U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:11 AM

7,811 posts, read 10,700,409 times

Advertisements

He said to him, “Follow Me.”

June is curious what you all make of the above. She inquires merely due to the sheer simplicity of the two words involved. -There exists no caveat; no force of will, no threat of what shall happen if one does not. Just two words; a simple invitation.

June simply asks out of curiosity. Nothing more.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
"Follow Me" is the "Great Commision".

Christians are so caught up in spreading the gospel, but they haven't been conformed yet into His image - so what are they spreading? Jesus beckoned us to take up our cross, being made comformable unto His death, and the life that comes from dying would then free a world in bondage.

But we instead do this on our own, having little - if any - life to give.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:38 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,008,521 times
It is beautiful in it's simplicity, June.

Follow Me, and My ways.
Follow Me, therefore you believe in Me.
Follow Me, and you have salvation.
Follow Me, and I will be your advocate.
Follow Me, and I will love you unconditionally.
Follow Me, and I will follow you all the days of your life.
Follow Me, and you will have life everlasting.

Those two words say it all.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,880,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

June is curious what you all make of the above. She inquires merely due to the sheer simplicity of the two words involved. -There exists no caveat; no force of will, no threat of what shall happen if one does not. Just two words; a simple invitation.

Thanks.
Yes, such simple words carrying with them such immense power and authority. "Follow Me", to me means to go in the way that He went, do as He did, live as He lived, treat others as He treated others, etc.

When I read those words, the immediate image I got was of the childhood game "Follow the Leader". There was a leader and all the children would line up behind the leader and parade around behind the leader. Turning wherever the leader turned, stopping when the leader stopped, moving when the leader moved and in essence doing all that the leader did.

When Jesus called and said "Follow Me", I believe that is what He meant. To follow Him in the footsteps that He took and live according to how He lived. A life devoted to God and the call upon His life. A life that was sustained by God and His word and not swayed with whatever direction the wind was blowing. A life that stood against temptations and called them as they were. A life that gave all praise and glory to God to whom it is due. A life that understood that what was important was the end result, more than the here and now. A life that sought to bless others and serve, rather than be served and blessed. A life that gave so much more than it took. A life that brought upon healing and comfort to those in need. A life that was pleasing before the Lord.

To me, that is what He meant when He said "Follow Me". Such simple words, yet so life impacting.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,662,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Thanks.
Beautiful thread, June, and those words of Jesus are simple, yet profound.

What was the result on the people who were asked this question?
Matthew 4:18 ¶ And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.
21 And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them.
22 And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.

Matthew 9:9 ¶ And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him.

Mark 2:14 And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.

Mark 10:17 ¶ And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

Luke 9:59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
Two simple words, yet they meant everything.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,498,618 times
I think to understand what those two words mean to the Christian you have to know as much about the one you're following as possible.

The people He said those words to dropped everything and committed the next 3 years to Him.

We have the scriptures to show us a glimpse of what following Christ looked like.

You raise an interesting point though, June.

Let me pose the thought in the form of a question:

When were Peter, Matthew, and Andrew saved?

When did they 'get saved'?

I have opinions and hope you don't think my post too off-topic.

I'll reserve further comments until others have weighed in.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
Simple answer...

Follow me, so that others may follow you...

Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,581,285 times
Follow Him................because this road.................leads...................to LIFE!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,260,063 times
Very beautiful and simple words....and words one will never regret hearing! And their response of saying, "YES"!!!
But I believe one who hears those words are somewhat familiar with the One who is asking! God's grace has been drawing, witnessing through possibly someone's life and preparing the heart to hear the words, "Follow Me"!!
Giving the choice to choose! I don't believe a person will just pick up and follow someone blindly without being familiar with that individuals life. And longing for what that person has offered to them!!

The answer to Alpha question, I believe Peter, Matthew, and Andrew received their salvation the moment they said, yes, in their hearts to the call, "Follow Me"... John 3:16. And it is the same for the whole world who also hears!!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
I don't believe a person will just pick up and follow someone blindly without being familiar with that individuals life.
But consider Abram. Chosen from Ur of the Chaldees (a land where the inhabitants basically worshiped anything that moved), a pagan society, he heard a voice that he did not recognize.

Enter God's sovereignty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity