U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:12 PM

3,653 posts, read 7,262,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What would YOU do? How would the people you know at your church react? Imagine what would happen to the homosexual at your church?

Would you see a lot of the cold shoulder and evil eye? Would people pretend the person was non-existent? Would people want to lecture and pray away the gayness? Spread malicious gossip? Do people take Jesus's word and stone the homosexual for his sins?

Or would they be smiled at and welcomed? Treated like any other?

Discuss amongst yourselves....
How would I know unless thet were wearing a sign that says I am a homosexual??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 PM

702 posts, read 844,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
How would I know unless thet were wearing a sign that says I am a homosexual??
Again, the kind of "church" you're thinking of probably isn't if you go to be an audience for a few professionals on stage and "membership" is joining the rolls of an institution. Gayce who killed many young men, cut them up and put them in cement and buried them was a member of a church like that. He even taught sunday school class.

My arm or leg is a memeber of me. By union with the Holy Spirit we are "members" of the body of Christ. That means we function at His leading when we get together. We can't not know each other! Where people are in a lecture structure it is not too important who the audience is. But when every member is functioning in a round table structure meeting it makes a big difference who participates. Those living in open sin are not going to dictate to the people of God what the atmosphere in their meetings will be.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,776,213 times
Quote:
What would YOU do? How would the people you know at your church react? Imagine what would happen to the homosexual at your church?

Would you see a lot of the cold shoulder and evil eye? Would people pretend the person was non-existent? Would people want to lecture and pray away the gayness? Spread malicious gossip? Do people take Jesus's word and stone the homosexual for his sins?

Everyone is welcome as we are all sinners and we are all loved by the Lord. So 'treated like any other' would be my guess.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM

768 posts, read 625,189 times
bump for new posters
They'd be welcomed just like other people

Old 07-12-2013, 11:33 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:

I honestly believe we would welcome him/her in. We are all sinners--none of us are perfect. In time they would hear me address the subject of homosexuality--as I do preach through the Bible verse by verse. But I'm not going to go on any rant against it.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,089,182 times
As a homosexual man, I had two choices when I came to terms with the fact that I was gay, born that way, and nothing was ever going to change that:

1) Believe the interpretation that who I am is an abomination to God and spend the rest of my life celibate and avoiding as much contact with attractive men as possible and hope that my misery on earth would end sooner rather than later

2) Have an honest discussion with myself and the Spirit and discover that while homosexuality may not be God's ideal, He understands imperfection through the suffering of Christ and knows that me loving another man is not harming anyone. I have full faith that God blesses my love and my relationship. If a church or church official wants to sit on his/her high, holy horse and tell me that only his/her conversations with the Spirit are correct, then I know there's a lot more wrong with that person or church than just being judgemental to gay people.

Now, to those who are going to respond to me that I'm wrong and believing a lie, I've heard it all before and refuted it all before. I won't play that game in here with you, so your words will go unread by me. I know how nasty you can be, so I choose not let you infect me. But I know in my heart where I sit with God. I am a man of true compassion, not confused group loyalty.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
As a homosexual man, I had two choices when I came to terms with the fact that I was gay, born that way, and nothing was ever going to change that:

1) Believe the interpretation that who I am is an abomination to God and spend the rest of my life celibate and avoiding as much contact with attractive men as possible and hope that my misery on earth would end sooner rather than later

2) Have an honest discussion with myself and the Spirit and discover that while homosexuality may not be God's ideal, He understands imperfection through the suffering of Christ and knows that me loving another man is not harming anyone. I have full faith that God blesses my love and my relationship. If a church or church official wants to sit on his/her high, holy horse and tell me that only his/her conversations with the Spirit are correct, then I know there's a lot more wrong with that person or church than just being judgemental to gay people.

Now, to those who are going to respond to me that I'm wrong and believing a lie, I've heard it all before and refuted it all before. I won't play that game in here with you, so your words will go unread by me. I know how nasty you can be, so I choose not let you infect me. But I know in my heart where I sit with God. I am a man of true compassion, not confused group loyalty.
You seem to be a reasonable person, and I'm not going to condemn you.

My only question is, if you are a believer in Christ, how do you reconcile the statements that are in the Bible against homosexuality? Do we give a free pass to people that are also struggling with issues that they born with a predisposition to?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 PM

23,267 posts, read 12,056,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You seem to be a reasonable person, and I'm not going to condemn you.

My only question is, if you are a believer in Christ, how do you reconcile the statements that are in the Bible against homosexuality? Do we give a free pass to people that are also struggling with issues that they born with a predisposition to?
Vizio, is it your opinion that one cannot be a follower of/believer in Christ without also believing in the inerrancy of the bible?

Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Vizio, is it your opinion that one cannot be a follower of/believer in Christ without also believing in the inerrancy of the bible?
I would say that it is highly unlikely--and is problematic. I've never met a person that believed the Bible had error that also believed correctly on essential doctrines.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 PM

23,267 posts, read 12,056,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I would say that it is highly unlikely--and is problematic. I've never met a person that believed the Bible had error that also believed correctly on essential doctrines.
I'm pleased most Christians believe otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or