U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,023,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm pleased most Christians believe otherwise.
How do you know what a Christian is, if you can't agree on what the criteria is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 03:07 PM

23,509 posts, read 12,161,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you know what a Christian is, if you can't agree on what the criteria is?
I would suppose a Christian is a person who aspires to be like Jesus, as they perceive him to be.

I'm not sure what a bible-worshipper aspires to. Perhaps you can tell me.

I just know I much prefer the company of Christians who understand much of the bible is myth and who believe doing good is more important than telling others they're going to hell.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:31 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,443,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I know how nasty you can be, so I choose not let you infect me.
Good for you!

If someone is judging you for being what God made you, or presumptuous enough to tell you that you aren't "believing correctly" it's time to walk away from them. What they think of you, or your beliefs, doesn't matter. What you think of yourself does. Find your path and be true to it.

(Great post.)

Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,023,861 times
Quote:
I would suppose a Christian is a person who aspires to be like Jesus, as they perceive him to be.
How do you know that? If someone disagrees with you, who is right?
Quote:

I'm not sure what a bible-worshipper aspires to. Perhaps you can tell me.
I wouldn't know. I don't worship the Bible.
Quote:
I just know I much prefer the company of Christians who understand much of the bible is myth and who believe doing good is more important than telling others they're going to hell.
That just makes my head spin.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 PM

15,585 posts, read 7,049,285 times
Quote:
You seem to be a reasonable person, and I'm not going to condemn you.

My only question is, if you are a believer in Christ, how do you reconcile the statements that are in the Bible against homosexuality? Do we give a free pass to people that are also struggling with issues that they born with a predisposition to?
From my perspective, I have seen only one that was not clearly referring to idolatrous religious practices or profligate behavior, and that one is in a list of prohibitions most Christians don't pay any attention to anymore. I'd say that the question in any case would be whether the behavior to which the subject has a predisposition causes harm to anyone including that person or any problems in and of itself to society.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:46 PM

23,509 posts, read 12,161,183 times
Quote:
...snip...

That just makes my head spin.
Don't overdo.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 PM

30,319 posts, read 20,050,950 times
Quote:
I'm pleased most Christians believe otherwise.
Me too. The day of the fundamentalist is over.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 PM

37,644 posts, read 25,331,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
From my perspective, I have seen only one that was not clearly referring to idolatrous religious practices or profligate behavior, and that one is in a list of prohibitions most Christians don't pay any attention to anymore. I'd say that the question in any case would be whether the behavior to which the subject has a predisposition causes harm to anyone including that person or any problems in and of itself to society.
This would be why Christ's two commands . . . to "love God and each other" would encompass any and all sins. If you are trying NOT to harm anyone else or society at large in love of God and Jesus . . . you would not sin, period. It is all a matter of what your state of mind (or Spirit) is and how compatible it is with Christ.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 PM

523 posts, read 509,569 times
As for the church, a lot of homosexuals are "still in the closet." They aspire to worship and participate in local churches; not to start their own movements and the like. I believe they would want inclusion, not an exception.

So my answer to the OP is this: they are in our churches, in our choirs, and in our pulpits. Most of us do not realize it.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:38 AM

20,189 posts, read 12,878,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What would YOU do? How would the people you know at your church react? Imagine what would happen to the homosexual at your church?

Would you see a lot of the cold shoulder and evil eye? Would people pretend the person was non-existent? Would people want to lecture and pray away the gayness? Spread malicious gossip? Do people take Jesus's word and stone the homosexual for his sins?

Or would they be smiled at and welcomed? Treated like any other?

Discuss amongst yourselves....
You mean a homosexual would come into church with a sign on his back saying what he did in bed? Not likely so nothing to worry about there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or