Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:01 PM

302 posts, read 550,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Sabbath is evryday of the week, the Sabbath did not carry over to the New Testament.

"He who asserts must prove." Please prove your statement above with accurate quotes from the scripture. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Our secret place

Our secret place of peace and safety is not a hidden sanctuary here on earth; it is when we dwell in God. On earth tribulations will come; famines will come; persecutions will come; afflictions will come ... and saints will even be martyred, but Jesus said:

"And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him." Luke 12:4-5 (KJV)

That warning of Jesus tells us to fear God. So, we need to learn what it means to fear God. Here is our answer:

" ... by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil." Prov 16:6 (KJV)

"... Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Eccl 12:13 (KJV)

That standard determines whether we love and fear God ... and whether God loves us. (Even under the new covenant, we MUST obey the Ten Commandments to abide in His love.) Jesus said:

" ... If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him ... " John 14:23

If our faith in Jesus is genuine, we will obey Him. Yet, many people reject The Ten Commandments because they have been told that Jesus' commandments are different than The Ten Words of God. That is not true! Here, Jesus said that his commandments are the same as the Father's:

"He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me." John 14:24 (KJV)

Why is this important? We must KNOW that we love God and that he loves us, in order to have patience and comfort in times of adversity ...

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28 (KJV)

The scriptures, church history, and even the daily newspapers show that trouble and afflictions occur in every generation. We can be sure that each of us will have a time when our faith is tested and our faithfulness in the temptation will be the faith that pleases God.

Most "believers" lose the war against sin because they try to fight their battles in their own strength and do not call upon the LORD. The martyrs and heros of the faith overcame the world, the flesh, and the devil because they not only had faith in Jesus' sacrifice for their sins; but they also offered their bodies as a living sacrifice to God as they confessed Him before men and trusted Him to keep them from falling.

"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death." \
Rev 12:11 (KJV)

In these perilous times, when temptations are on every side, let us abide in the secret place of the most High. Our hope rests in the Almighty who is our refuge, our strength, and our deliverer. He will always be our place of peace and safety.

Shalom, peace unto you ...

Donna Kupp

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Default "Will They Walk In My Law --Or No?"

"WILL THEY WALK IN MY LAW --OR NO?"

The Sabbath is a test. Will we obey every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God --or not? To excuse their disobedience to the Sabbath Commandment, some Christians will say that it is only for the Jews; or, what day we observe isn't really important; or, we probably can't trace the calendar to when the manna was given, etc.

I am going to answer those objections with the words and life of Jesus Christ, our Saviour. Jesus is the final authority to consult about the Sabbath and its observance; because he sanctified it at creation; gave the Commandment; and will judge us all as we stand before His judgment seat. Jesus said:

"... The sabbath was made for man, ..." : Mark 2:27

The meaning of MAN: anthropos = i.e. a human being. So if you are a human being, the Sabbath was made for you. Yes, Jesus Christ sanctified The Sabbath Day at Creation, for the scriptures say of Him: \

"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." John 1:3

"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
And on the **seventh day** God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And **God blessed the seventh day**, and SANCTIFIED IT: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made."
Gen 2:1-3 (KJV)

Jesus Christ was also with ancient Israel in the wilderness and gave the instructions for gathering the manna. The record shows us that the **seventh day** is the only day that Jesus will accept as His Holy Day.

"And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:" Exodus 13:21 (KJV)

The apostle Paul identified the cloud that went with them as Jesus Christ. (See 1 Cor 10:1-13) So, Jesus knew what day the manna fell --and the manna was a test to see if the people would obey Him.

"Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day THAT I MAY PROVE THEM, WHETHER THEY WILL WALK IN MY LAW, OR NO! ... Six days ye shall gather it; but on the SEVENTH DAY, **which is the sabbath**, in it there shall be none." Exodus 16:4, 26

Please notice that the manna was given BEFORE The Ten Commandments were given on Mount Sinai. And when some people went out to gather it on the SEVENTH day; the Lord referred to the Sabbath as MY Commandments and MY instructions when he said this to Moses:

"... How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My instructions? " Exod 16:28 (NAS)

Speaking of these things, the apostle Paul gave this warning to the church: "But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness. Now, these things were our examples ... "
(See I Cor 10:1-6)

The scriptures reveal that Jesus Christ spoke The Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai so that ALL of Israel could hear them --and then, he wrote them on the tables of stone.

"And the LORD SPAKE unto you out of the midst of the fire: **ye heard the voice of the words**, but saw no similitude; **only ye heard a voice.** And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even TEN COMMANDMENTS and he wrote them upon two tables of stone." Deut 4:12-13

Moses, taught Israel statutes and judgments to show the people how to observe The Commandments of God. Here, he referred to the test of the manna and its relationship to The Sabbath Commandment:

"And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and **to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.** And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know

THAT MAN DOTH NOT LIVE BY BREAD ONLY, BUT BY EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDETH OUT OF THE MOUTH OF THE LORD DOTH MAN LIVE." Deut 8:2-3

That is the only place in the scriptures where that distinctive verse appears --except when Jesus was hungry and was tempted in the wilderness to command the stones to be made bread! Matt 4:4, Luke 4:4.

**Every word** that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD includes the Sabbath Commandment! Many Christians say they have faith in Jesus, and love Him; but before they receive the crown of life, they must pass this very same test:

"WILL THEY WALK IN MY LAW --OR NO?"

Donna Kupp

Old 01-03-2009, 09:58 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,406,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Keeping the Sabbath may be all well and good if you work a 'normal' job. I don't work Monday through Friday, 9-5, and unfortunately people don't stop getting sick just because it's Sunday (I'm one of those 'Sunday Church Go-ers' when I go to Church). So, would you say there are certain 'provisions' for this? (I'm not going to stop working the job I love, I'm just curious what your take on it would be)
Many make the excuse: "I won't be able to live/provide for my family if I keep it", (the Sabbath that is). I Asked: "How do you know you would "live", if you don't keep it"?

God will provide. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and ALL things would be added unto you. ALL things, even provision for your family.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,178,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Many make the excuse: "I won't be able to live/provide for my family if I keep it", (the Sabbath that is). I Asked: "How do you know you would "live", if you don't keep it"?

God will provide. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and ALL things would be added unto you. ALL things, even provision for your family.
Amen and amen!!
God Blessn

Old 01-03-2009, 05:36 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,908,908 times
Under Grace, we are to keep everyday holy, not just one day of the week.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Under Grace, we are to keep everyday holy, not just one day of the week.
Please supply your scripture reference for the above quote.

At this point I will Quote Paul.
Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

And John.
1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Keeping a day holy is different from worshiping on a day. There is only one day in the whole bible that God blessed and sanctified and that will be the seventh day of the week (Sabbath or Saturday). If you are going to keep every day holy, then it would be difficult to make a living. Unless you are in some type of medical or needed service field such as a policeman or fireman.
God Bless.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,908,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Please supply your scripture reference for the above quote.

At this point I will Quote Paul.
Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

And John.
1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Keeping a day holy is different from worshiping on a day. There is only one day in the whole bible that God blessed and sanctified and that will be the seventh day of the week (Sabbath or Saturday). If you are going to keep every day holy, then it would be difficult to make a living. Unless you are in some type of medical or needed service field such as a policeman or fireman.
God Bless.
Regarding your request that is highlighted in red, true born-again Christians live holy (living free from sin) everyday; that is Grace. People under the law cannot live free from sin because they are still in the flesh. When a person commits a willful sin, they are giving into the flesh.

(Romans 8:5) "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

(Romans 8:8) "So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God."

The great battle with sin in the Book of Romans was Paul explaining how the law could not keep him from sinning; many believe that Paul could not overcome all sin, but that is a misunderstanding. Once he was in Grace through Christ Jesus, he lived free from sin. The power is in the blood. The scriptures that you have provided only confirm that those who are truly born-again live free from all sin.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Regarding your request that is highlighted in red, true born-again Christians live holy (living free from sin) everyday; that is Grace. People under the law cannot live free from sin because they are still in the flesh. When a person commits a willful sin, they are giving into the flesh.

(Romans 8:5) "For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

(Romans 8:8) "So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God."

The great battle with sin in the Book of Romans was Paul explaining how the law could not keep him from sinning; many believe that Paul could not overcome all sin, but that is a misunderstanding. Once he was in Grace through Christ Jesus, he lived free from sin. The power is in the blood. The scriptures that you have provided only confirm that those who are truly born-again live free from all sin.
My friend you have proved my point. The Ten Commandments points out sin and places us under the curse of the law, which is death. The Blood of Christ removes that curse, but we must repent and have faith in Jesus. Now that is grace, God's unmerited favor. We deserve death, but Jesus has paid the price. Yet, if we continue in sin, which is transgression of Law, then we will perish. The new birth experience is the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives to change us into a new creation. By God's grace we go from being willful sinners to servants of the Most High God, who are saved by the grace of God through the blood of Jesus Christ. I don't know about you, but the God whom I serve is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him until that day. Now I can proclaim, because my God is so powerful and awesome, I can do all things through Him, and that includes living a godly victorious life. My friend, that's GOOD NEWS!!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Sabbath is evryday of the week, the Sabbath did not carry over to the New Testament.

On December 12, 08, I wrote this message to you:

"He who asserts must prove." Please prove your statement above with accurate quotes from the scripture. Thank you.

You are a "sola scriptura" man. So, what do you think about this statement of the Archbishop of Reggio at the Council of Trent when he turned the council against the Reformation by the following argument:?

"The Protestants CLAIM TO STAND UPON THE WRITTEN WORD ONLY; they profess to hold the scriptures alone as the standard of faith. They justify their revolt by the plea that the Church has apostatized from the written word and follows tradition. Now the Protestant's claim that they stand upon the written word alone is not true.

Their profession of holding the Scriptures alone as the standard of faith is false. Proof: THE WRITTEN WORD EXPLICITLY ENJOINS THE OBSERVANCE OF THE SEVENTH DAY AS THE SABBATH.

They DO NOT observe the seventh day, but reject it. If they truly hold the scriptures alone as the standard, they would be observing the seventh day as it is enjoined in the Scripture throughout. Yet they not only reject the observance of the sabbath as enjoined in the written word, but they have adopted, and do practice, the observance of Sunday, for which they have ONLY THE TRADITION OF THE CHURCH. Consequently, the claim of scripture alone as the standard fails and the doctrine of 'Scripture and tradition as essential' is fully established, the Protestants themselves being Judges." (See The Proceedings of the Council of Trent, Augsburg Confession, and Encyclopedia Britannica, article "Trent, Council of")

Donna Kupp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity