Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
God is God. He isn't going to change, nor will end time prophecy events be rearranged, based on anyone's wrong interpretation of scripture. People can believe anything they want to. Only some will be more surprised than others when they see Jesus return.

I prefer to look up and not back.
YES! Many will be caught off guard by His return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:11 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,617,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
DOTL..... right there friend... is the most important!! The Lord will take care of other's and the rest of the story!!!
Obedience is better than sacrifice.... and to love & honor Him!! Our God is an awesome!!!

Blessings... friend!
Amen and thank you Sister Curly!!! I keep trying to rep you but it just won't work!!

And you are sooo right....obedience, obedience, obedience!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
God is God. He isn't going to change, nor will end time prophecy events be rearranged, based on anyone's wrong interpretation of scripture. People can believe anything they want to. Only some will be more surprised than others when they see Jesus return.

I prefer to look up and not back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
YES! Many will be caught off guard by His return.
Amen and Amen!!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:12 PM

92 posts, read 163,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
This has needed to be seriously addressed for some time now on this board, and God revealed to me the scriptures to do just that.

I can feel God's utter disgust at the flagrant misrepresentation of His Word by way of this teaching. Preterism is the spiritualization of scriptures that then become anything that preterists want it to mean. This is essentially playing God.

The force-feeding and sheer argumentative nature of preterism alone makes it pretty obvious that it's incorrect. But here are some facts and scriptures that PROVE it's wrong.

Preterism insists that all Biblical prophecy, even Revelation, was fulfilled in 70 AD and that none of it is relevant for today's use. That is a fallacy created and perpetuated in the middle ages, to take away the focus from the terrible things that they were guilty of in that time period, and they KNEW they were guilty of, and did not want to be held accountable for. What better way to do that than to say that the Bible didn't apply to them? It's manipulating God's Word to suit one's own purposes at it's very worst.

Also, it has been proven and confirmed by the early church fathers that the book of Revelation was written AFTER 70 AD, in 95 AD!! If Revelation was meant for the 70 AD generation, then why was it written after it supposedly had already taken place? Exactly.

The following scripture PROVES beyond a shadow of a doubt that the preterist belief is completely wrong and needs to go back where it came from; the middle ages.

2 Thessalonians, Chapter 2...THE MAN OF LAWLESSNESS

"Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers, not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us, saying that the day of the Lord has already come."
"Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day WILL NOT come, UNTIL the rebellion occurs and THE MAN OF LAWLESSNESS IS REVEALED, the man doomed to destruction."

Alright. Let me just pause here for a minute. Do you see and understand what is being said here, plain as day?
"Jesus WILL NOT return (2nd coming) UNTIL "The Man of Lawlessness"......who is the "AntiChrist"......IS REVEALED!!!!
Not only does this scripture PROVE that Jesus has not come because we KNOW that the AntiChrist has not been revealed, it also proves that the AntiChrist is a "MAN"!!! Singularly a man, one person.
Yes, there is the "spirit" of the AntiChrist that is among us right now. But this scripture is proof positive that Jesus has not returned and that the AntiChrist is a man that is still to come.

NONE OF IT HAS HAPPENED. The above IS THE PROOF.

Continuing on with Chapter 2:
"He (the AntiChrist) will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God."

When exactly did the above happen? It hasn't!!

"Don't you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. FOR THE SECRET POWER OF LAWLESSNESS IS ALREADY AT WORK; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way."
"And then the lawless ONE will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy BY THE SPLENDOR OF HIS (Jesus) COMING!!!!!!

Once again, the scripture states PLAINLY that the AntiChrist is ONE, one MAN, that will be destroyed WHEN JESUS RETURNS!!

I won't quote the rest of Chapter 2, but I would suggest to read it. Those who are left behind after the Rapture and still refuse to believe and live for God will receive a powerful "delusion" that will blind them into believing the lies of the AntiChrist.

Teachings such as preterism are not just a matter of different interpretation. It's way more serious than that, and it is the "spirit" of the AntiChrist at work that tricks and fools people into believing such blasphemous things.

Not only is it dangerous because it's completely false, it's dangerous because it completely denies that Jesus is the Savior who died for us on the Cross for our wretched selves and sins, but it calls Jesus a liar because it voids, nullifies and robs the Church of the blessed Hope that He most assuredly promised to us.

This is serious stuff, people. Please, please, please repent NOW and be ready to meet the Lord at anytime. Don't believe the lies and deceit of false teachings and "new age" deception.

There is great HOPE in the Word of God which is the Bible, and that's exactly how it should be taught and understood.

DOTL...get rid of Israel, you get rid of end Times.

Here is scripture that shows God is not done with Israel.

Jeremiah31 31-37 behold, the days come, said the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;which my covenant they break, although I was an husband unto them,said the Lord:but this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel;after those days,said the Lord,I will put my law in their inward parts,and write it in their hearts;and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more, every man his neighbor,and every man his brother,saying,know the Lord:for they shall all know me,from the least of them onto the greatest of them,said the Lord for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Thus saith the Lord which giveth the sun for a light and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night,which divides the sea when the waves thereof roar;the Lord of hosts is his name:if those ordinances depart from before me,said the Lord, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Thus saith the Lord;if heaven above can be measured,and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath,I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done,saith the Lord.

There are many prophecies that deal with Israel in the end Times such as in the tribulation and in the millennial kingdom. When Jesus was preaching about the gospel of the kingdom he was preaching about a literal kingdom.

He was to be King over this kingdom for 1000 years many scriptures to prove this.

This doctrine wants to do away with the nation of Israel.

Born again Jerry

Old 09-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrydb View Post

Jeremiah31 31-37 behold, the days come, said the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;which my covenant they break, although I was an husband unto them,said the Lord:but this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel;after those days,said the Lord,I will put my law in their inward parts,and write it in their hearts;and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more, every man his neighbor,and every man his brother,saying,know the Lord:for they shall all know me,from the least of them onto the greatest of them,said the Lord for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Thus saith the Lord which giveth the sun for a light and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night,which divides the sea when the waves thereof roar;the Lord of hosts is his name:if those ordinances depart from before me,said the Lord, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Thus saith the Lord;if heaven above can be measured,and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath,I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done,saith the Lord.

There are many prophecies that deal with Israel in the end Times such as in the tribulation and in the millennial kingdom. When Jesus was preaching about the gospel of the kingdom he was preaching about a literal kingdom.

He was to be King over this kingdom for 1000 years many scriptures to prove this.

Born again Jerry
If you were referring to preterism as "this doctrine", then yes, preterism holds no value for God's people or God's Word. Preterism is not a Biblical belief, period.

Israel is God's prophetic timeclock!! It's doesn't take a rocket scientist or in this case, a brilliant theologian, to figure that one out. It's very clear in the Bible how important Israel is.

Thanks, Jerry.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:20 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
DOTL..... right there friend... is the most important!! The Lord will take care of other's and the rest of the story!!!
Obedience is better than sacrifice.... and to love & honor Him!! Our God is an awesome!!!

Blessings... friend!
Why do your use the term "Our God?" Isn't he everyone's God?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Why do your use the term "Our God?" Isn't he everyone's God?
Oh please, Esselcue. You don't even believe in God.

Of course he's everyone's God. Ergo......."OUR".....

Also....it's a song...Our God, is an awesome God, He reigns.....

You should check it out, it's a great song.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 PM

249 posts, read 609,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
If you were referring to preterism as "this doctrine", then yes, preterism holds no value for God's people or God's Word. Preterism is not a Biblical belief, period.

Your evidence in support of this assertion?

Will you ever dispense with unsubstantiated claims?

You claim preterism is not biblical. Prove it.

You claim preterism holds no value for God's people. Prove it.

You claim preterism holds no value for God's word. Prove it.

You have made an awful lot of assumptions about me in the threads where we have disagreed. Despite what you may think, I'm am not sold on the preterist position. I have rotated between preterist, futurist, historicist and have come to learn there are valid claims from each perspective. I have studied all sides of this issue for years and have even engaged in e-mails with a very prominent preterist author (John Noe) after reading one of his books. He failed to address a couple of my questions and also failed to convince me on some of his assertions and when I pressed him on it, he stopped replying to my e-mails. So, I am by no means an advocate for the preterist position. I am a questioner of everything.

Convince me preterism is invalid, unbiblical, and blasphemous and I will stop calling you out on your unsubstantiated claims and get on board with your view.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,491,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrydb View Post

Born again Jerry
Born again Jerry: The Jeremiah passage is NOT about national Israel but concerns the New Covenant in His blood--the New Covenant people who are the spiritual seed of Abraham. Did not Jesus speak of the new covenant in His blood? Does not Paul address this issue when he compares those claiming to be the people of God because they are of Abraham's seed with those who are the spiritual seed--the TRUE Israel?

But you are right. God is not finished with Israel and He will never be finished with Israel--that is, spiritual Israel which consists of both Jew and Gentile; all those circumcised in their HEARTS and not in their flesh. The prophecies of Jeremiah 31 are fulfilled in the Church--true Israel.

Preterist

Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,491,517 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

To DotL-It was you who brought up your unshakable "proof" text of 2 Thes. 2. Why will you not address my questions about the CONTEXT of that passage? To whom was Paul writing? What was going on in THEIR lives that motivated Paul to write? What did Paul's words mean to those to whom he wrote? Do you ever consider these fundamental principles of sound Bible study and interpretation? I think not!

Preterist

Last edited by Alpha8207; 09-19-2008 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity