U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,568,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
My parents both pretty much threw out the baby with the bathwater when they started studying. After seeing all the hypocrisy and BLINDNESS in the religious system, they just kind of gave up. My dad eventually started studying UR, though. I guess he was still hopeful.

I dropped EVERYTHING and just wandered around doing pretty much whatever I wanted, but I was still looking for truth. That nagging feeling just wouldn't let go.

I hope people realize that the myths and legends all have truths in them. Somebody rescuing this planet and bringing us back from death is a big part of that truth. I believe that whoever put us here is still here, and there is still hope.

Those humans that are in charge of this planet right now are blind and cannot bring about the changes we need. I look forward to the day when we will all be truly free.

great post!
peace,
sparrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 PM

21,174 posts, read 20,798,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Were the 12 apostles hand picked by Jesus and did they need to be eye witnesses of his baptism and resurrection?
While the original twelve were hand-picked by Jesus, and were witnesses to the resurrection, that is not a prerequisite for apostleship. That the original organization of the Church (with Prophets and Apostles) was intended to be permanent in nature is pretty clear from the scriptures, and even to some extent from early tradition. Whenever an Apostle died, another man was called to fill the vacancy his death created. Matthias was almost immediately called to replace Judas. Paul and Barnabus were also called, even though the scriptures don't specifically mention who it was they replaced. Finally, James (the brother the Jesus) is referred to as an Apostle in Galatians. Look at the number of times in the New Testament the Apostles are referred to as "the twelve." This was an authoritative body that had been established under the direction of the Savior himself. Since only Apostles would have had the authority to call other Apostles, when all of them had died without replacements, the intended succession ceased.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:42 PM

3,576 posts, read 446,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
While the original twelve were hand-picked by Jesus, and were witnesses to the resurrection, that is not a prerequisite for apostleship. That the original organization of the Church (with Prophets and Apostles) was intended to be permanent in nature is pretty clear from the scriptures, and even to some extent from early tradition. Whenever an Apostle died, another man was called to fill the vacancy his death created. Matthias was almost immediately called to replace Judas. Paul and Barnabus were also called, even though the scriptures don't specifically mention who it was they replaced. Finally, James (the brother the Jesus) is referred to as an Apostle in Galatians. Look at the number of times in the New Testament the Apostles are referred to as "the twelve." This was an authoritative body that had been established under the direction of the Savior himself. Since only Apostles would have had the authority to call other Apostles, when all of them had died without replacements, the intended succession ceased.
Kat, This is one of those old past threads catching up with me .....

Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM

21,174 posts, read 20,798,763 times
Quote:
LOL! I hate it when I do that. I need to start looking at dates. Oh well... At least you got my two cents worth.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,374,848 times
Quote:

Did you used to wonder if Paul might be a false apostle?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL! I hate it when I do that. I need to start looking at dates. Oh well... At least you got my two cents worth.
I used to do that a lot

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Did you used to wonder if Paul might be a false apostle?
Only briefly ... it was when I was first questioning everything .....

When I was growing up in a Christian home the things that made sense to me were the 10 commandments and Jesus saying "do unto others as you would have them do to you". I could see hyprocacy in the church and things that were being taught were not adding up but I did not know why or how they were not adding up because of being "indoctrinated" ......... when I was around 15/16 I stopped going to church and it is only years later that I had an "awakening" by the HS, I could see that christianity was divided into lots of sects and denominations and did not know which denomination had the truth so I reads lots of everything ........

Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
great post!
peace,
sparrow

Thanks, sparrow.

I just get a little sad when those that once believed in Christ dump everything because they start finding out what MEN have done to the scriptures and start finding corruption in the system.

I know this thread is about false apostles, but you don't have to throw out everything just because you find contradictions or half-truths. I say keep searching, and don't ever give up, false apostles or not.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks, sparrow.

I just get a little sad when those that once believed in Christ dump everything because they start finding out what MEN have done to the scriptures and start finding corruption in the system.

I know this thread is about false apostles, but you don't have to throw out everything just because you find contradictions or half-truths. I say keep searching, and don't ever give up, false apostles or not.
Amen to that .........

Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Only briefly ... it was when I was first questioning everything .....

When I was growing up in a Christian home the things that made sense to me were the 10 commandments and Jesus saying "do unto others as you would have them do to you". I could see hyprocacy in the church and things that were being taught were not adding up but I did not know why or how they were not adding up because of being "indoctrinated" ......... when I was around 15/16 I stopped going to church and it is only years later that I had an "awakening" by the HS, I could see that christianity was divided into lots of sects and denominations and did not know which denomination had the truth so I reads lots of everything ........

Oh. Okay. Thanks for the explanation! I guess we all have those moments, some people earlier than others. I'm glad your trek led you to UR instead of, well, those other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity