U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-10-2008, 12:53 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,474,891 times
Reputation: 3755

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
There are many churches that don't conder being gay to be a sin. Near my Presbyterian church are others -Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, UUC, just to name a few - that accept gay people as they are. That shocks you?

Actually it neither shocks me nor surprises me. Any group that rejects part of the word of God is likely to reject any part of it that doesn't appeal to them. Too many groups subscribe to a 'feel good' doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,455 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Reputation: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Actually it neither shocks me nor surprises me. Any group that rejects part of the word of God is likely to reject any part of it that doesn't appeal to them. Too many groups subscribe to a 'feel good' doctrine.

I'm so glad I belong to a church where in the words of the great Desmond Tutu, "all belong", a church where lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Christians are full participants in God's kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 01:15 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,461,043 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Some are arrogant as to believe only they have the true intepretation and some believe strongly in their interpretation but have the faith in God and themselves to admit that, yes, it is simply their interpretation!

I respect that some interpret the Bible to say homosexuality is wrong. You may think that being gay is a 'condition' or a 'lifestyle', but it is not. It is a part of who we are. It is not an affliction or an illness. It is a part of who we are. Believe that being gay is wrong, but don't presume to believe that everyone believes as you. Spiteful comments and saying "we can change you" do nothing for your cause. I have much more respect for faiths like the Catholic Church which holds the belief that homosexuality is not a choice or something that can be changed. The believe that it is a special spiritual test for those who are gay. While I may not personally beleive that, I can respect that as it does not fly in the face of peer reviewed unbiased research, medical science, and (most of all) those of us who are gay and know ourselves

Plain and simple. what does the bible say and what is you scriptures to support your belief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,461,043 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I'm so glad I belong to a church where in the words of the great Desmond Tutu, "all belong", a church where lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Christians are full participants in God's kingdom.
Ah! Yes, The gospel of inclusion is simply the old heresy of universalism re-packaged and given a new name. Universalism is the belief that all people will eventually be saved and go to heaven.

READ Matthew 25:31-46 and tell me if you can still back up what your church supports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 PM
 
3,124 posts, read 4,097,791 times
Reputation: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Plain and simple. what does the bible say and what is you scriptures to support your belief
Many threads on here about that; this thread is not to argue for or against inclusion of homosexuals in God's Kingdom, but rather how one's church or certain churches would react to a homosexual person attending and that is the vein I was posting in.

I do not care to argue you with you or anyone about what scriptures say or not say, but if you do a search of the forum you'll find pages and pages on it. Have fun, they are some very interesting threads with more than just a little mud thrown around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 01:37 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,461,043 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Many threads on here about that; this thread is not to argue for or against inclusion of homosexuals in God's Kingdom, but rather how one's church or certain churches would react to a homosexual person attending and that is the vein I was posting in.

I do not care to argue you with you or anyone about what scriptures say or not say, but if you do a search of the forum you'll find pages and pages on it. Have fun, they are some very interesting threads with more than just a little mud thrown around
I know what this thread is about. My question is what church does not allow homosexuals? I have stated that I lived in 3 countries and I haven't seen such a church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,539,481 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Actually it neither shocks me nor surprises me. Any group that rejects part of the word of God is likely to reject any part of it that doesn't appeal to them. Too many groups subscribe to a 'feel good' doctrine.
Yeah, I just do anything and everything to feel good. WOO HOO! I think I'm gonna go rob a 7-11, beat a kitten, and masturbate in the street. Somebody help me! Toss me a moral compass!

What doesn't appeal to me is religious oppression. I've come to the conclusion that that Bible Literalist/Christian Extremists have no capability of understanding what another human goes through, i.e., no empathy. I'll say it again - I refuse to live my life in misery to make Christian Extremists feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,539,481 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I know what this thread is about. My question is what church does not allow homosexuals? I have stated that I lived in 3 countries and I haven't seen such a church?
I doubt if there are many churches that would explicitely ban homosexuals. But there are two types of churches. One "welcomes" gay people on the condition that they admit being gay, by no choice of their own, is a sin and that they must work to suppress that which came to them naturally. The second type accepts gay people just as they are, understanding that they were created that way and in no way need to/can convert to heterosexuality.

You won't find many gay people in the first type of church because they have no desire to submit to the mental torture the church would impose on them, nor would they feel welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,455 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Reputation: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Ah! Yes, The gospel of inclusion is simply the old heresy of universalism re-packaged and given a new name. Universalism is the belief that all people will eventually be saved and go to heaven.

READ Matthew 25:31-46 and tell me if you can still back up what your church supports.
Sorry, I'm not debating scripture with you, or anybody in this thread...

I merely stated that I was glad to a member of a Christian Church were all are welcome...a church were more grace is found in understanding than in dogmatic certainty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,461,043 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Sorry, I'm not debating scripture with you, or anybody in this thread...

I merely stated that I was glad to a member of a Christian Church were all are welcome...a church were more grace is found in understanding than in dogmatic certainty...
Because you can't.....you wanna go to a church where you want your ears tickled, like many other "Christians"

I know you guys don't want to quarrel but when you slam churches such as mine in this thread for actually preaching the word of God as opposed to the preaching of "understanding" in your churches. You can't see how a fella can get a lil' miffed?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-10-2008 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top