U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 AM

164 posts, read 434,308 times

Advertisements

Luke 22 verse 42 "Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

As a Christian, we are to seek God's will for our life, and for our situations. If we truly trust and have faith in God, He will do what is best, because His plans for us are right. I am sure that Jesus, as a man, did not want to face the cross, but He knew that it was the Father's plan. Other people, including some of His closest friends, family, and disciples, did not understand this simple fact...Jesus came to do the will of the Father.

Many times, the Lord places us in situations that we as human beings, do not want, do not desire, do not understand. Yet, we need to be submissive to the Father's will. Are you in a job where you know the Lord wants you, yet you are seeking a change? Are you living in an area where the Lord placed you, yet you are seeking to move? Are there some obnoxious people in your life, and you can't get rid of them? I could go on and on with the questions, and I am sure your answers would be yes. Just relax, give it to the Lord, and He will give you grace under pressure to endure until His divine purposes are accomplished.

Joseph was sold into slavery by his own kinfolk, yet he came to realize that God had placed him there for a time, a season, and a purpose. That story in the book of Genesis is one full of injustices, disappointments, heartache, and grief. In the end, however, it is a story of great victory and triumph...all because it was God's will.

Sometimes people you love and care for leave you, and are no longer a part of your life. God placed them there for a season and a reason. I have seen many people come and go in my lifetime, yet one always remains. He is my best friend, Jesus. I know I can trust Him in all things, even when I don't understand. After all, He was willing to follow the Father's will and give His life for me.

We should all be able to pray, "Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy will be done as in heaven, so in earth".

Irvin aka walkin2e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 06:45 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin2e View Post
Luke 22 verse 42 "Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

Many times, the Lord places us in situations that we as human beings, do not want, do not desire, do not understand. Yet, we need to be submissive to the Father's will. Are you in a job where you know the Lord wants you, yet you are seeking a change? Are you living in an area where the Lord placed you, yet you are seeking to move? Are there some obnoxious people in your life, and you can't get rid of them? I could go on and on with the questions, and I am sure your answers would be yes. Just relax, give it to the Lord, and He will give you grace under pressure to endure until His divine purposes are accomplished.

Irvin aka walkin2e
Amen! That is so true. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

My friend did the very same thing with his job two months ago and now he will be out of a job at the end of November this year. He admits he went for the wrong reasons and that it was a big mistake.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-08-2008 at 08:04 AM..

Old 10-08-2008, 06:50 AM

661 posts, read 1,029,863 times
'Are you living in an area where the Lord placed you,'

Wonder why the Lord 'placed' a fifth of the worlds population in a non Christian country, China.

How do the approximately half of the worlds religious population who were not BORN Christian relax and give it to the Lord, when most dont even know him? What is the Fathers will for them? How can Jesus be their friend?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,821,039 times
Very true. I believe absolutely in trying to look at the situations that we face and that we find ourselves in either for a short time or for a long time and ask myself and God primarily, what is He trying to accomplish, show me, do, while I am in this situation. I find I pray for Him to reveal it to me so that I can more easily experience His grace, peace and mercy through it.

One thing that I came to realize while reading that story of Joseph a while back and after seeking God on it is that notice, Joseph went through what He went through with His brothers, he was placed where he was placed, but when you think of how long it took to travel from one place to another in those days, it is clear to see that long before Joseph was placed in that ditch, God had sent out the caravan that would pick him up and take him to the destination where God wanted him to be. Joseph may not have been aware of the caravan that was on its way, his brothers surely did not expect it, even those in the caravan probably had no clue what they were to shortly do. However, God knew. He knew what He was doing. He had a plan all along and there was nothing that transpired that God did not have knowledge of and that He was not planning to turn around for a good. For His will to be accomplished.

When I am going through a tough, or even just uncomfortable situation, I often think about the story of Joseph, and even that of Job, and try to remember that I need to just rest in God because long before I started going through whatever it is, God knew this would occur. God set out the caravan. God set His plan in motion. I just need to rest in Him, trust in Him, and allow Him to do what He wants to do in my life and in the lives of those around me. Understanding of course, that as much as I would like it to be, it is not going to be in my time, but in His time. And His time is always perfect.

As I wait, I am to rely on Him, petition Him to move in my life, in the circumstance or situation, draw closer to Him and allow Him to give me grace and strength to stick it out. To hold on steadfast to my faith in Him.

As you mentioned, the story of Joseph carried injustices, dissapointments, heartache and grief, but in the end it carried such victory in and through God. This last week in church service the message was about perserverence. One of the things that was said and stood out to me was how if we drop out of the race prior to reaching that finish line, we will never see nor obtain the prize. The prize being the victory over what ever it is we are facing. God doesn't want us dropping out of the race, nor do I believe He wants us to be running the race ever complaining about the hurdles we must jump in the process. He wants us to keep our eyes on Him. Keep our eyes on the finish line. That we may endure the race, perservere and in the end obtain the victories He has set before us.

It's not always comfortable but as it has been said by many others, and as is evident in God's word, God is more concerned with our character and building it to be more like Christ, than He is about our comfort level. And honestly, He knows much better than we do what exactly it is that we need to become more like Christ.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,376,101 times
[quote=walkin2e;5599059]Luke 22 verse 42 "Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

“A New Heart and New Spirit I will but in you.”

Hello and greetings to you
I am a new member. I like studying about the Bible, I could not help but to read your story, yes there are many problems with Christians about the will of God. We just need a little help. I found something interesting about regarding about will of God, how do we know if we will do the will of God, He said that He gives as a new Heart. May be this can help you and your friends

Psalms 51: 10 Create in me a New Heart O GOD and Renew a Right Spirit within Me.

Ezekiel 36: 26 A New Heart also I will give you, and A New Spirit will I put within you; and I will take away thy stony Heart out of you body and I will give you a Heart of Spirit. (A Spiritual Heart)

Ezekiel 36: 27And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statues, and you shall keep My Laws, and do them.

Matthew 5: 8 Blessed are the pure in Heart: for they shall see God.”

There are 884 single word hearts in the Bible. There are 718 in the Old Testament and 160 in the New Testament, where God talks about the he Heart of God and the Heart of man, also the will of God. If you have a Strong, s Concordance you can find key words and write them down and you can get your own answers. I hope this will help you to find your own answers to your questions.

Sincerely TheWordIsOne

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 10-08-2008 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Adjusting letters

Old 10-08-2008, 02:52 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,814,338 times
Thanks for sharing God bless.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,212,863 times
I agree it is hard to trust God when things don't work out as you imagine.
I separated from my husband about seven and a half years ago. We were apart for a year and a half. Tons going on in my life, my mom was dying, my brother wouldn't help, menopasue, empty nest, etc. It seemed like nothing made any sense in my life. I was a born-again believer and had been in full time Christian work at one time. I came up to PA and stayed and helped my dad. Then bought a log cabin in the woods...heaven. But I read Purpose Driven Life and felt so strongly that God wanted me to go home and give it my best shot, with His help.
But I've been home for five years and things are not good. My husband has been unforgiving and my life seems sad and lonely. We are roommates at best. My dad and my grand babies are the joy of my life and God has provided wonderful Christian friends who are there for me. But I find myself at time questioning God why he brought me home for this empty, unloved life. My husband doesn't understand forgiveness. He is paying me back all the time.
Part of me of course knows God is in complete control and I work daily trying to trust Him that I am where he wants me to be. I know I have learned to seek Hin in His Word and have been forced to pray and talk to God in my sorrow. I have to turn this over to Him daily and ask him to work in my heart not to be angry and dissappointed in my situation. I know God loves me and sees my tears. Trusting is moment by moment....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity