Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Why do you trust the Bible and no other religious Holy Books?

If he created us in His image does that make him human or physical? If he's either he can't be supernatural.
The trinity, He is man and God- flesh and spirit. He made us in His image- We love, we can reason, we yearn for companionship, we want justice and the list goes on because no other religious book expalins EVERYTHING, no book can withstand the scrutiny the bible has received and still survive. The bible is supernatural

Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
The world was relatively young during Noah's flood and it was the cataclysmic event that destroyed ALL the dinosaurs except the two on the ark

6 billion people could all fit decently right here in the United States alone- very possible. The effects of inbreeding wasn't there. Adam and Eve were the perfect specimens. As time went on from generation to generation, sin took its toll and the gene pool was diluted to the point where inbreeding was dangerous and forbidden by God.

People don't realize how strong the ancients were compared to 20th century man

What about Giza or Moses? what's your argument there?
How could there have been that many people at that time if the world is only 6,000 years old.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
How could there have been that many people at that time if the world is only 6,000 years old.
"ONLY 6,000 years". I think you underestimate 6,000 years, That is a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time. The average person at the age of 30 can probably remember 5 years of his or her life collectively, 30 years is a long time but because of this many people diminish 6,000 years

Families were huge not to mention women were still conceiving babies way after the age of women in today's world.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 PM

113 posts, read 175,251 times
I have another pesky little question to be answered by my Christian friends. It takes the form of a Logic 101 question. I also note that when asked a logical question by one of the patient atheists here, a lot of you default to a biblical quote that really doesn't answer the direct question.

But specifically, "Is that your Final Answer?", i.e.: that the Word of the Bible proves that the Bible's Word is correct? Isn't that a circular argument? Is that all you've got? This also seems to ignore what we Christians all know and acknowledge, that the bible was written after a very long period when the stories were simply passed down orally (sources of error?), and that after that they were written in a language pretty much unknown to many later scholars and so very much subject to literal interpretation. We object to the interpretations scientists take from their exacting work, saying that they erroneously read into things to support their pet ideas, but we assume no errors in our ancestors' translations. Finally the various already-doctored versions were re-written in accordance with the demands of several religious and royal despots who wanted their own little social problems and theories addressed (King James, etc.).

Does that introduce even a little curiosity into your acceptance of it all as the unquestioned truth? Please. Answer this question, don't side-step it or give me a biblical quote.

If however, you defend the argument that the bible proves itself by simply "being", doesn't the argument posed by the evolutionists benefit from the same logic? Since they have more than one book, each one resulting from many excellent experimental observations, and without translational errors, the data undisputed about what the authors meant to get across, can't they say equally, that their ideas is also plausible because, well, they're plausible ideas?

Don't we grant them the same courtesy as we grant ourselves? Seems we're not being very generous here. Maybe it's just my interpretation?

The further I witness the simplistic closed-minded arguments from our own ranks, the less convincing it is. And to think I was happy about all of this just two weeks ago. I just wanted some assurances and good arguments. Perhaps these posts are too outside of logical mainstream Christian thinking to be valid at all? We're not very convincing, guys.... The "proof" is that I'm starting to really doubt the Creation Story. Help me, Jesus! (I know, I have an appointment at "the stake"... burn, baby, burn!)

Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
For those of you who believe that we coexisted with the dinosaurs, have you ever considered that maybe what Genesis meant by "day" wasn't 24 hours, but thousands and even millions of years? That makes a lot of sense to me and you aren't taking one specific side.
In genesis the word for day is "Yoem" which means 1 day, now it is true it could mean more but by no stretch of the imagination does it mean a year.

Therefore God created the world in 6 days literally. God could have created the world in 6 minutes, even 6 seconds but God wanted to set an example for men on their work habits.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
"ONLY 6,000 years". I think you underestimate 6,000 years, That is a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time. The average person at the age of 30 can probably remember 5 years of his or her life collectively, 30 years is a long time but because of this many people diminish 6,000 years

Families were huge not to mention women were still conceiving babies way after the age of women in today's world.
The Exodus is said to have happened 3,584 years ago. That leaves 2,416 years to go from 2 to at least 603,550. You also have to figure in all the other people that weren't involved in the Exodus. Figure in the flood, which is said to have happened in 2,350 BC, 875 years before the Exodus, how do you go from roughly 8 people (on Noah's Ark) to over 603,550 (not everyone was involved in the Exodus) in 875 years. Sin was rampant at this time so you can't say that inbreeding and disease were not factors in population growth.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Talk about strawman arguments!

To even compare the bible with evolutionary books is ludicrous. Evolutionary books have gone thru nothing compared to the bible.

I will answer this question though because it was the only one that seemed valid,
"but we assume no errors in our ancestors' translations."

You are part right but they are not errors, only misinterpretations, you see there are better words that can used today to replace some of the words in the King James version, that's all.

When the dead sea scroll were found in the 1940' s I believe this was scientistist, sceptics chance to destroy the myth of the bible by showing errors-("The information passed onto person theory"), once and for all. Well as you can see the bible is still here. The King James version held up

Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Reformed Liberal....Two dinosaurs in the ark?....But, but there were hundreds perhaps thousands of different kinds of dinosaurs. ( Each of it's own kind) Which did Noah include pray tell? Obviously not the T-Rex. Do you even realize how incredible and unbelievable your statement is?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Reformed Liberal....Two dinosaurs in the ark?....But, but there were hundreds perhaps thousands of different kinds of dinosaurs. ( Each of it's own kind) Which did Noah include pray tell? Obviously not the T-Rex. Do you even realize how incredible and unbelievable your statement is?
Having 2 dinosaurs isn't the crazy part. Having 2 of every of the other ~5,000,000 species is the crazy part!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM

Let us start in the beginning with one male and one female. let us assume that they marry and have children and that their children marry and have children and so on. Assume that the population doubles every 150 years. Therefore, after 150 years there will be four people, after another 150 years there will be eight people, after another 150 years there will be sixteen people, and so on. As you can see I am being conservative in the growth rate. In reality, even with disease, famines, and natural disasters, the world population currently doubles every 40 years or so.

After 32 doublings, which is only 4,800 years, the world population would have reached almost 8.6 billion. That’s 2 billion more than the current population of 6.5 billion people.

Even with the flood starting around 2500 BC and this time 8 people instead 2, it is entirely plausible to see more than enough time for the present population to reach 6.5 billion people.

Remember assuming the population doubles every 150 years which is very conservative.

By those numbers and the belief that man has been around for 50,000 years. How do you explain from your standpoint why there is such a small population in the world today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity