U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:26 PM

6,932 posts, read 6,743,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
You don't think we should have emotions? You don't think God and Jesus bring us true happiness in this life or in Heaven? Or are you just saying we shouldn't make happiness our #1 priority? What Christian Religion are you if you don't mind me asking?
I think we correlate "happiness" with "joy" when the source of the two is actually different. Joy is a pure emotion from within, which is not subject to outward circumstances. Happiness on the other hand is true to its origin, dependent upon happenings to effect our moods.

Joy and peace - both fruits of the Spirit - are present during the most adverse circumstances in the presence of the Lord. Happiness is not technically applicable in this context.

We're spitting hairs when trying to define that we feel xxxx, but when the Spirit of the Lord is present, feelings don't matter - it's just living in Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,236,093 times
Saintmark...great post. I agree so much. Most people seem to try to have their circumstances make or break how they feel.
There used to be an old joke. One guy says, "How are you doing?". The second says, "oh pretty good, under the circumstances" The first guy says, "What are you doing under there?"
I start every morning with "the Joy of the Lord is my strength". You have to look upward and not at the daily grind. The Bible says, "when you encounter varies trails..." and that means you will!!!
I'm struggling in my marriage right now and one of my friends said, "God doesn't want you to be unhappy". I said show me the verse that says that! Sometimes we struggle in this fallen world and there are times God allows us to go through difficult things to build character in us. When we struggle in an area we can help and be a blessing to someone else going through that. And "God causes all thing to work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose"
I want my trust to be on the Rock

Old 10-23-2008, 04:29 PM

little elmer must spread rep before driftwoodpoint can be on the receiving end again.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:09 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,016,987 times
Quote:
You were actually wondering whether or not God and Jesus bring us true happiness and joy?
Not exactly. Perhaps the correct word would have been seeking rather than experiencing. But in essence, it was so much about wondering if we should as much as learning that yes, we should. Especially in the Christian circle, it is often heard that we feel joy, and that joy is from the Lord. That it depends not on our circumstances but is present despite the circumstances and that happiness, is contrary to this because it is very much dependent upon what is "happening" around us. Therefore, it is as if happiness is fleeting but only joy remains.

In this bible study we learned straight from God's word that while joy and happiness can be two very different things, God wants us to experience both, have both and that both can be found in Him and through Him. Now, while we can and do experience both joy and happiness, it is the pursuit of that happiness that can leave us empty. Why? Because happiness can be pursued through things, events, people, etc. All which can let us down. Therefore, it is not happiness that we should pursue, but God. In pursuing God, true happiness is then obtained and remains along with joy.

Quote:
It's not like the only time God brings you happiness is when you talk to Him, right? I mean, when you are doing or thinking about something else, you still have this peace and joy in you because you have God, right?
Right, I have the peace and the joy because I have God. What I meant is that in times when it would be easy not to feel it, because my circumstances may be dim or what not and it would be easy to fall into a loss of peace or lack of joy, I turn to God and in talking with Him, spending time with Him and drawing closer to Him, my peace and my joy is restored abundantly. It is as scripture tells us, "A peace that surpasses all understanding".

I have had moments in my life where others have told me how can I be so at peace in the midst of such turmoil and the only thing that I can respond is that it is by God's grace and mercy alone. Without God, without my time with God in those moments, my spirit, my heart, my mind, will be in as much turmoil as my circumstances are. However, with God, with my time with God, despite the turmoil, I can find peace and joy.

Quote:
You don't think we should have emotions? You don't think God and Jesus bring us true happiness in this life or in Heaven? Or are you just saying we shouldn't make happiness our #1 priority? What Christian Religion are you if you don't mind me asking?
I know this was not directed to me, but I thought I would toss something in here. It's not that we should not have emotions. It's that we should not trust our emotions all the time. We should not live by our emotions. Our emotions can be very misleading. Therefore, we should not rely on our emotions, but rather, rely upon God. Where our emotions can be at times unsteady and come and go with the wind in whatever direction it may be blowing at the moment, God is steady. He is always there, always the same, never changing. God can hold us steady when our emotions are causing us to be all over the place.

Emotions can be like a rollercoaster, with it's ups and downs, turns, and rushes. God is steady. Relying on our emotions can be like standing on sifting sand. However, relying on God is as standing on solid ground. We can plant our feet firmly and know we won't be shaken.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM

12,347 posts, read 14,153,823 times
Speaking only for myself, I found true happiness in God after many years of searching for him..When I realized He was within me, my path to true happiness began with each step of developing a relationship with him ..
Peace that I can't explain has come from the Lord that I have found him and the true happiness of a relationship with him..

Before the peace came, he still gave me glimpses of the JOY of heavenly happiness that I don't think can be found in this life except in glimpses..The moment of my first glimpse of each baby that I had was a glimpse of the joy found in heavenly happiness..The instant of death when a loved one smiles at the heavenly joy of true happiness..We each have experienced a fleeting moment of heavenly happiness, imo...Savor that moment

Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,423,178 times
I buried my mother exactly 7 days today! Happiness is nowhere to be found right now. Happiness was dependent on me being receptive. But let me tell you about JOY! JOY lives in me, JOY is knowing mom is resting in the arms of Jesus! JOY is knowing that I will see her again! JOY is having that blessed assurance in knowing that I too, will reign with Him forever! There is a difference between happiness and joy. God bless.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I buried my mother exactly 7 days today! Happiness is nowhere to be found right now. Happiness was dependent on me being receptive. But let me tell you about JOY! JOY lives in me, JOY is knowing mom is resting in the arms of Jesus! JOY is knowing that I will see her again! JOY is having that blessed assurance in knowing that I too, will reign with Him forever! There is a difference between happiness and joy. God bless.

Your sister in Christ Jesus
Can't rep you yet, but I know that feeling. If happiness depended upon my mom's condition in her final years, I would've cursed God (and perhaps died, if my wife had told me to - a Job joke ); but the peace of God does indeed pass all understanding.

It's interesting to note that "happiness" isn't a fruit of the Spirit, but "joy" is.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,663 times
If happiness is not the main focus in our life then why do we buy big houses and fast cars? Surely we buy fancy materialistic things to bring us happiness. Even if that is not the best way to achieve LASTING happiness we do buy things because we believe it will make our lives easier and create happiness. I believe similar to the Buddhist view that happiness is the sole of our existance. We live to explore life and find happiness, whether that be by becoming one with God, finding love, being rich, etc we do live to be happy. That is my point of view. Surely some times we are too focused on achieving something we forget WHY we want it so we are not doing it for happiness but for the credit of doing it. It is arguable that happiness can not be achieved in this life. Some say that Happiness is only found once our lives on Earth is done and we are sent to heaven, while others say that by having faith in god we can achieve happiness in this life. I believe happiness is achieved not from God or 'items of value' but from understanding ourselves and coming to peace with who we are and accepting it. Once we have accepted ourselves we make way for happiness because we no longer are effected by others comments because we do not care- we are happy with ourself and thats all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity