Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,405,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Do you guys ever get tired of playing the lexicon game? It really proves nothing as Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses do the same
Everyone will have an opinion about what the Bible teaches based on the evidence available to them. But many choose to ignore the Biblical evidence of universal salvation.

Most Christian Biblical Universalists started out their Christian life thinking that they had to believe in eternal torment because the Bible says so. They have studied the arguments on both sides and they all were glad to learn that the Bible actually teaches the eventual salvation of all fallen creatures from everything from which they need to be saved (including their stubborn wills) because of the death and resurrection of Jesus, and the power in the blood of His cross.

SEE

THE SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD SERIES
Savior of the World Series
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times
Quote:
Do you guys ever get tired of playing the lexicon game? It really proves nothing as Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses do the same
Beloved57 did the same to show that destruction does not (necessarily) mean annihilation, so if you agree with him on that subject, you play the lexicon game alike, I know this might appear childish, pointing the finger on others.

I said early I think as eternal is a highly philosophical and that the discussion about universalism shouldn't be stressed on that term.

the point is that you must prove, that aiônios means endless in every occasion, as long as aiônios means not endless in any instance (as for example in Romans 16:25, where in the very same sentence God is called aiônios alike as passed by times) you can't built a doctrine of endless damnation on that word, when other verses say, that God is the savior of all men, that all will be made alive in Christ...

Last edited by svenM; 07-13-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:

No, I do not get tired of seeking things so as to not get idle in my faith.

But if your doing that is getting to you, take a break.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:54 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,390,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Beloved57 did the same to show that destruction does not (necessarily) mean annihilation, so if you agree with him on that subject, you play the lexicon game alike, I know this might appear childish, pointing the finger on others.

I said early I think as eternal is a highly philosophical and that the discussion about universalism shouldn't be stressed on that term.

the point is that you must prove, that aiônios means endless in every occasion, as long as aiônios means not endless in any instance (as for example in Romans 16:25, where in the very same sentence God is called aiônios alike as passed by times) you can't built a doctrine of endless damnation on that word, when other verses say, that God is the savior of all men, that all will be made alive in Christ...
Your decieved too..

matt 25:

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,390,261 times
Quote:
Everyone will have an opinion about what the Bible teaches
Opinions dont cut it, its the Truth that counts..which I preach and you dont..

Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times
Quote:
this is what every cult leader claims, honestly you appear to have no interest in a serious discussion, otherwise you would consider the infos given to you, which you seem not to do, therefor your truth is your personal truth in my opinion, not relevant for what I consider truth; as you believe in predestination, it's a done deal anyway and each of us playing only our role.

Quote:
to come back on this, each of as has a favorite translation, one the KJV, another one maybe Young or Darby, the point is, which translation we give the most authority? - has any translation authority?

I'm German, what if the German word for eternal can mean a very short time also? how would you convince me, that the bible teaches endless damnation, when my bible in my language would not? Do you think, I being German, care about the KJV?

what if I would prefer the Latin bible and would be able to show, that the Latin word for eternal does not mean endless in all instances (and it does actually not)?

how would you convince me, that the Latin bible which is far older then any English translation is wrong, but the KJV right?

what if I would be able to read the bible entirely in Greek (which I am not), how would you convince me, that my understanding is wrong, if I gave you for every word where our understanding differs a dictionary definition from an unbiased source, which would support my position, how would you convince me you're right or the translation you use, and I am wrong?

consider these things, maybe you will realize then why it is important to look into the Greek text.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Default The eons of the bible with concordance

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
Your decieved too..

matt 25:

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
No two words in the history of man have been so torturing as aion and aionion. No two words in the history of man, mishandled by man, have contributed more to the physical, emotional and spiritual harm of so many, than these. You may think I must be exaggerating. But I am not. It is the mistranslation of these two words that has foisted the false and destructive doctrine of eternal torment upon the church and the world.

Mistranslation of the Greek words "aion" and “aionion” is a master stroke of diabolical genius. No other words erroneously translated, could more effectively pervert man’s image of God and cause such widespread confusion. The following work by Joseph E. Kirk is offered in the hope that the serious seeker after scriptural truth will be aided in their quest.
CHART OF GOD’S PLAN FOR THE AGES OF TIME
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

Also see
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
An Analytical Study of Words
(especially note the quotes by the many Greek scholars in chapters three and twelve)

Also see
TIME AND ETERNITY A BIBLICAL STUDY
TIME AND ETERNITY: A Biblical Study

Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 PM

Default "opinions"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
Now you are being silly!
Your position is just as much an "opinion" as anyone elses.

Based on the following evidence that you choose to ignore, we maintain that our "opinion" about what the Bible teaches is the "truth."

THE SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD SERIES
Savior of the World Series

Old 07-13-2009, 04:01 PM

Default No one actually behaves like they believe in eternal hell

In fact we assert that we prove that you are depending on an interpretively translated Bible, while we Christian Biblical Universalists are depending on a literally translated Bible.

No one actually behaves like they believe in eternal hell.
Think about it!

Last Sunday, Rev. Smith preached a powerful message on the second coming of Christ, and the last judgment. He boldly laid the grim destiny of mankind before his congregation.

After his sermon and the closing prayer, he announced: ‘We’re all meeting at Kingdom Park this afternoon at 1 p.m. for our Annual Fellowship Banquet. Men, don’t forget your golf clubs, and the pastries, Ladies!’

The reality that our lives can go on so casually after such a heart wrenching sermon proves one of three possibilities:
1. We are totally oblivious to the horror of everlasting punishment.
2. If we are not oblivious, then in our heart of hearts, we really do not believe it.
3. Or, (and please brace yourself and forgive me for saying so), we must be the most despicable, pathetic, detestable, wretched, and loathsome creatures in the universe worthy of the severest punishment.

The atheist Nitschke said, “If I believed in eternal hell I would crawl across England on my hands and knees on cut glass to take the gospel to just one person.”

There is Hope Beyond Hell. And not just hope as the world defines hope. We have the full assurance of Scripture that God has no intention of letting anyone be tormented forever in hell.

He is about the business of bringing all into subjection to Him, reconciling all until Himself, that one day He will be All in all. And not a single lamb will be lost.

Be another voice among Believers in this present day to proclaim God’s correct and full evangel.
He is indeed the Saviour of all!
HOPE BEYOND HELL (online reading) - Gerry Beauchemin (recently published)
http://hopebeyondhell.net/Revised_Edition.pdf

Last edited by rodgertutt; 07-13-2009 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
It isn't a game, Fundamentalist. It is key to realizing what is presented in the scriptures. We are to study to show ourselves approved and lexicons can be instrumental in this. Many believers who are not Mormons or J. Witnesses employ the use of lexicons. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity