U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-05-2008, 11:05 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,398,255 times
Reputation: 746

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
OMG!!!! Are you freakin' kidding me??? You think evolution is disregard to evidence??? You are the one who is denying evidence!!

Something for your thoughts: You take the creation story literally, but consider this-there are two creation stories!! How do you know which is true?? Who wrote Genesis anyway? Have you ever considered the fact that whoever wrote it didn't have nearly as good of an understanding of science and creation as we do now. The writer probably didn't know what we know now.
You really need to learn your bible. THERE ARE NOT! REPEAT, NOT! two creation stories. There is ONE, the other story is what happened- more detail on the 6th day.

It is presumed Moses wrote it but there is nothing conclusive to say either, or. The bible is not a science book, it is God's word, Genesis is an account of creation which explains death and sin, a concept also tied into the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

 
Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Junius Heights
1,245 posts, read 2,925,735 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
You really need to learn your bible. THERE ARE NOT! REPEAT, NOT! two creation stories. There is ONE, the other story is what happened- more detail on the 6th day.

It is presumed Moses wrote it but there is nothing conclusive to say either, or. The bible is not a science book, it is God's word, Genesis is an account of creation which explains death and sin, a concept also tied into the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
There ARE REPEAT ARE two Creation stories, you have to bend logic into pretzel like shapes to try and reconcile them. I'm okay wit that. One of the best things about not being a literalist is not having to try to come up with unbelievable reconciliations for contradictions. If you accept the Bible as inspired by God, bu limited by men the contradictions don't bother you. I don't believe either is literally true, they represent two different attempts for man to explain what cannot be comprehended.
 
Old 10-05-2008, 11:53 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,398,255 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
There ARE REPEAT ARE two Creation stories, you have to bend logic into pretzel like shapes to try and reconcile them. I'm okay wit that. One of the best things about not being a literalist is not having to try to come up with unbelievable reconciliations for contradictions. If you accept the Bible as inspired by God, bu limited by men the contradictions don't bother you. I don't believe either is literally true, they represent two different attempts for man to explain what cannot be comprehended.
It is not a contradiction, and the sad part is you see one. There is one creation story the other is the 6th day. Challenge me on the second genesis account (Come on- give me a question) and watch me blow it apart, LITERALLY!
 
Old 10-05-2008, 12:16 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,409 times
Reputation: 10
Default reconciling two creation accounts in genesis

Gen 2:3-5 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. (4) These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,(5) And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

Genesis chapter 1 up to chapter 2 verse 4 is describing the creation that God was planning to do. Everthing that is described in detail in those verses in question was all going on inside God's thought patterns it was not untill after verse 5 of the second chapter, that God actually brought forth any of the creation he had planned.

I hope this helps with your discussion

Grace and peace Patrick
 
Old 10-05-2008, 12:48 PM
 
Location: hopefully NYC one day :D
411 posts, read 1,025,999 times
Reputation: 187
Verse 5 says "before it" twice. What is "it?"
 
Old 10-05-2008, 12:56 PM
 
5 posts, read 5,409 times
Reputation: 10
The first "Before it" is referring to the fact that God had thought out creation of all plants before he actually created them. The second is like it in that he thought out the creation of all herbs before any herbs had actually grown. Today english would probably read something like this...say "before they grew."

Grace and Peace Patrick
 
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,902,743 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Geology is all about evidence. That's it. These features found in the geologic record that can not be formed in a water-born catastrophe, are irrelevent with any timescale. They would not exist at all, if a turbulant flood was dumping a hundred feet of sediment per day all around. You know, Geology is not dependent on evolution, eventhough geology happens to exhibit in the fossil record what evolution would have produced. This can be observed after each of the mass-extinction events. Evolution is not even considered when determining geologic timescales. Geochronology doesn't care about evolution. However, it is the other way around for the evolutionists. The evolutionist have only the times scales determined by the geologists. They have to play the hand that they are dealt, so to speak. The ancient age of the Earth was discovered well before evolution was even considered.



Wow are you serious? Or are you trolling? I can't tell. Next time you get the flu or an infection, don't take your meds.
Evolution has nothing to do with the discovery of any Medicine. Antibiotic resistance (I guess that is what you are refering too) predates the existance of antibiotics. So, the resistance is part of the genetic make-up of bacteria from the beginning.

If you are refering to the common cold. Remember that the common cold is not becoming anything new. It is just changing its signiture so that your body does not recognize it. The common cold has about 3000 of these changes so, the likely hood that you will see the same version in your life time is almost imposible. Remember that the common cold is not becoming anything else, it has always been the same from the beginning and no new information is created in it.

I don't why evolutionist always attempt to bring up modern medicine when it is clear evolution has done nothing for modern medicine.
 
Old 10-06-2008, 04:52 AM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 3,902,743 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
OMG!!!! Are you freakin' kidding me??? You think evolution is disregard to evidence??? You are the one who is denying evidence!!

Something for your thoughts: You take the creation story literally, but consider this-there are two creation stories!! How do you know which is true?? Who wrote Genesis anyway? Have you ever considered the fact that whoever wrote it didn't have nearly as good of an understanding of science and creation as we do now. The writer probably didn't know what we know now.
First creation story was written by God and contain the things known by God. The seccond creation story was written by Adam and contain the things known by Adam.

Genesis is the truth of how the world was created. Just because scientist say that the world was created a way that is contrary to the bible does not make them right. God knows because he is the one that made the Universe.

The rest of Genesis was written by the men who signed each one. ie. when it says "these are the Generations of...Noah, Seth, etc..." Then that is the man that wrote that previous section. These books where given to Shem (Son of Noah and refered to as Melchisedek, King of Salem). Abraham tithed to Shem and made a copy of the books for himself. These were passed down to Jacob who took them into Egypt. They were housed in the Egyptian libraries by Joseph and Compiled by Moses for the Children of Israel and our Modern bible.
 
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
29,945 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Reputation: 12174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Evolution has nothing to do with the discovery of any Medicine. Antibiotic resistance (I guess that is what you are refering too) predates the existance of antibiotics. So, the resistance is part of the genetic make-up of bacteria from the beginning.

If you are refering to the common cold. Remember that the common cold is not becoming anything new. It is just changing its signiture so that your body does not recognize it. The common cold has about 3000 of these changes so, the likely hood that you will see the same version in your life time is almost imposible. Remember that the common cold is not becoming anything else, it has always been the same from the beginning and no new information is created in it.

I don't why evolutionist always attempt to bring up modern medicine when it is clear evolution has done nothing for modern medicine.
Wow...Clear to who? -- Immunology and Evolution of Infectious Disease -- NCBI Bookshelf
 
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
789 posts, read 1,165,125 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
But... But... But...
(insert Bible verse here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top