U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2008, 10:55 PM
 
Location: hopefully NYC one day :D
411 posts, read 724,717 times
Reputation: 171

Advertisements

For those of you who believe that we coexisted with the dinosaurs, have you ever considered that maybe what Genesis meant by "day" wasn't 24 hours, but thousands and even millions of years? That makes a lot of sense to me and you aren't taking one specific side.

 
Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 AM
 
1,934 posts, read 3,169,133 times
Reputation: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
For those of you who believe that we coexisted with the dinosaurs, have you ever considered that maybe what Genesis meant by "day" wasn't 24 hours, but thousands and even millions of years? That makes a lot of sense to me and you aren't taking one specific side.

You could and many do .... except it contradicts Exodus 20:8-11 and it contradicts Jesus himself when he taught man and woman were created "at the beginning" of creation (Mark 10:6;) not millions or billions of years later.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 2,684,705 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Sorry to burst a lot of y'all's bubble, but evolution is real. The evidence is right there in front of you. How can you be in denial? What do you gus think about the dinosaurs? Why did God create them before humans? Don't you think the story of Adam and Eve is SYMBOLIC?!?!?!
Evolution is real, a real lie. It is so ingrained in our culture that it has deceived many, even though there is no evidence to support it.

Dinosaurs were created before humans... part of a day before humans. Dinosaurs are land dwelling animals and these animals were created on day six and humans were created on day six.

The story of Adam and Eve that is found in Genesis is not symbolic, it is historic.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 2,684,705 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Do most of you here take the Bible literally?
The bible must be read literally. In that, a metaphor is a metaphor, a song is a song, and a history like Genesis must be read like a history.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 2,684,705 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
So if the Story of Adam and Eve is true, and not symbolic, then wouldn't their children have had to marry and have sex with each other?! The Story of Adam and Eve can't be taken literally because of dinosaurs and stuff before them?What do you think of all the evidence that humans and monkeys both evolved from one common ancestor?
Eve is the mother of all living. So, yes her sons would have to marry her daughters to have children. This is what Genesis says happened. The law which came at the time of Moses forbade this. But, at the time of Adam and Eve it was necessary.

Dinosaurs are real animals that were created by God. We still have many examples of "dinosaurs" living today. For example the Lycanthus sp. a pre-historic fish said to have lived 330 mya can be fished of the coast of Madagascar and has not changed in the 330 million years. So, lets throw out the erroneous Millions of year, because they do not exist.

Humans and monkeys have not evolved from a common ancestor. All animals share common things like DNA or genes. This is because there was a common designer!
 
Old 09-22-2008, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,345 posts, read 3,665,129 times
Reputation: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
As a scientist I have slaved, literally, over experiements that, I will ALWAYS admit, only point at possible truths. Sometimes though the results point pretty conclusively, but always I, at least, have the intellectual honesty to limit my conclusions. On a daily basis all of us Westerners then glibbly go on and use the results that work, in order to get by (again, this darned new-fangled computer and that car of mine. Drat!). Apparently we're happy to ignore the possibility that it may all be wrong 'cause it works for us. (Hey! Maybe it's actually right?) But you Christians, you're happy to fully, completely and unquestionably, but conditionally, believe. You dismiss any honest questioning of even the slightest possibility that your "truths" might just be wrong. Why, in the face of such pretty reasonable "theories" as the true age of dinosaurs, (as new dating technologies have, sorry, evolved, the results from earlier agings were, molstly, confirmed. Certainly they were not out by factors of multi-millions, as the local Baptist preacher would have us all blithely belive). Why do you persist in denying the onslaught of rational, reasonable scientific knowledge. Have you noticed that science marches on endlessly, that we know more with every passing hour. Your touchstone and counter argument is one book, full of such unprovable claims (and frankly, somewhat unbelievable if you'd look at the claims with the same blind skepticism you currently reserve only for science) , such as parting waters, water into wine, the blind being healed, guys running around on water. These obvious fables against a growing base of repeatable experiments. Don't like the results? Don't believe them? Then try the experiment yourself. Change a few parameters; try to prove your hypothesis. And then have the honesty to accept the results.
Honestly rifleman, I generally see quite a bit of bias on both sides. As a believer (because of personal spiritual evidence NOT because of 'blind' faith) in an unseen (conscious) creator who is responsible for all we see around us I understand that all true science points to the creator. On the other hand - science does seem to hold a threat to bible literalists and inerrantists - especially when it contradicts literal bible interpretation. Plus - some evolutionary biologists do jump to conclusions which are well beyond their reach.

As you say, science moves on and on and while that does create some issues for fundamentalists, it also creates problems for atheists in terms of the intricacies of genetic code, irreducible complexity and those sorts of things.

We have seen the line shift within orthodoxy over the centuries and many believers abandoned the literal six day creation concept back in the 20th century - I assume because of the fossil record? (not sure why).

Please note that to a hardcore fundamentalist a lack of belief in God automatically earns you a one way ticket to the bad place, so to them the stakes are very very high in this matter (understatement). To atheists the stakes are also high and so extreme and sometimes irrational responses are generated on both sides.

As a Jesus based Panentheist (and not a follower of the religion of Christianity per se) there is no threat to me from true science whatsoever. I do appreciate your honesty to admit that you don't know for sure that evolutionary theory is a fact. I assume that same honesty makes you an agnostic, correct?

I see nothing in present science which adequately explains (or even comes close to explaining) the origin of life from lifelessness or the origin of the big bang for that matter. All the scientific discovery of the last 100 years has not put a dent in humanities overwhelming belief in God.

I hope you will keep an open mind (as you exhort others to do) and yes, I do believe that theists and scientists can compliment each other.

I do see that many evolutionists are just as closed to accepting flaws in their theory and in that regard can be just as illogical and irrational as many Christian fundamentalists.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,345 posts, read 3,665,129 times
Reputation: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
All animals share common things like DNA or genes. This is because there was a common designer!
I believe that is true.
 
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 AM
 
810 posts, read 838,929 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Define literally? Literally to me means the plain, straight-forward meaning .. poems are poems, parables are parables, songs are songs, prose is prose, figurative speech is figurative speech, etc. It is defined by its context and should be understood as such. Example: Jesus said "I am the gate.." Well, he wasn't a literal wooden gate. It is figurative speech to explain how he is the way to the Father. Genesis, read plainly and straight-forwardly, is historic narrative. That's what I believe.

I accept the Bible as the 100% infallible, inerrant, authoritative word of God, written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit. They wrote the truth. They wrote what God wanted them to write. I adhere to a biblical worldview, which is different than an evolutionary worldview.

I'm with mams on this one...
 
Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 AM
 
Location: hopefully NYC one day :D
411 posts, read 724,717 times
Reputation: 171
Nikk, evolution is real. How do you explain how monkeys and man are so similar. How do you explain no human fossils amid dinosaur fossils??
 
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 AM
 
1,934 posts, read 3,169,133 times
Reputation: 1209
City_boi, if you are truly seeking answers to your questions, I would suggest going to www.answersingenesis.org. They are a Christian, biblical apologetics ministry with many PhD scientists who tackle the origins debate and provide excellent answers from a biblical perspective.

Keep your focus on Christ in your search for answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top