U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,820,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have a tattoo from my teenage, drug abusing years. Now, I forget that I even have it. I've had people start up conversations because of it, and I've been able to communicate how He has changed my life.
Thanks for sharing. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 03:44 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,453,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I just thought of those converted in prison. Like me, you may have seen images from documentaries where incarcerated converts emblazon their bodies with messages of God’s love. That’s where I consider that (for some, at least) this is their best way of communicating with those around them of what the Lord has done.

In that environment, the medium is altered, so the message is as well.
You are confusing me because you don't alter the message, you can alter the delivery of the message but never the message.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,769,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
You are confusing me because you don't alter the message, you can alter the delivery of the message but never the message.
I think possibly that you're misinterpreting his thought....

But, you are correct. You don't alter the message for the audience.
I have done prison ministry in a youth prison setting. You certainly don't compromise with sin to make the message more appealing.

But, in today's society,... to be legalistic on something like tattoos is to exclude a whole lot of young people from God's family.
I don't believe that's God's desire. Tattoos are not an unforgivable sin. God accepts all of us "as we are" when we come to Him.

I also don't believe that people have to be running to the doctor to have their tattoos removed when they become Christians, either....
that is, unless for some reason God puts it into their heart that they should...

The people that God chose to use as examples in the Bible are a lot of colorful people, i.e., many people who had "less than desirable" pasts...
Do you think it was intentional?

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-09-2008 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I think possibly that you're misinterpreting his thought....

But, you are correct. You don't alter the message for the audience.
I have done prison ministry in a youth prison setting. You certainly don't compromise with sin to make the message more appealing.

But, in today's society,... to be legalistic on something like tattoos is to exclude a whole lot of young people from God's family.
I don't believe that's God's desire. Tattoos are not an unforgivable sin. God accepts all of us "as we are" when we come to Him.

I also don't believe that people have to be running to the doctor to have their tattoos removed when they become Christians, either....
that is, unless for some reason God puts it into their heart that they should...

The people that God chose to use as examples in the Bible are a lot of colorful people. Many people who had "less than desirable" pasts...
Do you think it was intentional?
I agree. I never said, having a tottoo is a sin in of itself but what could be sin is the reason for that tattoo.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,769,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I agree. I never said, having a tottoo is a sin in of itself but what could be sin is the reason for that tattoo.
I'm assuming that you're thinking of gang tattoos ???

Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming that you're thinking of gang tattoos ???
Maybe but there are many other reasons for having tattoos that are sinful for example. When you dress to go out. Are you dressing in a manner so the ladies will look at you, leading to lusting after you?

Then you are causing someone else to sin and that in of itself is a sin.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 AM

2,214 posts, read 4,997,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I have heard someone talk about the bible saying something about...
Having Tattoo's as sinful?
Does anyone know where it states this or what it says?
I have also heard that Catholics believe having a tattoo of Christ,Cross,etc is Blasphemy?

No, not sinful. We are no longer under the mosaic law covenant which forbids tattoo markings (incidentally, the type of tattoos being discussed here were in honor of false gods). However, a Christian has to consider whether getting a tattoo would offend others or push them away from the message they preach. If so, it might be best not to get one.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:58 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,914,229 times
Well tattoos have been around for a long time. I suppose the message that the tat gives is the criteria for determining it's status as "sinful". The Roman legions were tattoed with the mark of service all the way from the roots of Rome to it's conversion to a Nation of the Church. That may be a bit different from what we are discussing but historically tattoos have been commonplace in both Christian and non Christian culture. A tat is just a symbol at the end of the day. It's what the wearer is putting across with the symbol that makes the difference.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,557,405 times
Quote:
The people that God chose to use as examples in the Bible are a lot of colorful people, i.e., many people who had "less than desirable" pasts...
How right you are WC.

Noah was a drunk, Abraham was too old, Isaac was a daydreamer, Jacob was a liar, Leah was ugly, Joseph was abused, Moses had a stuttering problem, Gidean was afraid, Sampson had long hair & was a womanizer, Jeremiah and Timothy were too young, David had an affair & was a murderer, Elijah was suicidal, Isaiah preached naked, Jonah ran from God, Naomi was a widow, Job went bankrupt, Peter denied Christ, the disciples fell asleep while praying, Martha worried about everything, the Samaritan woman divorced several times, Zacheus was too small, Paul was too religious, Timothy has an ulcer...

...Lazarus was dead...

...Jesus helped them all.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
How right you are WC.

Noah was a drunk, Abraham was too old, Isaac was a daydreamer, Jacob was a liar, Leah was ugly, Joseph was abused, Moses had a stuttering problem, Gidean was afraid, Sampson had long hair & was a womanizer, Jeremiah and Timothy were too young, David had an affair & was a murderer, Elijah was suicidal, Isaiah preached naked, Jonah ran from God, Naomi was a widow, Job went bankrupt, Peter denied Christ, the disciples fell asleep while praying, Martha worried about everything, the Samaritan woman divorced several times, Zacheus was too small, Paul was too religious, Timothy has an ulcer...

...Lazarus was dead...

...Jesus helped them all.
What doe all that have to do with tattoos. The question is, is having a tattoo a sin? I say, not in of itself but it can be a sin for certain reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or