U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,037,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I appreciate you appreciating my OPINION, preterist, but can I SUGGEST if you would like to encourage people to engage in BIBLE STUDY with you, would'nt it be fair to WARN others that you are coming to them from a PRETERIST stand point? At least that way they can prepare/cover themselves before engaging in a conversation with YOU?
LOL, Betsey Lane. How much plainer can I make it? Have you not noticed my signature which I have used from my very first post? Why do I call myself Preterist! This is really too funny.

Maybe I should have capitalized it, italicized it, underlined it, made it bold, and placed a bunch of exclamation points after it! Yes, that would have been much clearer!

PRETERIST!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,331,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
This passage... by useage of the word "we" ... very clearly demonstrates an expectation that this was to happen while some of the people receiving this letter were still alive. Remember when this letter was written and who it was written to. The passsage does not read, "There will come a day in the distant future when people will be caught up ...". One person writing a letter to a group of people in their own time and saying "we". How anyone could reasonably extrapolate this out to a time period 2000 years later is beyond me. For all the spiritual elitism and self-righteousness that futurists like to throw around, futurism is far more unbiblical than preterism.
I'm firmly convinced that no one knew when these events would occur but they were expecting "any day now". How could they do otherwise? But, they were going on the words of Jesus, and much of what he said could be construed to be in their time. But not necessarily. We now have the benefit of knowing from hindsight, that it definitely was not in their time.

So, year by year for 2000 years, it has been easy for those born into successive generations to extrapolate beyond the original writing. They couldn't do otherwise. I find it wonderfully appropriate that the scripture uses "We". Why not? "We" are one body and one church through all of time. I would have used "We" also.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 PM

738 posts, read 1,661,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthedeer View Post
so do you deny the resurrection of physical bodies?
Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.

Eccl 9:5 The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all.

Psalms 146:4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish

Isa 26:14 They are dead; they will not live. Impotent in death, they will not rise up.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 PM

20,322 posts, read 15,670,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.

This is a reference to physical death. It is referring only to the body.This is why the body needs to be resurrected.

Quote:
Eccl 9:5 The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all.
Solomon was looking at life from under the sun. Ecclesiastes is about Solomon at a time in his life when he had turned his back on God and was looking at life from the human viewpoint. His thoughts were no different from those of an unbeliever who thinks that when you die, you die. The thinking of Solomon at this point was incorrect. God had this period of Solomons life recorded in the Bible in order that we have a record of what turning your back on God does to you. Eccl 9:5 is simply Solomons incorrect beliefs at this time in his life.

Quote:
Psalms 146:4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish
Bad translation. It is better translated as 'in that day his plans or his intentions come to nothing'. In other words now that he has died, whatever plans he had, whatever he intended to do, will no longer come to pass.

Quote:
Isa 26:14 They are dead; they will not live. Impotent in death, they will not rise up.
The correct translation is; 'Dead they live not, Rephaim,they rise not.' The Rephaim are a branch of the Nephilim which are mentioned in Gen. 6:4. See also, Numbers 13:33; Deut 2:10,11. The Rephaim will not take part in the resurrection, nor will any of the Nephilim. Believers are not in view here. The word 'Rephaim' was incorrectly translated as 'departed.'

Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,121,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
No ... I did understand you ... I was just quoting your post to make my own point. My apologies for the confusion.

I'm not certain I'm sold on the preterist point of view (partial or full), but I am at the point where it is obvious to me that it is the most biblically defensible position.

Futurism relies far to much on interpolation, speculation, and inductive reasoning whereas preterism can stand on it's own within biblical text without any external jockeying of information.
You keep studying and you'll be a Preterist yet...it is the only view that is 100% biblically and historically accurate.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,455,722 times
So if Christ Himself came and tap you on the shoulders, you'll know for a fact, historically proven and accurate, beyond the reason of a doubt that's not Him because He already made His one and only appearance in 70AD and possibly could'nt come again? According to you?

okay.......talk about funny, REALLY?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,291,089 times
Quote:
So if Christ Himself came and tap you on the shoulders, you'll know for a fact, historically proven and accurate, beyond the reason of a doubt that's not Him because He already made His one and only appearance in 70AD and possibly could'nt come again? According to you?

You are imagining the unimaginable of the flesh. Christ will come and touch you no doubt, but it won't be on the shoulder.

He will judge each and every one of us when we die. We will directly give an account of our life after our death. Our works.

If people would bother to examine the scripture properly we wouldn't be here talking about it this. But the pains of the flesh drive us to it.
The pains of the flesh drive us yearning for an escape, a fleshly Jesus king to rule the nations on earth with a rod of iron, from Jerusalem above all else. The pains of the flesh call on our congregation to support Israel, Judaist Israel, and those pains allow the acceptance of animal sacrifices, a temple and the adherance to a law that was completely, interpolarly, undoubtedly, fulfilled in Jesus Christ's death.

Jesus finished the transgression, He made an end of sin and death if you so follow Him, He reconciled iniquity, and He brought in everlasting righteousness, and He sealed up the vision and prophecy, for He was the annointed one.

Jesus caused the sacrifice and oblation to cease. He did this by confiming the Abrahamic covenant with His death for many...all Jews and Gentiles.
He was cut off, killed for His people, Israel...all Israel, Jew and Gentile, and He, the Christ, that shall come, He destroyed the city and sanctuary as He rode on the clouds, came in His kingdom, with power and glory, and that light of a candle shall shine no more at all in her, the apostate bride Israel; and the voice of the God and of the bride, the new covenant church in Christ, shall be heard no more at all in her, aposate Israel, and for the overspreading of their abominations, Christ shall make that city and sanctuary desolate, even until the consummation, the conflagaration of the Old Heavens and Earth with the new Heavens and the New Earth, which had been determined, shall indeed be poured upon the desolate.

Matt 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,395,647 times
Quote:

Sometimes change is good. I bet if you looked at it with an open mind you would see that he is right. It is the only sustainable view of the second coming that needs no interpolations.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,121,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You are imagining the unimaginable of the flesh. Christ will come and touch you no doubt, but it won't be on the shoulder.

He will judge each and every one of us when we die. We will directly give an account of our life after our death. Our works.

If people would bother to examine the scripture properly we wouldn't be here talking about it this. But the pains of the flesh drive us to it.
The pains of the flesh drive us yearning for an escape, a fleshly Jesus king to rule the nations on earth with a rod of iron, from Jerusalem above all else. The pains of the flesh call on our congregation to support Israel, Judaist Israel, and those pains allow the acceptance of animal sacrifices, a temple and the adherance to a law that was completely, interpolarly, undoubtedly, fulfilled in Jesus Christ's death.

Jesus finished the transgression, He made an end of sin and death if you so follow Him, He reconciled iniquity, and He brought in everlasting righteousness, and He sealed up the vision and prophecy, for He was the annointed one.

Jesus caused the sacrifice and oblation to cease. He did this by confiming the Abrahamic covenant with His death for many...all Jews and Gentiles.
He was cut off, killed for His people, Israel...all Israel, Jew and Gentile, and He, the Christ, that shall come, He destroyed the city and sanctuary as He rode on the clouds, came in His kingdom, with power and glory, and that light of a candle shall shine no more at all in her, the apostate bride Israel; and the voice of the God and of the bride, the new covenant church in Christ, shall be heard no more at all in her, aposate Israel, and for the overspreading of their abominations, Christ shall make that city and sanctuary desolate, even until the consummation, the conflagaration of the Old Heavens and Earth with the new Heavens and the New Earth, which had been determined, shall indeed be poured upon the desolate.

Matt 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
Unfortunately, some will hold to the escapist mentality no matter what you show them in scripture...it's the curse of the flesh.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 PM

396 posts, read 505,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
LOL, Betsey Lane. How much plainer can I make it? Have you not noticed my signature which I have used from my very first post? Why do I call myself Preterist! This is really too funny.

Maybe I should have capitalized it, italicized it, underlined it, made it bold, and placed a bunch of exclamation points after it! Yes, that would have been much clearer!

PRETERIST!!!!!!

LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity