U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
What is considered sin at your church?
The ususal list - murder, lying, cheating, stealing, adultry, cruelty, etc. You know, things that hurt yourself and others. What are you implying? That if homosexuality isn't considered a sin, then niether is anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Sounds like a "Its ALL Good" church.

godspeed,

freedom
Yeah, we usually smoke pot during the service and then have orgies afterward

You'd probably be shocked to see that this large congregation (2800 or so) is primarliy made up of families and retired people. The difference is they accept my family as it is and understand that being gay isn't a choice or something to be supressed.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
This thread is really shocking! I had no idea that so many religious groups that call themselves 'christians' do not believe that there is such a thing as sin! Even scarier is that they couldn't care less! May God have mercy on us all....
There are many churches that don't conder being gay to be a sin. Near my Presbyterian church are others -Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, UUC, just to name a few - that accept gay people as they are. That shocks you?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,513,116 times
He or she would be welcome to our fellowship just as would a drunk, thief, adulterer, or any other sinner. But it is expected that once they become Christians they repent of their sins and try not to repeat them.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
However, if you define sin by only the 10 commandments, then homosexuality is a sin because it is adultry, which is forbidden by the 10 commandments. And, as God created marriage between man and woman (Adam & Eve), then there is no way around the adultry issue as regards homosexual relations.

One other point, you know, up until about the 20th century, homosexuality was only regarded as a behavior and was not a label for one's identity or personality. That's a somewhat recent innovation, having people "identified" as homosexual.

IMO, people are people ... they should not be "defined" by their behavior. It is the behavior that is a sin. A person can be saved from that sin, just as with any sin.
Up until the 20th century, women couldn't vote and black people were considered property.

Do you consider heterosexuality to only be a behavior? You can be homosexual your entire life and never engage in sex. It's about who you're capable of falling in love with. You have sex with the person you love and commit yourself to.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
There are many churches that don't conder being gay to be a sin. Near my Presbyterian church are others -Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, UUC, just to name a few - that accept gay people as they are. That shocks you?
No, and that's why I'm not a member of any of those wayward denominations.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Up until the 20th century, women couldn't vote and black people were considered property.
Actually, freed male slaves got the vote almost 60 years before women of any race.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
First I am curious about how do you know a persons sexual preference in the church? Should we shake their hand and ask them? When the minister welcomes them from his pulpit should he ask their sexual preferences? Maybe we need to add another question to the visitor cards (sexual preference?) before us in the Hymnal rack..Should I feel left out because no one cared to ask my sexual preferences at any of the churches I attended?
When we joined our church, we joined as a couple. We didn't need to explain anything. And sometimes it's just obvious that someone is gay.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Even though your question seems baiting... I'll go ahead and answer.

Sexual immorality is that which occurs sexually outside the realm of marriage. Sex is a gift from God to be enjoyed between a husband and wife. The marriage bed is undefiled. This means that what a husband and wife agree to do between themselves in their bedroom is not sexual immorality.
But the Bible doesn't define marriage as a couple who has a marriage license from a state in the U.S. My church considers us to be married, and so do we. And there are two states where gay people can be legally married. I guess the comeback for that by fundies is that "God doesn't recogognize those legal marriages".

Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
He or she would be welcome to our fellowship just as would a drunk, thief, adulterer, or any other sinner. But it is expected that once they become Christians they repent of their sins and try not to repeat them.
Thanks so much for comparing my 12 year relationship to drunkeness and crime

Depends on the church if it's considered a sin, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or