Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:36 PM

11,701 posts, read 3,556,806 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the difference between being legalistic and obeying God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 05:51 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,105,645 times
Being so rigid that you restrict the Spirit's movement in your life. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (2 Cor 3:17). We can't be so concerned about doing, rather than being. Works are great, but it's faith that moves stuff.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
Generally that someone lives to the letter of the law but:

1. doesn't follow the intent of the law

or

2. doesn't have the love of God in their hearts (example: strictly following the Bible's moral commands to fulfill your own self rightiousness

Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 PM

352 posts, read 550,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
To be a Christian of legalism is to say that your salvation comes through works and rituals; you focus on sacraments and rules instead of Jesus. When you follow Jesus and obey Him, you aren't suppressed by rituals and laws; you live according to what Jesus' lays on your heart through the Spirit and you do it because you love and want to make Him happy, not because it's the law or because it's what the church tells you to do. Love not Law

Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 PM

11,701 posts, read 3,556,806 times
Can God be separated from his law? - the law is perfect and holy - the intent of the law is love God with your whole heart, mind, soul and love your neighbour as yourself - is it legalism to follow the 10 commandments or is it obeying God?

I agree that it is legalism to think that you can earn your way by good works - It is not legalism when you repent of sin (sin is trasgression of the law) and then obey - that repentance would then mean not being lawless and not transgressing the law.

By following the spirit how do you know you are following the Holy Spirit or another spirit - surely if you are led to disobey any of Gods commandments it would not be a spirit from God?

There seem to be a lot of spirits around and if you just follow the spirit and if it seems right it must be right you can very easily be led into deception - being deceived is when you think it is right and you are not aware of being deceived.

Surely Gods law is there as a reference point.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 PM

322 posts, read 735,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Obeying GOD means to do what JESUS commands us to do or not do as written in the Bible. Anything other than that is sin.

Today the term legalism is thrown around a lot when someone feels that a particular rule or rules constitutes a nonspiritual attempt to bring about a proper relationship with GOD or when someone is seeking righteousness by human works apart from grace, faith, and JESUS CHRIST.

One of the most fundamental and original examples of legalism in the New Testament encountered by the Church, was the attempt by some Jews to combine the law of Moses with the gospel of CHRIST and mandate that to be saved one must (males of course) be circumcised. The Apostle Paul exposed that false doctrine and warned that anyone following it would fall from grace. Also, the main body of Apostles and Elders at Jerusalem agreed that salvation was received through faith in JESUS present in the work of regeneration by the SPIRIT and was not dependant on the law of Moses.

So legalism is any attempt by people to establish righteousness through a set of rules or laws that are contrary to the gospel of our LORD JESUS.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,215,972 times
To me, legalism is an adherence of a strict nature to doctrine and man's interpretation of the bible that at times places works above grace as if what Jesus did for us was not enough. It focuses on a lot of the laws of the OT and at times can stand in direct opposition of the freedoms we have in and through Christ.

I personally knew a family that was, in my opinion, very legalistic. The girls were not allowed to wear pants or shorts, only long skirts, even to ride their bikes. The cutting of the girls hair was also not done but for maybe a yearly trim of the bare ends and nothing more. Birth control was not used as it went against God. TV viewing was not allowed unless the one family TV was being used to watch a biblically/christian movie or program. Listening to any music at all that was not proper Christian music was not allowed. Dancing, even at a wedding, or going to a family movie with a friend and their youth group was not allowed. All the children were homeschooled (which I am not opposed to), however, in this sense it was done primarily to control any and all interaction with anyone that was possibly not Christian.

To me, legalism, tends to run to the extreme and keeps the person bound to law, rather than free in the grace that was provide by Christ.

Obeying God is to accept and acknowledge Him in one's heart and life, study His word and strive to be more like Him. Yes, this includes abiding by His commandments, but take for example, watching a TV program or a movie that is not necessarily a Christian one, but is also what is considered a wholesome family movie in my opinion is not disobeying God. Neither is allowing a girl to wear jeans, pants or shorts. Nor is a girl maintaining short hair a disobedience to God.

Yes we are not to be of this world, loving the things of this world, but we are in this world and not all things in it are necessarily bad. One needs to take things in perspective and filter it through God's word allowing His Holy Spirit to guide us. If we feel the conviction that something is wrong then we adhere to that, that is obeying God. However, if there is no conviction and it is not sinful, then I don't see how participating is sinning against God.

God seeks and looks into our hearts. That is what matters. Legalism sometimes places the focus on outside things, acts, and behaviors that sometimes totally miss the heart.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:50 AM

This is all a very interesting topic and also extremely important. Let's consider the following:

JESUS did not come to get rid of the law but to fulfill it.

But how does He fulfill the law? Because of sin all people were under the penalty of death and the righteous judgement of GOD. If any human is judged by GOD, he or she will always come up short and be eternally damned. As it is written: "It is appointed once for man to die and then the judgement" The righteous law of GOD, which we read about in the Old Testament, requires that if a person is guilty of breaking one commandment, he or she is guilty of breaking the whole Law and the Law requires punishment.

The entire human race was therefore guilty before GOD. Everyone deserved death and the judgement, which would result in eternal damnation.

But GOD sent JESUS to take the righteous judgement of GOD upon Himself. He died for all, so that all who believe in Him are spared from death and His death on the cross becomes our death with Him. His holy blood washes away all our sin and fully satisfies the righteous requirements mandated by the Law of GOD in regards to punishment and cleansing. So there is how JESUS fulfilled the Law concerning punishment for us. He simply took that punishment upon Himself. He freed us from the judgement!

Now that we have died with JESUS and have been raised with JESUS, He continues to fulfill the Law by the SPIRIT Who is in us. He works sanctification in us so that eventually we will become formed in His perfect image.

The SPIRIT gives us faith, hope, and love and many wonderful gifts. We are freed from death and hell.

GOD does not make us work-less lazy couch potatoes, but He puts His laws in our hearts to do them and to bear fruit for His glory!

Read the Word, study, grow in grace and in the knowledge of the LORD.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
To me, legalism is an adherence of a strict nature to doctrine and man's interpretation of the bible that at times places works above grace as if what Jesus did for us was not enough. It focuses on a lot of the laws of the OT and at times can stand in direct opposition of the freedoms we have in and through Christ.

I personally knew a family that was, in my opinion, very legalistic. The girls were not allowed to wear pants or shorts, only long skirts, even to ride their bikes. The cutting of the girls hair was also not done but for maybe a yearly trim of the bare ends and nothing more. Birth control was not used as it went against God. TV viewing was not allowed unless the one family TV was being used to watch a biblically/christian movie or program. Listening to any music at all that was not proper Christian music was not allowed. Dancing, even at a wedding, or going to a family movie with a friend and their youth group was not allowed. All the children were homeschooled (which I am not opposed to), however, in this sense it was done primarily to control any and all interaction with anyone that was possibly not Christian.

To me, legalism, tends to run to the extreme and keeps the person bound to law, rather than free in the grace that was provide by Christ.

Obeying God is to accept and acknowledge Him in one's heart and life, study His word and strive to be more like Him. Yes, this includes abiding by His commandments, but take for example, watching a TV program or a movie that is not necessarily a Christian one, but is also what is considered a wholesome family movie in my opinion is not disobeying God. Neither is allowing a girl to wear jeans, pants or shorts. Nor is a girl maintaining short hair a disobedience to God.

Yes we are not to be of this world, loving the things of this world, but we are in this world and not all things in it are necessarily bad. One needs to take things in perspective and filter it through God's word allowing His Holy Spirit to guide us. If we feel the conviction that something is wrong then we adhere to that, that is obeying God. However, if there is no conviction and it is not sinful, then I don't see how participating is sinning against God.

God seeks and looks into our hearts. That is what matters. Legalism sometimes places the focus on outside things, acts, and behaviors that sometimes totally miss the heart.
I do see where you're coming from, but the family you described seems to me to be more the model Christian family.

And speaking as a Christian man, I do wish some women when out in public, would dress more conservatively so that I and other men would not have to see what we shouldn't see. It causes temptations.

JESUS said, "If a man looks upon a woman to lust after her he has committed adultery already in His heart."

TV and movie cinema? Please. Thumbs down. I watch a little news and a documentary now and then, but most of what's on TV is not fit for human consumption.

I was a Christian 20 years ago and probably back then would have agreed with everything you wrote. But the LORD has changed me a lot and is still changing this little child of His who is not perfected yet, but is perfectly saved.

May you find mercy, grace, and peace with sanctification on your continuing journey with our LORD. Best wishes!

Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,499,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
To be a Christian of legalism is to say that your salvation comes through works and rituals; you focus on sacraments and rules instead of Jesus. When you follow Jesus and obey Him, you aren't suppressed by rituals and laws; you live according to what Jesus' lays on your heart through the Spirit and you do it because you love and want to make Him happy, not because it's the law or because it's what the church tells you to do. Love not Law
I don't agree with legalism but you have gone to an extreme. Haven't you heard of the 10 commandments? God's standard of righteousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity