Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No, and that's why I'm not a member of any of those wayward denominations.
Live and let live. Attend the church of your choice - that's the American way. Just don't legislate your anti-gay views and we'll all live in peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Depends on the church if it's considered a sin, you know.
Key word: considered

Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What would YOU do? How would the people you know at your church react? Imagine what would happen to the homosexual at your church?

Would you see a lot of the cold shoulder and evil eye? Would people pretend the person was non-existent? Would people want to lecture and pray away the gayness? Spread malicious gossip? Do people take Jesus's word and stone the homosexual for his sins?

Or would they be smiled at and welcomed? Treated like any other?

Discuss amongst yourselves....
Welcome them with open arms. However, since the homosexual lifestyle is forbidden in the bible, they would not be permitted to become a part of the congregation unless they discontinued that course. If they refused to do this, they would still be welcome at our meetings, not shunned or given the evil eye. I would certainly not take part in any malicious gossip. But I will feel compelled to encourage them to make whatever changes they could in order to take sides with God.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:
But the Bible doesn't define marriage as a couple who has a marriage license from a state in the U.S. My church considers us to be married, and so do we. And there are two states where gay people can be legally married. I guess the comeback for that by fundies is that "God doesn't recogognize those legal marriages".
God didn't define marriage as one with a license. So in that regard, if a couple consider themselves married (common-law marriage comes to mind) without a slip of paper, it can still be recognized by God... but he did define marriage as between man and woman, license or not.

Simply because man says it's okay doesn't make it okay with God.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
God didn't define marriage as one with a license. So in that regard, if a couple consider themselves married (common-law marriage comes to mind) without a slip of paper, it can still be recognized by God... but he did define marriage as between man and woman, license or not.

Simply because man says it's okay doesn't make it okay with God.
And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Let's just keep it as "opinion".

Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Let's just keep it as "opinion".
I believe they have verses to back that up, it's not her opinion.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I believe they have verses to back that up, it's not her opinion.
I'm sure they interpret certain verses to back up their opinions.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
I'm sure they interpret certain verses to back up their opinions.
The same way you interpret but I guess you are right.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
The same way you interpret but I guess you are right.
Yes, I interpret too!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Some are arrogant as to believe only they have the true intepretation and some believe strongly in their interpretation but have the faith in God and themselves to admit that, yes, it is simply their interpretation!

I respect that some interpret the Bible to say homosexuality is wrong. You may think that being gay is a 'condition' or a 'lifestyle', but it is not. It is a part of who we are. It is not an affliction or an illness. It is a part of who we are. Believe that being gay is wrong, but don't presume to believe that everyone believes as you. Spiteful comments and saying "we can change you" do nothing for your cause. I have much more respect for faiths like the Catholic Church which holds the belief that homosexuality is not a choice or something that can be changed. The believe that it is a special spiritual test for those who are gay. While I may not personally beleive that, I can respect that as it does not fly in the face of peer reviewed unbiased research, medical science, and (most of all) those of us who are gay and know ourselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity