U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 PM

428 posts, read 1,463,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
If Mendels work was know at the time of Darwins "Origins", "Origins" would have been rejected.
You've said this more than once. Could you please elucidate how Mendel's work refutes Darwinian natural selection?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM

428 posts, read 1,463,620 times
Thanks, Troop, that's one fabulous list! I may print that baby out and look at some of the cited pieces.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,268,806 times
Here are some transitional fossils of hominids:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/images/hominids2.jpg (broken link)
Figure 1.4.4. Fossil hominid skulls. (Images 2000 Smithsonian Institution.) (larger 76K JPG version)
~From 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Part 1

This is evidence. Why do the skulls have a sort of linear progression to our modern homo sapiens skull?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:11 PM

9,616 posts, read 10,783,677 times
Wink On The Origins of Thinking Man"

first off: GCSTroop, well what can I say. As always. The bible (one fanciful often mis-quoted, book from a time of pre-scientific empirical thought, versus your short-list of just a micro-tiny-teeny-wheenie little bit of the always growing, objective, logical scientific evidence. Ho-hum.

And to LIYF: Let me answer for NIKK" "That's NOT evidence" Why not? "Well...." (And then, fill in the biblical quote of your choice).

I am currently preparing an old college presentation I did for entirely non-secular reasons. For its purpose, in a practical field geology course, it was effective in explaining some useful answers. Of course no-one was trying to refute it for the sake of refuting it; there may be the big diff.

I'm going to challenge NIKK, if he's up for it, to a few simple Yes or No answers to arrive at some simple secular conclusions absent ANY religious overtones. At least until my closing argument. I'll need a few objective referees, some of which will be Christian. (ACORN won't be involved in the ref selection process. No biasing allowed. Oopps, sorry you politikos).

I'd have to warn NIKK though; if he sticks to the rules, and the winner is judged completely independant of him or me, he'll maybe have to concede a few things. (I'm open to the judges' decision, either way) Which, I'm sure Troop you'll probably agree, he just can't do. 'Tain't in his makeup.

And he won't be able to "deflect", insult or run off. If he does, in the larger court of C-D chat-room opinion, he will officially lose. As in shame and humiliation. As in no one will listen to him on that topic again.

But I could be wrong. He may be quite the erudite logical out-thinker. But I, and more directly and specifically, science and it's objectivity, have been insulted once too often. I for one would like see if he can put his brain where his mouth is.

Interested, NIKK old bud? I promise not to be smug or sarcastic for the duration of this proposed little presentation.

Would JKHarris, Alpha8207, freedom, be interested in being refs? I'm looking for two more. Just about twelve posts by me, with a required Yes or No answer (or "need more info to decide") to keep it short. The judges also vote or get to ask for clarification if needed. It HAS, after all, been used a few times before in a college geology course, just for purposes of having the class understand some simple theory, and is refined. Should be all over in a few days.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,833,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Here are some transitional fossils of hominids:

Figure 1.4.4. Fossil hominid skulls. (Images 2000 Smithsonian Institution.) (larger 76K JPG version)
~From 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Part 1

This is evidence. Why do the skulls have a sort of linear progression to our modern homo sapiens skull?
Because they lined them up that way.

@ @

@ @

do you se a square above? No, it is just four "at" signs at four points. You see the pattern, but that is all. It does not mean that the four "at" signs have any other relationship.

I can take a series of skull of people who died today and line them up to mean different things. Human heads are getting pointier, Human heads are shinking, etc... Does it make it true? No!

Last edited by Nikk; 11-10-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM

7,780 posts, read 12,991,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
first off: GCSTroop, well what can I say. As always. The bible (one fanciful often mis-quoted, book from a time of pre-scientific empirical thought, versus your short-list of just a micro-tiny-teeny-wheenie little bit of the always growing, objective, logical scientific evidence. Ho-hum.

And to LIYF: Let me answer for NIKK" "That's NOT evidence" Why not? "Well...." (And then, fill in the biblical quote of your choice).

I am currently preparing an old college presentation I did for entirely non-secular reasons. For its purpose, in a practical field geology course, it was effective in explaining some useful answers. Of course no-one was trying to refute it for the sake of refuting it; there may be the big diff.

I'm going to challenge NIKK, if he's up for it, to a few simple Yes or No answers to arrive at some simple secular conclusions absent ANY religious overtones. At least until my closing argument. I'll need a few objective referees, some of which will be Christian. (ACORN won't be involved in the ref selection process. No biasing allowed. Oopps, sorry you politikos).

I'd have to warn NIKK though; if he sticks to the rules, and the winner is judged completely independant of him or me, he'll maybe have to concede a few things. (I'm open to the judges' decision, either way) Which, I'm sure Troop you'll probably agree, he just can't do. 'Tain't in his makeup.

And he won't be able to "deflect", insult or run off. If he does, in the larger court of C-D chat-room opinion, he will officially lose. As in shame and humiliation. As in no one will listen to him on that topic again.

But I could be wrong. He may be quite the erudite logical out-thinker. But I, and more directly and specifically, science and it's objectivity, have been insulted once too often. I for one would like see if he can put his brain where his mouth is.

Interested, NIKK old bud? I promise not to be smug or sarcastic for the duration of this proposed little presentation.

Would JKHarris, Alpha8207, freedom, be interested in being refs? I'm looking for two more. Just about twelve posts by me, with a required Yes or No answer (or "need more info to decide") to keep it short. The judges also vote or get to ask for clarification if needed. It HAS, after all, been used a few times before in a college geology course, just for purposes of having the class understand some simple theory, and is refined. Should be all over in a few days.
You guys need to take this to a new thread, DM, or somewhere else.

This one has run it's course.

But don't worry, I'm sure there will be a new, fresh evolution thread in short order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or