U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,993,451 times
Default Pentecostal vs. Non-Pentecostal

Although we know that belief in God is the basis for Christianity and that Jesus died for our sins, we also know there is a great amount of diversity in doctrines outside of this basic tenet. The more I read on it, the more I see a real distinction between Pentecostal and Non-Pentecoastal doctrines. Some folks believe that Pentecostals will suffer God's wrath for following this line of thinking while others believe that it is a fullness gospel right for the time. What are your thoughts regarding this? Blessings to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:40 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,161,452 times
Well ...........

Old 09-29-2008, 06:39 AM

21,517 posts, read 27,120,938 times
Yes,

Old 09-29-2008, 08:01 AM

1,167 posts, read 980,056 times
I believe that Pentecostals believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for their sins and if they accept him as their personal savior they will inherit the kingdom of heaven. I don't practice any of the flashy gifts, speaking in tongues etc, but to those who do, if it is not to be a show off and it is really what they are doing to glorify God, who am I to tell them that they are wrong. I personally don't do it, but what others do to worship God is their business! If you don't like it, don't go to a Pentecostal church!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,060,015 times
The biggest difference between Pentecostals and non-Pentecostals comes to light in terms of the spiritual gifts. Speaking in tongues, prophecy, interpretations, laying on of hands and healing. Non-Pentecostals tend to believe that these are things that occured in biblical days but is not for today. Pentecostals believe that these things occured in biblical days and does continue to occur today.

When you look at scripture it says that God is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. Therefore, if He did something before, could He not still do it today? That is the premise behind Pentecostals. They believe that God has not changed and that when He stated that He would pour out His spirit upon His son's and daughter's that is exactly what He meant. He will do it.

I do believe that yes there are some churches that in order to appear real spiritual put on the act of having this fullness of the Holy Spirit manifested in their services. To that I say it is between God and them. God knows if it is just an act and I do believe this is grieving the Holy Spirit and it is not something God will overlook. However, by the same token, there are some churches where it is not at all about putting on an act or appearance and they do take it with full reverence to God's word. In such cases, I do not believe that if the manifestations are present, as given by God, that this is something that is grieving to Him for He is the source.

I am Pentecostal and I know that for years I was seeking the gifts. Oh I prayed and prayed for the gifts and for the fullness of the Spirit to be manifested in my life. To no avail I may add. However, one day God truly got a hold of me and I could hear Him clearly saying to me "stop seeking the gift and simply seek Me". Wow what a revelation that day as I realized how off my focus was. It was not about the gifts and what God could do for me but about God Himself and really, how could I surrender all I am to Him so that He could use me how He wanted to.

When I got my focus together and quit seeking the gifts, one day, without any thought of my own, without me trying to obtain anything, just simply in my prayer, crying out to God, it happened. All I know is it was not of my own doing, not something I could start and most definately not something I could stop. To this day I can not simply choose to do it, anymore than I can choose not to do it when it starts. I know beyond doubt that it is not of my own doing but completely of God's doing in me.

I believe God doesn't change. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. I do believe some people take advantage of this and abuse it and those should be careful in doing so, but I also know that when in the presence of such God clearly warned us to test all spirits, to seek Him and know if it is of Him or not, and usually, one who is seeking God's wisdom as to whether something is of Him or not, can tell the difference. But that is just my opinion and I realize there will be those that disagree with it, but my concern is not whether man disagrees with it or not, but whether God agree's with it, whether God is pleased with it, whether it is from God or not and I allow God to direct me in those truths, not man.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM

789 posts, read 827,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
The biggest difference between Pentecostals and non-Pentecostals comes to light in terms of the spiritual gifts. Speaking in tongues, prophecy, interpretations, laying on of hands and healing. Non-Pentecostals tend to believe that these are things that occured in biblical days but is not for today. Pentecostals believe that these things occured in biblical days and does continue to occur today.

When you look at scripture it says that God is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. Therefore, if He did something before, could He not still do it today? That is the premise behind Pentecostals. They believe that God has not changed and that when He stated that He would pour out His spirit upon His son's and daughter's that is exactly what He meant. He will do it.

I do believe that yes there are some churches that in order to appear real spiritual put on the act of having this fullness of the Holy Spirit manifested in their services. To that I say it is between God and them. God knows if it is just an act and I do believe this is grieving the Holy Spirit and it is not something God will overlook. However, by the same token, there are some churches where it is not at all about putting on an act or appearance and they do take it with full reverence to God's word. In such cases, I do not believe that if the manifestations are present, as given by God, that this is something that is grieving to Him for He is the source.

I am Pentecostal and I know that for years I was seeking the gifts. Oh I prayed and prayed for the gifts and for the fullness of the Spirit to be manifested in my life. To no avail I may add. However, one day God truly got a hold of me and I could hear Him clearly saying to me "stop seeking the gift and simply seek Me". Wow what a revelation that day as I realized how off my focus was. It was not about the gifts and what God could do for me but about God Himself and really, how could I surrender all I am to Him so that He could use me how He wanted to.

When I got my focus together and quit seeking the gifts, one day, without any thought of my own, without me trying to obtain anything, just simply in my prayer, crying out to God, it happened. All I know is it was not of my own doing, not something I could start and most definately not something I could stop. To this day I can not simply choose to do it, anymore than I can choose not to do it when it starts. I know beyond doubt that it is not of my own doing but completely of God's doing in me.

I believe God doesn't change. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. I do believe some people take advantage of this and abuse it and those should be careful in doing so, but I also know that when in the presence of such God clearly warned us to test all spirits, to seek Him and know if it is of Him or not, and usually, one who is seeking God's wisdom as to whether something is of Him or not, can tell the difference. But that is just my opinion and I realize there will be those that disagree with it, but my concern is not whether man disagrees with it or not, but whether God agree's with it, whether God is pleased with it, whether it is from God or not and I allow God to direct me in those truths, not man.
Come on. Do you really believe that?

Old 09-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Come on. Do you really believe that?
Absolutely.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 PM

43,862 posts, read 26,304,224 times
Quote:
Absolutely.
I have a similar story. People need to seek God for these answers, not follow doctrine. The day I made speaking to Jesus directly a priority in my life was the day I quit being confused.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I have a similar story. People need to seek God for these answers, not follow doctrine. The day I made speaking to Jesus directly a priority in my life was the day I quit being confused.
Very true. Not to say that other's can't help you along as well. God does speak through His servants. His word says "as iron sharpens iron, so shall one man sharpen another". Clearly God wants us to be in fellowship and to learn from one another as well. The whole concept of when one falls down the other is there to pick them up can flow from such things as being in fellowship, assembling together and having others that will pray with you and stand beside you in the darkest of times. However, it all boils down that our reliance has to be primarily upon God. If we seek Him, we will find Him and if we ask Him to reveal His word to us, to guide us and instruct us, He will.

Scripture tells us to test all spirits and that is by going to God, going to His word and seeing if it all aligns. When we put our focus on man, or what man is doing, or what man thinks is right or wrong, we are bound to be confused. God, however, is not the author of confusion and if we take our confusions, our questions, and yes, even our doubts to Him, He is faithful and just and He will answer us. He will grow us in our faith and in our trust of Him. I am living proof of that and I thank Him for it everyday of my life.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM

6,943 posts, read 7,000,971 times
Quote:
Absolutely.
My experience as well. The Book of Acts is seen as a work in progress detail of the kingdom, if you will - and if the Bible was still being written, you'd be in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity