U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM

2,358 posts, read 4,970,716 times

Advertisements

I am assuming everyone on here went to University. What is your degree and did you pursue graduate studies? Do you have a background in math or science. I suspect not.

It is kinda like a lecture I attended while an undergrad at Washington University on evolution vs. creationism 12 years ago in which the "Creationist expert" was a professor of mechanical engineering from Texas A&M, hardly an expert in anything but mechanical engineering.

A guy I used to run distance races with now heads up the Biology Department at Purdue Universty. He and I have talked extensively over the years about this topic. I am Christian and he is Agnostic, but we both get annoyed when Creationist bring out experts who don't even have a science background. At least the guy from Texas A&M had a math background.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,803,704 times
Quote:
I consider myself to be a Christian, believing Jesus died for my sins, but I do not take Genesis literally. Just because I believe the earth is older than 6,000 years does this make me not a Christian? Some things, particularly the New Testament I just take on faith, not trying to explain things scientifically. The resurrection and much of the New Testament is miraculous. I think when you try to take the Bible literally you run into problems.

I believe evolution is a theory, just like gravity. We tend to more readily accept gravity than evolution as it does not go against fundamentalist Christianity.

I have background in biomedical engineering, history, economics, and marketing and currently head up commercial banking for a large money center bank in Chicago. I am not some liberal wannabe.
Evolution and Christianity doesn't mix and sorry to say, you are double talking. I take the bible literally because if you can't take genesis literally, which is the beginning then you have to throw the entire bible away and do like Paul said, Let us eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.

I don't run into problems

If Genesis is not taken literally, then how do you explain how death came about? since adam and eve never existed and didn't sin. Why do we die, how did death come and where does the bible state it other than genesis explaining why man must die if adam and eve are not taken literally?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM

789 posts, read 853,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
What you are talking about is you DON'T know, that is why you guys always say, we don't know right now but science will answer, and that is faith therefore evolution is a religion not science.
Damn, you got me. You win, evolution is a religion. Don't tell anyone because we were trying to keep it a secret.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Tooth design does not dictate what an animal eats. Sharp teeth can be used for cutting up vegetation as much as meet.

All animals were vegetarian from the beginning. So their teeth were used for eating fruit and vegitation from the beginning.

Look at the teeth of the panda, very sharp, yet they eat only vegitation. or certain dear in Alaska eat small birds. So the idea that teeth shape dictates diet is a false assumption.
Assuming that is a false assumption.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I am assuming everyone on here went to University. What is your degree and did you pursue graduate studies? Do you have a background in math or science. I suspect not.
No degree for me, not even a diploma. I dropped out of high school my junior year.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 PM

2,358 posts, read 4,970,716 times
Default Reformed Liberal

So, are you saying that all Christians who do not take Genesis literally are not Christian?

This would include Catholics, most Protestants.

What Protestant denomination do you belong to? Must be some fundamentalist faction.

Again, what is your degree in? University education is a given.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,718,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I consider myself to be a Christian, believing Jesus died for my sins, but I do not take Genesis literally. Just because I believe the earth is older than 6,000 years does this make me not a Christian? Some things, particularly the New Testament I just take on faith, not trying to explain things scientifically. The resurrection and much of the New Testament is miraculous. I think when you try to take the Bible literally you run into problems.

I believe evolution is a theory, just like gravity. We tend to more readily accept gravity than evolution as it does not go against fundamentalist Christianity.

I have background in biomedical engineering, history, economics, and marketing and currently head up commercial banking for a large money center bank in Chicago. I am not some liberal wannabe.

Fancofu,

Your numbers argument is very compelling:

The Exodus is said to have happened 3,584 years ago. That leaves 2,416 years to go from 2 to at least 603,550. You also have to figure in all the other people that weren't involved in the Exodus. Figure in the flood, which is said to have happened in 2,350 BC, 875 years before the Exodus, how do you go from roughly 8 people (on Noah's Ark) to over 603,550 (not everyone was involved in the Exodus) in 875 years. Sin was rampant at this time so you can't say that inbreeding and disease were not factors in population growth.

Reformed,

You may be out of your league in these discussions regarding population growth. Numbers are numbers. Faith is faith. Please don't try to mix the two.
Humboldt, you are saying that the resurection is miraculous and believable, but creation is not believable and not miraculous? Do you feel you are calling Jesus a liar because he confirmed a recent creation, Noah, The flood, Able, Adam and Eve? Why don't you believe him either?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Evolution and Christianity doesn't mix and sorry to say, you are double talking. I take the bible literally because if you can't take genesis literally, which is the beginning then you have to throw the entire bible away and do like Paul said, Let us eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.

I don't run into problems

If Genesis is not taken literally, then how do you explain how death came about? since adam and eve never existed and didn't sin. Why do we die, how did death come and where does the bible state it other than genesis explaining why man must die if adam and eve are not taken literally?
Do you follow Leviticus and Deuteronomy? Do you believe that God can change?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,718,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Assuming that is a false assumption.
I am not assuming that. The bible has stated that!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM

So, to anyone up to the challenge I present this:

The Exodus is said to have happened 3,584 years ago. That leaves 2,416 years to go from 2 to at least 603,550. You also have to figure in all the other people that weren't involved in the Exodus. Figure in the flood, which is said to have happened in 2,350 BC, 875 years before the Exodus, how do you go from roughly 8 people (on Noah's Ark) to over 603,550 (not everyone was involved in the Exodus) in 875 years. Sin was rampant at this time so you can't say that inbreeding and disease were not factors in population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity