Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:00 AM

411 posts, read 1,164,980 times

Advertisements

What is/are your opinion(s) on evolution? The Catholic Church believes in it but they say that, somewhere along the line, God decided to give man a soul. That doesn't make sense to me? I'm not saying I don't believe in evolution (cause I do), I'm saying that evolution kind of contradicts God and Christianity a little, IMO.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,491,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
What is/are your opinion(s) on evolution? The Catholic Church believes in it but they say that, somewhere along the line, God decided to give man a soul. That doesn't make sense to me? I'm not saying I don't believe in evolution (cause I do), I'm saying that evolution kind of contradicts God and Christianity a little, IMO.
City_boi: The evolution teaching does not contradict God and Christianity "a little." It contradicts God and Christianity a lot! The two are incompatible. It all boils down to this. Both the evolution model and the creation model require faith. As much as evolutionists like to claim, their perspective is not based on science but on speculations and unprovable theories.

The question is and always has been--what do we see around us? Do we see evidence that supports evolution or creation? We see like begetting like just as God proclaimed it would be. We see awesome complexity that screams of a designer. (Have you seriously and studiously considered your own body lately?). The sun remains fixed in its place, the planets continue in their precise orbits, and the earth remains in the perfect distance from the sun in order for life to exist. Our magnificent bodies, the intricate order of the world around us, and the vastness of the universes outside of us reveal the wonders of a God Who started it all and keeps it all together. If evolution were true, nothing would be because evolution lacks the power to create or preserve that which it claims to explain.

Preterist

Old 09-19-2008, 07:06 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
I agree with Preterist. Evolution does contradict Christianity a lot! IMO

Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Nice layout Preterist.

I believe God created the heavens and earth, the sea and all who dwell in them. I'll never believe otherwise.

Even if we found there were slight adjustments that certain species had made because climactic or other survival issues, science wouldn't convince me that God didn't do that, too. He is a God of tranformation after all.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:35 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
I agree with Peterist. Creation and Evolution are to opposite belief systems. I have found no evidence for evolution in nature. I have studied evolution at the University level and have written papers on the developement of species in order to get a high marks in class. Unfortunately I vomited up the standard drivel that the evolutionary biologist give in order to sound like they are actually doing some kind of science. When you look at any evolutionary biology paper you will find conjecture intermixed with science which appears to support the text, but do not be fooled. The scientist only select the information that sounds like it supports what they are saying. The reams of information that are contraditory to thier ideas are in the trash bin.

The Catholic Church is wrong. They have become really sensitive when it comes to opposing science see the Galileo issue. They are attempting to embrace science. But, they do not realize that they have to leave the bible at the door when they go into science and embrace evolution.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The scientist only select the information that sounds like it supports what they are saying. The reams of information that are contraditory to thier ideas are in the trash bin.
Sounds like Christians...

Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 AM

352 posts, read 552,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Like everyone else on this page, I honestly don't agree with the Catholic Church's view of evolution; it doesn't have any Scripture to support the idea which suggests that it was simply made up by one of the Popes down the line. However, I believe in evolution (on the micro-scale). Even though scientists claim to see evolution on the major scale, there is simply no evidence in the fossils to suggests that. The only form of evolution known to exist is the idea that the shifting in one's environment might demand a certain trait or quality to dominate in that area with a certain species; that is a given fact. Macro is complete nonsense

Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 AM

599 posts, read 1,260,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
City_boi: The evolution teaching does not contradict God and Christianity "a little." It contradicts God and Christianity a lot! The two are incompatible. It all boils down to this. Both the evolution model and the creation model require faith. As much as evolutionists like to claim, their perspective is not based on science but on speculations and unprovable theories.

The question is and always has been--what do we see around us? Do we see evidence that supports evolution or creation? We see like begetting like just as God proclaimed it would be. We see awesome complexity that screams of a designer. (Have you seriously and studiously considered your own body lately?). The sun remains fixed in its place, the planets continue in their precise orbits, and the earth remains in the perfect distance from the sun in order for life to exist. Our magnificent bodies, the intricate order of the world around us, and the vastness of the universes outside of us reveal the wonders of a God Who started it all and keeps it all together. If evolution were true, nothing would be because evolution lacks the power to create or preserve that which it claims to explain.

Preterist
Preterist! Something we can agree on .....

Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
Which came first the chicken or the egg???????
I believe the chichen came first because I believe God created with age. Adam and Eve were not babies they were grown adults able to reproduce. I believe the world has changed and evolved some over the years and I think you can embrace both of them. Except when evolution leaves God out...

Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
City Boi: you need to post this topic on the main "Religion and Philosophy" forum if you want less biased answers. Christians will not accept anything involving evolution and will insist it is a non-proven theory, which it is not. It has been proven and is still occuring today, constantly. When I followed Christianity (or tried) I was a Lutheran, which is as close to Catholic as one can get, I suppose. One of the things (among many) that lead me on a different path was the evolution problem. My belief is that god (the source of life, not a thinking, acting being in the sky) created everything and he (it) did it by the means of evolution. Evolution does contradict Christianity, but it does NOT contradict God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity