was his status withdrawn after Pentecost? Of course not. So in Revelation 21:14, Paul could not have been one of the 12 apostles of the Lamb. It just adds to the case against Paul as a liar and a deceiver.

I already pointed out to you that it was the Holy Spirit who commanded that Paul and Barnabas be set aside for the first missionary journey. The details are in Acts chapter 13.

Furthermore, Paul had the confidence and endorsement of all the apostles and of the whole church as Acts 15:22-25 shows quite clearly.
Acts 15:22 Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas-- Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, 23] and they sent this letter by them, "The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings. 24] "Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls, 25] it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Luke also reports that God performed many miracles through Paul (Acts 19:11).

So while you and those of your ilk attempt to discredit the apostle Paul and call him a liar and a deceiver, he had the support of the other apostles and of the entire church. Scripture says that Paul was an apostle. You claim that he wasn't. I believe the Word of God. You do not.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-21-2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I read your post.... and I'm thinking Matt 16:23 comes to mind.

Here are some things that jump out;

Paul was not genuine
Paul poses too many problems
No good reason to believe Paul
Jesus came to Paul was "out of place"
Jesus does not visit anyone
Jesus can not cause blindness
Paul contradicted Jesus
Paul was opposed to do good works
Paul said to forget the law because it causes sin
Paul insults God
Paul has a satanic affliction
Paul was a deceiver and a divider
Anyone who believes the whole Bible is an unbeliever

So... lets think for a moment. You accuse, you condemn, you embellish, you impose, your prideful. Who's work is that? Stand behind me.... you have a whole lot more learning to do grasshopper. Where's the love?

...just sayin'
I stand behind my observation of your words... there is no judgement here. However, If this is judgement in your eyes then so be it.

Your belief is deeply etched into your mind. Your words do not reflect the testimony of the Holy Spirit, and in fact lack any Christian dichotomy or forbearance. Your self affirmed position is fine with me but your accusations and condemnation is beyond the pale. Remember those are your words, those are worldly words. Zero love from you.
1 Corinthians 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Matt 16:23

Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
I already pointed out to you that it was the Holy Spirit who commanded that Paul and Barnabas be set aside for the first missionary journey. The details are in Acts chapter 13.

Furthermore, Paul had the confidence and endorsement of all the apostles and of the whole church as Acts 15:22-25 shows quite clearly.
Acts 15:22 Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas-- Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, 23] and they sent this letter by them, "The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings. 24] "Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls, 25] it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,

So while you and those of your ilk attempt to discredit the apostle Paul and call him a liar and a deceiver, he had the support of the other apostles and of the entire church. Scripture says that Paul was an apostle. You claim that he wasn't. I believe the Word of God. You do not.
Peter was to be Apostle to the Gentiles...

Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Peter was to be Apostle to the Gentiles...
Which is what I said in both post #349 and #352.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:32 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
How do you explain what gospel writer Luke wrote about Paul and Lord Jesus at Acts 9 vs 4 - 6 ?

Who wrote first, Paul or gospel writer John ? ______ According to Scripture Paul wrote before John.

John's words have corresponding or parallel references to what Paul wrote.

If Paul was the curse of Christianity, then what does that make gospel writer John ?_______

Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:

Where did the other Apostles name him an Apostle...

Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,016 times
Quote:

Dear Mike,
I don't want to appear to be ganging up on you, but the author of Acts appeared to be an associate of Paul's, and probably the same author of Luke. Luke had admitted that he just compiled stories from other people (Luke 1:2), and most probably his best source was Paul. Besides the point that second party witnesses are not able to establish any matter (Dt 19:15, Mt 18:16), either Paul didn't deliver the letter or didn't believe in it, for his "Christian" church engages in the things forbidden in the letter supposedly given to him by James. A story from Paul, about Paul, does not give Paul any standing. John 5:31 The fact that the note contained material, that was characterized by James as "in my judgment" was included as the Word of God, is just another nail in the coffin for Paul and his church and its canon. Paul, nor Peter is not the "Rock" the church is built on.. (Mt 7:24) Dt. 32:4 "The rock! His work is perfect, For all His ways are just; God of faithfulness and with injustice, righteous and upright is He."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity