U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 AM

2,214 posts, read 4,991,682 times

Advertisements

Sanspeur, do you feel that there is adequate proof of macro-evolution to make it fact? I haven't read the whole thread... (whoah, doggie!) but I just wondered.

For the record, I believe strongly in creation but I do believe in micro-evolution. I'm not a 'creationist' by definition because I don't believe the earth was created in 6 literal days.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 AM

30,009 posts, read 30,635,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Sanspeur, do you feel that there is adequate proof of macro-evolution to make it fact? I haven't read the whole thread... (whoah, doggie!) but I just wondered.

For the record, I believe strongly in creation but I do believe in micro-evolution. I'm not a 'creationist' by definition because I don't believe the earth was created in 6 literal days.
If you believe in micro-evolution, then you also must believe in macro evolution...Macro-evolution is simply the effects of a compounded series of micro-evolution events over a long time frame.

Alice, if you believe God created man and the universe then how can you not define yourself as a creationist?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you believe in micro-evolution, then you also must believe in macro evolution...Macro-evolution is simply the effects of a compounded series of micro-evolution events over a long time frame.

Alice, if you believe God created man and the universe then how can you not define yourself as a creationist?
That's not what I read. I've always understood micro-evolution to be the ability of species to adapt to their environment in a physical way. Macro-evolution is the larger process, the idea that species evolve into something else-other species- over time. Is that not the way you understand it?

Well, I always thought I was a creationist until I read the definition. Then I realized that the description of a creationist involves believing that the earth was created in six literal days. I don't believe that.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That's not what I read. I've always understood micro-evolution to be the ability of species to adapt to their environment in a physical way. Macro-evolution is the larger process, the idea that species evolve into something else-other species- over time. Is that not the way you understand it?

Well, I always thought I was a creationist until I read the definition. Then I realized that the description of a creationist involves believing that the earth was created in six literal days. I don't believe that.
Yes, the end result of macroevolution over a very long period of time can result in a new species or taxonomic group.

I define a creationist as anyone that believes that God created everything. How can it be defined any other way?

Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, the end result of macroevolution over a very long period of time can result in a new species or taxonomic group.

I define a creationist as anyone that believes that God created everything. How can it be defined any other way?

Well I do believe species adapt to their environment etc. But I don't think reptiles turned into birds, for example. I believe each animal group was created with changes inevitable w/in that group. I know that sounds very simple but I think it explains my feelings pretty well.

I agree, by the way. I believe a 'creationist' should be anyone who believes in a creator but Websters says differently.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Here is a great site that explains evolution in layman language.

Evolution

Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,916,800 times
Quote:
Well I do believe species adapt to their environment etc. But I don't think reptiles turned into birds, for example. I believe each animal group was created with changes inevitable w/in that group. I know that sounds very simple but I think it explains my feelings pretty well.

I agree, by the way. I believe a 'creationist' should be anyone who believes in a creator but Websters says differently.
Creationist, just believe that God created all that you see. I am a literalist and I believe in the 6 day account in Genesis. There are those who are called long agers or day age or Gap creationist. They believe that a day is a thousand years or that a day is an epoc of time. The gap-ers believe there is a indefinite gap found in Genesis.

Believing in micro-evolution or natural selection does not dictate believing in macro-evolution (goo to you evolution). This is a lie. I am a 6 day creationist and I believe in micro-evolution. It is part of the design that God created into every living thing to be able to adapt to its environment. When we study the changes it is noted that they all represent a loss of information. No new information is produced to fuel the macro-evolution senario. The macro-evolution senario requires you to see that there is something happening. As if there was a design purpose behind the blind hand of evolution. But there is none and the imagination of the evolutionist must be wild to believe that it exists.

Micro-evolution is not the brain child of Darwin. It existed many years before he ever put pen to paper. This micro-evolution or Natural selection was the method that early creationist believed God kept the species alive in a fallen world. See Edward Blythe a creationist and a scientist who wrote on Natural Selection a quarter of a century before Darwins "Origins". Also if we look to the work of Mendel who was not know at the time of Darwin we will see that if his work was more famous 150 years ago it would have been the death knoll to Darwin's theory.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,916,800 times
Quote:
Here is a great site that explains evolution in layman language.

Evolution
Or you can go here it explains evolution in laymans terms to, aswell as many other lies.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 PM

Yeah, I've done alot of reading but I've recently discovered that not everyone agrees on where the line is drawn between fact and mere thought. That's why I asked. I do not believe there is enough evidence to point to man coming from apes, for instance. I believe the bible is in harmony w/ what science knows of the world's history.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,146,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
??????I am waiting. What may I ask was the reason for marriage?

I know I am pages back but I HAD to answer this:

Marriage was "created" by men waaaaaay back before religion became a glimmer because it meant the man then "owned" the woman. Having ownership of their woman (women were chattel, belongings) was the only way they knew which children were theirs. It gave the man dominion over that woman and help boost him in society.

Marriage is a man-made union, and while there are some lifelong marriages, some of which are truly happy (some), I do not believe it is human nature to be monogamous for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity