U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2008, 10:14 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 1,597,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
If confession is accepted by Catholics, then again I'm out:

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. (Heb 4:14-16)

What I'm understanding from this is that through the blood of Jesus we have access to the throne, and we are bid to come, by faith, for help in time of need. The Catholic arrangement smacks of an OT, indirect relationship with God at its best - and a disregard for the personal love of God at its worst.

imo.
I could rewrite this in my own words, but why? Please click on this link for a good answer to your problem with confessing of sins to a priest.

Catholic Apologetics on Catholic Truth - Penance (Confession, Reconciliation)

The use of priests for the confession of sins stems from John 20:21-23.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:55 AM

6,950 posts, read 7,358,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I could rewrite this in my own words, but why? Please click on this link for a good answer to your problem with confessing of sins to a priest.

Catholic Apologetics on Catholic Truth - Penance (Confession, Reconciliation)

The use of priests for confessions stems from John 20:21-23.
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, "Receive the Holy Spirit; whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained."

I do believe that we have power to bind and release (but this power isn't realized until our flesh is under subjection - another sermon); the issue is where the focus of the mass' faith is directed.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM

7,955 posts, read 7,113,213 times
The path to God does not require a church. If those that choose a church to "find their way" find it easier, more power to them. I see many "Christians" that don't act remotely like Christ would. Judgments seem to be all too common. The Catholic religion is the closest religion to what Christ put forth, I know many in the splinter religions will bristol at that but historically it is true. The bible thumpers owe the book they value so much to the catholic church. It was certainly them that preserved the texts and even help organize and annotate it.... Remember the books of the bible were not written down for many years after Christ. Unlike other holy texts it was compiled by man.
I think the simple path is to respect all the religions, if out of poor understanding you have no clues about anothers religion then why comment in the negative, it usually only exposes ignorance. When you are holy as others then you can comment about the religions, but I think when you reach that point, you won't waste your time but instead focus on loving others, providing comfort to those in need, and kindness to all.
Perhaps it is simple as practicing the principles of a religion than going to a building once a week for a false sense of security that you can mistreat others in the 6 days between.
I do not wish one path to be the block in the road. There are many paths and they lead to the same place. Respect them and live your life as you see fit. Kidness towards all will get you to your path sooner btw.
I think the power of a church comes from people being of like mind wanting a similar goal. It is easier to be positive when you are around similar.
I have been in more masses than most catholics, I have been in other churches, Baptist, Lutheran, Episcopalin, Anglican and more. I have been in Hindu ceremonies in India and Sri Lanka, I have met holy men, I have seen amazing miracles, I have been blessed. Take one step towards God and he will take 10 towards you. Many special teachers have offered their understanding of the spiritual path listen to them subtract out that part of man that polluted the idea and practice the rest. When man interpretes God he is too small to grasp the complexity and explain something so great. it is like the drop of water explaining what the ocean is. while he is made up of exactly the same material they are not the same.... I and my Father are One, but my Father is greater than I.
The point is simple out of excitment, joy or so many other experiences people try to place their experience in words and the experience will always have the limitations of man. do not follow the men they can lead astray, keep your focus on God, that is the goal.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
If confession is accepted by Catholics, then again I'm out:

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. (Heb 4:14-16)

What I'm understanding from this is that through the blood of Jesus we have access to the throne, and we are bid to come, by faith, for help in time of need. The Catholic arrangement smacks of an OT, indirect relationship with God at its best - and a disregard for the personal love of God at its worst.

imo.
The most important thing you said was the last three letters. I think a quote from Archbishop Fulton Sheen applies:

"There are not more than 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church."

Old 09-22-2008, 02:25 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
The most important thing you said was the last three letters. I think a quote from Archbishop Fulton Sheen applies:

"There are not more than 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church."
And Fulton Sheen interviewed all these millions of people so that he KNOWS personally what they perceive the Catholic Church to be? That is a ridiculous assertion and unprovable!

Preterist

Old 09-22-2008, 02:34 PM

6,950 posts, read 7,358,880 times
Quote:
And I agree that it's (mis)conceptions that cause people to make snap judgements. But I have a pretty long list.

Next up: What's with the symbolisms?

Quote:
And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. (Numbers 21:8)
A type and shadow of the great symbol that was to come.

But the lyrics to Michael Card's Suffering Symbol are very true:

So Moses made a metal snake,
And nailed it to a pole
Sent out the saving word so they would know
That the symbol of their suffering was now the focus of their faith
And with a faithful glance, the healing power would flow

In time the brazen serpent became an idol in the land
And they left the living God to worship clay
When they forgot their suffering
Soon true faith had disappeared
So some idolize a brazen cross today

Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM

2,136 posts, read 3,136,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I am a christian, I am not Catholic but went to Catholic schools for 12 years. I here alot of Catholic bashing and I just wanted to share this with you guys. Sometimes I wonder if I would even be saved if it was not for those Catholic teachers and priests drilling it into our heads on a daily basics. We always had mass and theology class, but I would sometimes be tempted to become Catholic but I never did. It seemed so scripted to me. But, one thing I can say is that taught me about Jesus and the trinity. I am the only one out of four girls that went to a Catholic school, my sisters went to public. I am the only one that is saved. I thank God for saving me, and I also thank all those mean nuns(just kidding) and priests as well. I don't believe in all of Catholic doctrine, but I do have a soft spot for Catholics. I feel all those teachers, priests, and nuns laid the foundation for the Christian I have become today. God really used them, and for this I say thanks.

I just thought that perhaps it was time to bring back the OT. There are plenty, and I do mean PLENTY, of threads out there that you can dig up to bash the Catholic Church. How about you leave this thread alone and go find one of them. Oh, and while you are at it, read through them! Maybe then that poor, old, dead horse can just lie.

May the peace of Jesus the Christ be with all of you.

<><

Old 09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
And Fulton Sheen interviewed all these millions of people so that he KNOWS personally what they perceive the Catholic Church to be? That is a ridiculous assertion and unprovable!

Preterist
I sense you don't always get along with your fellow man.

You know what, you are right!!! I am a heathen Catholic going to hell.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:52 PM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I just thought that perhaps it was time to bring back the OT. There are plenty, and I do mean PLENTY, of threads out there that you can dig up to bash the Catholic Church. How about you leave this thread alone and go find one of them. Oh, and while you are at it, read through them! Maybe then that poor, old, dead horse can just lie.

<><
And also with you.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:47 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,946,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post

<><
I was totally enjoying the beginning of this thread... found it so refreshing to finally find a kind hearted thread towards Catholics on here...nice words being exchanged and reading the great experiences that brought others to their faith... then I got to the nasty bashing... Knew it was too good to be true... Weather, thank you for bringing everyone back to reality. I would love to go through one whole thread, just once, about Catholics and not find that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity