Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,497,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
What, might I ask, did that accomplish?
Honestly I don't know if it did, but it made want to get out and pass out some more gospel tracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,497,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Reformed please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

You've taken up approximatley 26% of this thread so far with your views which really amount to one view: Abortion. Its astonishing to me that it takes 26% of the thread for you to feel that you've gotten your point across. Now you feel the need to come after me when I present a simple solution to what I see is a thread going in the wrong direction.

I have two words for you that I'm not allowed to say on this forum. As such I'll just say "peace out" in hopes that you'll find it within yourself to keep the thread on topic instead of attacking others. Thanks and have a great effing day.
Your words not mine. The question is why does Christians like McCain instead of Obama" The word, "Christian" erego religious, morality. I haven't gootrn my point across becuase Christians such as yourself still want to be consumed by world affairs while thousands are dieing and going to hell.

But that's ok because the verteran's affair have more money. right?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,845,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I agree that we should love our neighbor and the fruits of being a Christian is giving, helping, caring but again I ask, you if life is but a vapor, Paul said. What is the point of loving your neighbour if you don't give them the gospel

Actually it does, the other day I heard a boy was shot and killed for no apparent reason, was very smart and had a great future ahead of him. I wanted justice for that boy and I wanted to help his family but the first thing I asked, was that boy saved? Did Christ know him?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who'd you ask?

Yourself or his family?
I ask myself. I prayed to God that he found Jesus before he died, I never asked, if he was fed or had clothes on his back
Quote:
What, might I ask, did that accomplish?
Honestly I don't know if it did, but it made want to get out and pass out some more gospel tracts.

My point is that if you were in his neighborhood the week before taking care of the folks there or helping your neighbors by being in the trenches with them (READ: One of those programs you imply Christ wouldn't be a part of), then you just might have had an opportunity to come into contact with that child. You wouldn't have to ask yourself(pointless) but you could have asked him(utmost importance).

I doubt it would have done much good shouting from street corners but if you meet folks on their level, they just might care what you have to say.

We've chased this thing a loooong way, haven't we? Bottom line is that if we want to reach anyone with the gospel, we have to care about EVERYONE and Veteran Affairs is part of EVERYONE.

PS. I do pray that child knew Christ.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,039,697 times
Quote:
Your words not mine. The question is why does Christians like McCain instead of Obama" The word, "Christian" erego religious, morality. I haven't gootrn my point across becuase Christians such as yourself still want to be consumed by world affairs while thousands are dieing and going to hell.

But that's ok because the verteran's affair have more money. right?
I would answer your question(s).. but I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Please take time to post what mean. Right now I read your post as veterans are having affairs for more money?!?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 PM

428 posts, read 1,626,622 times
This is an entirely different take on why Christians might vote for McCain. I heard part of a fascinating radio program, and unfortunately I didn't hear who the speaker was. He was a neuroscientist, I know that much. But I agree with what he said, and this post is based on the same ideas.

There are probably two categories you could place Christians into (Yes, I know this is simplified, but stay with me): The ones who have been raised within the "Almighty God", paternalistic, discipline, punishment framework ("traditional, conservative"). And the ones who have been raised in the compassionate, turn-the-other-cheek, generous, tolerant framework ("progressive, liberal"). The first group will vote for McCain, the second for Obama, most likely.

The brain is a plastic thing, and can be molded by what we think, and this is a feedback loop. Thus you can reinforce certain brain pathways by repeatedly thinking something. The Right-wing has hit on the effective strategy over the past 10 or 15 years of sneaking false stereotypes into the common national dialogue. For example, "elite liberal" to make you think liberals are all latte-sipping, Volvo-driving snots, while conservatives are the "real" people, the heart of America, blah blah blah. This is the BIG LIE they have managed to get people to believe and reinforce in their own minds.

As a result of this, a silver-spoon rich boy whose daddy made everything possible for him managed to be viewed as "Joe Sixpack" (a Palin platitude I find deplorable) has been president for 8 years and brought our once-great nation to ruin. Oh, he was "born again". Oh, then he must be a regular guy who understands us and our concerns. How false that turned out to be.

You don't have to always believe one way or the other all the time. You may have some conservative ideas and some more liberal. We all have the brain patterns to understand the Punishing/Discipline/Strong Dad thing, and we also have the Compassion/Generous patterns. It all depends on which patterns are reinforced the strongest.

Christians who are voting for McCain evidently have listened and reinforced the first pattern at cost to the second. (I am not claiming this is universal. Obvously if your only criterion is anti-abortion, or you're convinced Obama is the Anti-Christ, you have your reasons for your vote. This is a generalization.)

I am convinced, though, that people in general, Christian or not, vote against their own interests often due to just these reasons.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 PM

702 posts, read 1,000,678 times
So which do you choose? The devil in red or the devil in blue?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM

428 posts, read 1,626,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
So which do you choose? The devil in red or the devil in blue?
I thought the devil wore Prada. Seriously, you would want to understand the issues, choose the candidate whom you think is better able to deal with the issues, and balance it with how you feel about his character.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM

190 posts, read 880,498 times
I remember reading in the bible (i dont remember the quote or phrase) but God treats all sin the same. It is different in our world where we treat certain sins differently. If you say a little white lie it is the same as killing somebody in Gods eyes. But as christians we know that God accepts every one of his followers no matter what they did if they repent it is like it never happened. But you cant just repent you have to do it with faith and truthfulness. Also we dont have to vote but if we want things done the right way we have to make a choice. Some of the issues spoken by both candidates like abortion and homosexuality is something that can be dealt with. Abortion can become illegal. And even though there are some rights for Homosexuals arent there rights for religion and beliefs as well. If there is which im not sure about can someone tell me.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,480,005 times

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=yIo2Eqfio7c

Old 10-10-2008, 01:04 PM

5,868 posts, read 3,747,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'm actually interested in this as I think its fascinating.

What are the reasons?

I'll state why I think its fascinating then promise not to try to post in the thread. I don't want this thread viewed as me trying to get into arguement.

Why its fascinating to me:

1. From my POV it seems that in the middle of one of the greatest financial crisis (whats the plural of crisis?) the right wing seems more concerned with abortion. That fascinates me.

2. From my POV it seems that in the middle of one of the greatest financial crisis (whats the plural of crisis?) the right wing seems more concerned with homosexuality. That fascinates me.

3. Obama is proposing that 95% of the population gets a tax cut. I don't make over $250K so I look at that as a good thing. The fact that others don't see it that way.. fascinates me.

4. Is it foriegn policy? I ask because even if you think Obama isn't "qualified" he at least chose a VP that has years of foriegn policy experience. You can't really say the same about McCain.

5. Is it Veterans affairs? I non partisian report was released just today that gives McCain a D (as in Doh) in Veterans affairs. Obama got a B.

6. Is it healthcare? McCain doesn't think its a right. Tell that to any hospital administrator that has an ER room. Its already a right.

All these things fascinate me. What is it then? Is it the Bill Ayers thing? Is that what tips the scales?

Alright... I'm stepping away. I'm going to try to stay away from the thread and just read it (unless someone directly asks me a question). I just really want to know. Maybe I'm missing something..

Thanks in advance to anyone that posts..
To get back to the op, for me it's as simple as being a republican. I'm not thrilled with the republican choice, but I'm certainly not going to vote for Obama just because of that. I don't like the democratic party and what it stands for, and I detest liberalism. I just cannot vote for someone who is a democrat. I'm a Christian, and the republican party has always represented Chrisitianity and conservativism the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity