U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-10-2008, 04:02 PM
 
249 posts, read 543,394 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
What christian biased site did you pull that from?

That quote is all over the place including numerous evolutionist websites.

Nice try though.

 
Old 10-10-2008, 04:14 PM
 
249 posts, read 543,394 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
Ah, it's almost a Zen koan. The point is, there IS none. Arguing with a Creationist using fact and logic is as pointless as trying to prove I don't really have a purple fire-breathing dragon in my garage (apologies to the wonderful Carl Sagan).

It is a shame we have such a prominent anti-intellectual moevement in this country that we have half the population believing in a crock of sh*t and denying science as "another religion". We can only hope things will shift in a better direction with a new administration, and we can teach our children real science with impunity. I wonder if these religious right fanatics have ever considered that a huge reason for the proliferation of Islamist terrorists who hate us is that they teach nothing but a Holy Book to their young boys?
Get over yourself. There are literally thousands of respected, intelligent scientists all over the world that don't buy into the bunk pseudo-science of evolution. Your put-downs about creationists being anti-intellectual are nothing more than invalid, unsubstantiated general biases that have no basis in reality.
 
Old 10-10-2008, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
Get over yourself. There are literally thousands of respected, intelligent scientists all over the world that don't buy into the bunk pseudo-science of evolution. Your put-downs about creationists being anti-intellectual are nothing more than invalid, unsubstantiated general biases that have no basis in reality.
Really? Evolution is pseudo-science, and creation science is real science? Quite a statement in this day and age. You need to face reality instead of saying if it's not in the bible it can't be true.

PS....I know it is hopeless to argue with anyone who thinks the bible holds all the answers, but forgive me I am weak.
 
Old 10-10-2008, 06:42 PM
 
428 posts, read 1,487,332 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
Get over yourself. There are literally thousands of respected, intelligent scientists all over the world that don't buy into the bunk pseudo-science of evolution.
Oops, no, there aren't.

One 1987 estimate found that "700 scientists ... (out of a total of 480,000 U.S. earth and life scientists) ... give credence to creation-science".[21] An expert in the evolution-creationism controversy, professor and author Brian Alters states that "99.9 percent of scientists accept evolution".[22] A 1991 Gallup poll of Americans found that about 5% of scientists (including those with training outside biology) identified themselves as creationists.[23][24]
Additionally, the scientific community considers intelligent design, a neo-creationist offshoot, to be unscientific,[25] pseudoscience,[26][27] or junk science.[28][29] The U.S. National Academy of Sciences has stated that intelligent design "and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life" are not science because they cannot be tested by experiment, do not generate any predictions, and propose no new hypotheses of their own.[30] In September 2005, 38 Nobel laureates issued a statement saying "Intelligent design is fundamentally unscientific; it cannot be tested as scientific theory because its central conclusion is based on belief in the intervention of a supernatural agent."[31] In October 2005, a coalition representing more than 70,000 Australian scientists and science teachers issued a statement saying "intelligent design is not science" and calling on "all schools not to teach Intelligent Design (ID) as science, because it fails to qualify on every count as a scientific theory".[32]

Quote:
Your put-downs about creationists being anti-intellectual are nothing more than invalid, unsubstantiated general biases that have no basis in reality.
They aren't put-downs, they are true. In my experience, the vast majority of creationists do not even have, nor do they even presume to desire to learn, anything close to a working knowledge of evolutionary principles. Their "counter-explanations" do not address the real facts of evolution, and are based on Biblical accounts, which were a nice poetic, metaphorical way to think about at the time, but are in no way science.

I won't say every creationist is anti-intellectual across the board, but in the arena of evolutionary biology, which actually can be reconciled with less fundamentalist religious beliefs (even the Pope admitted it) it simply can't be called intellectual to deny thousands of scientific facts in order to maintain a religious belief--and one that isn't even threatening if you understand it.

Your admonition to "get over" myself in view of my assertion that creationists cannot be argued with using logic or intellect reinforces my point--Thanks.
 
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
789 posts, read 1,169,854 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
That is Nephesh Chayah, or Nephesh Chayim. Sorry for the misspelling.

See: here
That site doesn't say that Nephesh Chayah/Chayim is being used in Genesis 7:4.

According to this site and this site "yquwm", or living thing/substance, is the word used, not Nephesh Chayah/Chayim.

Do you have any reference that says Nephesh Chayah/Chayim is being used in Genesis 7:4?
 
Old 10-10-2008, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
789 posts, read 1,169,854 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
Get over yourself. There are literally thousands of respected, intelligent scientists all over the world that don't buy into the bunk pseudo-science of evolution. Your put-downs about creationists being anti-intellectual are nothing more than invalid, unsubstantiated general biases that have no basis in reality.
Name some please.
 
Old 10-10-2008, 09:01 PM
 
211 posts, read 465,016 times
Reputation: 100
Not true my friend, it is just the opposite of what you say.
Christiany is a nice romantic story, evolution is a logical theory.
 
Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
 
Location: in my house
1,385 posts, read 2,680,675 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Name some please.
Wanna bet he says Kent Hovind? lol
 
Old 10-10-2008, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Missouri, USA
789 posts, read 1,169,854 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Wanna bet he says Kent Hovind? lol
He claimed they are respected and intelligent so that rules out Hovind.
 
Old 10-10-2008, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
Reputation: 12213
Some of you creationists had better check the AIG site, because according to AIG, these arguments should definitely NOT be used to defend creation.
  • Darwin recanted on his deathbed
  • Moon dust thickness proves a young moon
  • NASA computers, in calculating the positions of planets, found a missing day and 40 minutes, proving Joshua's long day and Hezekiah's sundial movement of Joshua 10 and 2 Kings 20
  • Woolly mammoths were snap frozen during the Flood catastrophe
  • The Castenedolo and Calaveras human remains in old strata invalidate the geologic column
  • Dubois renounced Java man as a missing link and claimed it was just a giant gibbon
  • The Japanese trawler Zuiyo Maru caught a dead plesiosaur near New Zealand
  • The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics began at the Fall
  • If we evolved from apes, why are there still apes today?
  • Women have one more rib than men
  • Archaeopteryx is a fraud
  • There are no beneficial mutations
  • No new species have been produced
  • Earth's axis was vertical before the Flood
  • Paluxy tracks prove that humans and dinosaurs co-existed
  • Darwin's quote about the absurdity of eye evolution from Origin of Species
  • Earth's division in the days of Peleg (Gen. 10:25) refers to catastrophic splitting of the continents
  • The Septuagint records the correct Genesis chronology
  • There are gaps in the genealogies of Genesis 5 and 11 so the Earth may be 10,000 years old or even more
  • Jesus cannot have inherited genetic material from Mary, otherwise He would have inherited original sin
  • The phrase "science falsely so called" in 1 Timothy 6:20 (KJV) refers to evolution
  • Geocentrism (in the classical sense of taking the Earth as an absolute reference frame) is taught by Scripture and Heliocentrism is anti-Scriptural
  • Ron Wyatt has found Noah's Ark
  • Ron Wyatt has found much archaeological proof of the Bible
  • Many of Carl Baugh's creation evidences


According to AIG these arguments are doubtful, hence inadvisable to use (Hovind's use highlighted with bold)
  • Canopy theory
  • There was no rain before the Flood
  • Natural selection as tautology
  • Evolution is just a theory
  • The speed of light has decreased over time
  • There are no transitional forms
  • Gold chains have been found in coal
  • Plate tectonics is fallacious
  • Creationists believe in microevolution but not macroevolution
  • The Gospel is in the stars.
http://www.kent-hovind.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top