Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times

Advertisements

A few days ago my toll-free phone number stopped working due to non-payment. The company I am with went ahead and reactivated my number but it's still not working...and at this point I don't want to ask them to make it work again (as they said it should) until I have paid them. The problem is that although they accepted my initial payment using a pre-paid credit card their payment processor is not accepting subsequent payments using the same type of prepaid card. This has left me scrambling to find another one which in Canada is not that easy to come by. I have two pre-paid cards and one regular credit card on order but, none of them have come in yet. So...my business phone is not working just now. The company is aware of my dilemna and they have been very understanding and gracious and this problem should be solved momentarily.

But suffice it to say that my number quit working a few days ago. There I was without a working business phone number. And without a way for customers to get a hold of me...well...my ability to make further money was compromised not to mention that I could not effectively run new advertising campaigns.

To top it off several bills and expenses were coming due. My gym membership where I take daily showers (I live in my truck) was $42. My "address" at a Suite number place used for banking, driver's licence, and otherwise...$75 (for the next 3 months). Propane for my truck which was getting near empty...$45. Food to eat...about $10 per day. Storage unit where I store stuff I can't fit in my my truck...$32. Portable internet...$52. And some miscellaneous expenses like cutting a new batch of business cards to the right size (I print my own and just pay to cut them up at an office supply place).

As I mentioned in the last installment in this series...I was stopped by the police the day before yesterday and could have had my truck towed and would have ended up without a place to sleep for the night. At the very least I should have been given a ticket but the Lord had mercy on me and showed me great favor in their eyes and instead of my getting into trouble for having absolutely no lights working on the back of my truck (which I had been unaware of) they towed me to the laundry where I had been headed and gave me a chance to fix my wiring!

I guess what I am saying is that I was running out of money (nothing new for me) as a result of paying different things, my truck was not working properly, and I had a number of bills mentioned above that were coming due. Without a business phone number and without new business cards to mount an effective campaign for new business.

There was a time in my life when I would have freaked out but I have learned over many such circumstances in my life that God is a real God who can be trusted to provide for us. Not that I don't struggle to trust Him these days. Many times I still do. Even though He has shown Himself real in my life...over, and over, and over again. Through other much worse circumstances. But still...I am learning how to trust Him and to keep bringing things to Him in prayer as they happen. To continue doing what I can and leaving the rest in His hands. To do with me as He wills and allows through my circumstances.

In many respects I don't want a regular, full time job, that will provide me with a consistant paycheck. Nor do I want a new car that will not experience mechanical difficulties. I don't want a nice apartment, with television, and a kitchen and fridge. My concern is that having all these things which most of us tend to take for granted...will cause me to cease to trust in the living God to help me. I am afraid that instead of trusting in Him I will end up trusting in the weekly paycheck, my new car, my nice apartment, and that I will end up voicing that God provides but not living it on a daily basis as I am forced to do now.

Observe now how the Lord provided for me in my present circumstances.....

A couple of days ago a real estate agent who a recent customer of mine had referred to me for window cleaning (which is my occupation) could not get a hold of me through the number on my card (which as I said is not working temporarily). I had apparently done such a good job for the recent customer that referred me that the real estate agent then went through the trouble of emailing me instead. That she and a client of hers was interested in window cleaning.

I called her back and explained that I had been having problems with my phone but that it should have been fixed (as the company of the phone number had told me it would be). On calling her she set up a time to do a window cleaning at her own house and then told me about her client's interest in window cleaning too. When I told her to just have her client call my number and leave her phone number the real estate agent decided instead to just give me the client's phone number.

Unbeknown to me...my phone was still not working!

I called the client and was able to set up about $105 of work for today. Praise God!

I had only about $10 on me yesterday but also knew that I had about $15 in my bank account. I went to bed last night thankful for the work.

When I woke up this morning it was pouring rain. Now normally all window cleaning work for the day would be postponed on a day like this but this client absolutely had to have her windows cleaned today so when I called her to see if she still wanted them done...she said yes. Not only that but she apologized for being a bit groggy when I gave her an estimate yesterday and that in fact she wanted both the outside AND inside of her house done. So instead of $105 I ended up looking at $192!!!

Observe the way the Lord was using the circumstances in my life to help me just rest in Him as He worked out the provision for my needs. I was struggling a bit during various points in time but I knew the Lord was working. As He had so many times before.

Well by the time I got to the house...the sun had come out and not a rain cloud was visible anywhere around me!! Whereas when I woke up in the morning there were rain clouds covering every inch of sky to the horizon!

Oh...I forgot to mention my club membership ran out yesterday so today I paid $4.50 of the little I had left in the morning to take a shower. Then about lunch time, I went ahead and used up most of the rest that I had, to buy lunch at a local grocery store.

As I did the house I began to once again realize that it was a waste for the homeowner to have me do many of their windows. Something I had told them about already when giving them the estimate but which they did not listen to. So...I called the homeowner over (by this time she had gotten to the house) and showed her what I was talking about. She agreed and decided to cancel most of the rest of the cleaning.

Again...observe how the Lord was using my circumstances. To test me and build faith. I needed the money. For sure. But I thought it more important to do the right thing by the owner of the house and advise them according to their need and not my own. When I did that I thought that I would only end up with about $60 and truth be told...I was a bit discouraged in view of my need. But there was no way I was not going to do right by my client.

Instead it turned out that I had done enough windows to get paid $114! Praise God!

I headed right to the bank, cashed out $100, and then headed right to the gas station. Well...when I got there the pump was no longer working!!

You have to understand something....my truck runs on propane. A while back someone hit the side of my truck that has the inlet to the propane tank such that it is no longer attached to the side of my truck and just dangles there. It is not leaking (I've been filling it for close to a year in it's present state) but most all stations, except for the one I have been going to, won't touch it.

So there I was, dog tired from work, absolutely beat, and unable to get any propane.

Again...there was a time when I would have FREAKED out!! Without propane I would have run out by tommorrow night at the latest. And then what? My truck is my home. Without a running truck I can't get to any more houses to do windows and without doing windows I can't keep making money. I need the money to be able to go indoors this winter (I live in Canada where it gets r-e-a-l cold).

As I said...I would have normally FREAKED out! But instead I began to inquire as to where else I could get propane and asked the Lord to show me great favor in having the next station be willing to fill me up. No other station had EVER been willing to fill up my truck. EVER. I needed a small miracle. I had no choice but to pray to God and act in faith by continuing to look for where I could get propane. Parking the truck and sitting on the side of the road wringing my hands was not an option .

I got to another station and in my heart there was peace. The guy came out and proceeded to hook up the propane and fill it. PRAISE GOD!!!

He was from another country and had been in Canada for only a month and did not seem to think anything of my propane inlet hose just dangling there. He even mentioned that it was so to me in the middle of continuing to talk about the weather and his being in Canada. Perhaps in his country everyone goes around with dangling gas hoses . Who knows. But the Lord answered my prayer!!!

My truck got filled up and I went on my way with tears streaming down my cheeks at how gracious the Lord had been to me today.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever King David said. Today those words were true of my life too.

At stops I had to lean my hand against the side of my head to keep other drivers from seeing the tears streaming down my cheeks.

Tommorrow starts another day and I have work scheduled. If all goes according to plan I will have about $150 by the end of the day and will be able to get my business phone paid up and to pay most if not all the rest of my bills. I will end up with close to nothing again but that is nothing new to me.

The LORD is my provider. Not my bank account. Not my clients. Not the government. Or anyone or anything else. HE will take care of me. As He has done so many times in the past.

If this has encouraged you please let me know. It will encourage me to post more when the Lord shows Himself strong on my behalf.

I would like to add a little something more to what I said above. What I described are the highlights of my day. To every such day there are many other little things that happen where the Lord tests my faith, gives me opportunity to trust Him, and otherwise works in my heart. I don't always trust Him. Many times I struggle. What I want you to see in what I wrote is not my great faith...I don't have great faith...but rather the faithfulness of the Living One. My faith is weak and quite small. I am learning and growing but the Lord still has much to teach me.

One other thing....some might scoff at what I have described and say that what I experienced is just coincidence to which I would say this. I might be more sympathetic to such a viewpoint if this type of thing only happened once or twice. But when it happens over, and over, and over again such that the Lord not only shows Himself strong in my circumstances but also does a wonderful work in my spirit such that I experience greater intimacy with Him in a very real and marvelous way...well all I can say is that to believe that this is not God takes more faith than to believe that it is.

The righteous man will live by faith. Faith in an unseen God. To those who walk in faith and believe that the Lord God works in our circumstances and makes Himself real to us through them...He shows Himself real. To those who don't believe....He remains a being concocted by the mind of
Christians who is not real at all. One does not experience an intimacy with God until one is willing to walk in faith. Until one is willing to see things through the eyes of faith and not just as they might seem to our natural eyes.

The walk of faith is a very real walk in a very real God. And I for one want the Lord to keep putting me through whatever circumstances He deems fit to build my faith. That I might know Him better and experience more of His wonderful person and glorious majesty. That I might find greater comfort in His loving arms. Nestled there like a baby resting in their mother's arms.

I want more of Him and one of the surest ways that I know of to experience more of Him is to learn to trust Him more in and through my circumstances. I am not there yet in terms of always trusting and walking in faith but I am eager to learn. Although it is terribly hard on my flesh to go through the circumstances that I go through...it is a wonderful opportunity to grow closer to the Lord.

Last edited by carlos123; 09-26-2008 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Fixed some spelling and grammatical errors mostly....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:40 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,734 times
Wow Carlos, how can you not sing praises of his glorious deeds, look what the lord has done......
He is faithful even in the midst of our storms, he is the peace that surpasses all understanding. he is joy unspeakable and full of glory,He is love.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:23 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times
Wow that is not coincidence that is God watching you every step of the way. Praise God, He is really a loving God who provides all our needs. I loved reading your post. It encourages my faith and makes me have a glad heart. I love the verse that says, "pray without ceasing" we should be praying all day long, thanking, rejoicing and being humbled at how he provides all our needs. We serve an amazing God who loves us in spite of ourselves.
Thanks for sharing that with us

Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,268 times
I'd be pissed if God did something like this for me when there are kids starving all over the world. Crappy priorities if you ask me.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:39 PM

Hi fancofu,

May I ask what exactly would make you mad with respect to what the Lord did in providing for me? I am asking sincerely.

I am not clear on the connection between what the Lord did for me and starving children in the world. Can you clarify that for me? Maybe there is something I can learn from you that I have not yet seen in what the Lord did for me that day.

Carlos

Old 09-28-2008, 07:21 PM

6 posts, read 63,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Hi fancofu,

May I ask what exactly would make you mad with respect to what the Lord did in providing for me? I am asking sincerely.

I am not clear on the connection between what the Lord did for me and starving children in the world. Can you clarify that for me? Maybe there is something I can learn from you that I have not yet seen in what the Lord did for me that day.

Carlos
You have great patience! Thank for being so articulate in your post.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Door Man View Post
You have great patience!
Thanks but I really don't Door Man. Honest. When I post on this forum I am generally full of the Spirit and can do things, like be patient and humble, that I am not in my natural self prone to be.

Earlier today I was very discouraged. My health is failing or it seems that way sometimes. I wonder about my life sometimes...whether it is a waste. I honestly do not know fully what was so discouraging me. I went to a used clothing store and started aimlessly looking at the clothes. But while I did that I brought my discouragement before the Lord. He eventually led me to find a book which I bought.

In the car, as I read the book, I began to weep. The Lord had found me just the right book to lift up my spirits and come on here and perhaps lift someone else's.

A couple of days ago I almost got into a fist fight at a McDonald's when a guy rudely walked through the door I had opened for myself as though I didn't exist. I turned and went toward him and said something about having a problem with rude guys like him.

I guess what I am saying Door Man is that one's do not see a balanced view of me on this forum. Yes...the Lord enables me to say encouraging things here. For sure. Yes...the Lord has worked on my character and has humbled me to the point where yes...I am perhaps more patient than many.

But any Christian can be the same way if we choose to walk in the Spirit instead of the flesh. We all have that capacity in us.

In "real" life I do not walk in the Spirit to the same degree that I do when I post on here. If I am not walking in the Spirit I generally won't post here.

I am not trying to take away or belittle what you said Door Man. Not at all. I am appreciative of your kind words. Truly I am. I just want to make sure that I present who I really am before the Lord here and that I give glory to God for who He has made me to be. At least for the present post .

If you walk through a door I open for myself at a McDonald's Door Man, as if I don't exist...well...you might see a different side of me that ain't so pretty and that the Lord is still working out in me .

Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM

789 posts, read 1,334,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Hi fancofu,

Carlos
God decided to help you with work when approximately one million people, most of whom are children under 5, die each year from malaria.

Your financial situation > Dead children

Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times
fancofu..what did you do for the starving and ill children today? If God has laid that on your heart then you should work in that area of helping people. That has nothing to do with what the Lord has chosen to do for Carlos in his walk with Him. We are all responsible to do our part, use our gifts to help others. My husband and I work with a dental team in VA to work on children's teeth in the hills of Peru. Everyone can do something. Some can give money, others time and others talents and others prayer.
Carlos I enjoy you sharing because it helps others to realize that the Lord works with each one of us as individuals. God knows when a sparrow falls and he knows all our our needs.
Keep sharing and giving God the Glory. And believe me we are all "in process" when it comes to growing in being more like Christ. It is a process...never ending.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Thanks for clarifying what you meant fancofu. I understand what you meant now and can see how that would seem...well...quite unfair. And from a natural standpoint it IS, quite frankly.

But by faith, I hope you don't mind if I say, that there is no unfairness about it. At all!

God is love. That's what the Bible says fancofu. If we believe that to be the truth then we must believe that the Lord God of love is not desirous that children, whom He created in the womb of their mothers, die from malaria. Given that there are presently effective ways of preventing malaria the question is why doesn't man make those ways more commonly available? He does not prevent man from helping one another fancofu. Man does it to himself! Yes...he allows man to act seflishly but, He does not condone or approve of man making it difficult to help one another.

He would have us feed the poor, help the needy, and otherwise share our resources to help people in genuine need. The question is...are we doing that?

God in His wisdom and love for man has allowed man to have free will fancofu. Would you have the Lord take that away? From mankind? From you?

But that freewill comes at a price. We, that is mankind, can do things contrary to what He would have us do. Things that break His heart and cause us to hurt one another or not help each other out.

He provided for me because I acted in faith. He will do the same for anyone in any country in the world. The question we should be asking is not why didn't God provide for the children in Africa or elsewhere (a question which does not accurately describe the problem in that it makes God seem impotent and unable to provide or worse yet, showing favoritism by providing for some and not for others) but rather...where was the faith that would have allowed Him to act on their behalf?

If children dying from malaria are on your heart fancofu...perhaps the Lord would use you to help them, if you act in faith believing that He loves them as much as He loves any one of us.

I can say confidentally that Jesus Christ would have cured anyone afflicted with malaria who would have come to Him in faith.

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123; 09-28-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Changed to respond to death by malaria rather than starvation as I initially thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity