U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,464,772 times

Advertisements

Several of my brethren have tatoos that they got in their younger days...mostly while in the military. I do not consider them a sin, but at least one of them is an embarrassing tatoo, and I wish he would always wear long sleeves while in puplic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The people that God chose to use as examples in the Bible are a lot of colorful people, i.e., many people who had "less than desirable" pasts...
Do you think it was intentional?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
What doe all that have to do with tattoos. The question is, is having a tattoo a sin? I say, not in of itself but it can be a sin for certain reasons.
World Citizen made the observation that many people in the bible had "questionable" lives from which their ministries sprang - I was just chiming in (without mentioning my own past ). A tatoo in itself is not a sin, imo - it's just a representation of where that person's heart (or mind, or both) is at that time.

Mine is a lightening bolt, which I received at the age of 16 while on LSD. If you ask, that's what I'll tell you as an intro into what God has done for this one.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:21 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,759,338 times
Default another short answer...

You know... since becoming a christian some 30 years ago -- and because of the type of minsitries that I've been called to work with -- I've had much opportunity to consider this subject.

I really believe that the root reason that most people get tattoos is rebellion and we know where that comes from and what God thinks of that.

Having said that...

When you look at the popularity of "body art" today it seems like just another sign of the time we're living in

and, I'm pretty certain that it saddens Father God to see christian youth who are choosing to partake of this worldly fashion.

The things we've done BC are forgiven when we accept Jesus.
There's no condemnation... God accepts us as we are.

As Christians, AD, we should want to please God in all of our ways.

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-10-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,245,696 times
Nah, it's not a sin. I'd never get one myself. My life rule # 43: Never put something on your body that you can't take off

Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 PM

396 posts, read 730,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Nah, it's not a sin. I'd never get one myself. My life rule # 43: Never put something on your body that you can't take off
These days you can remove them...well...you could always remove them, it's just a lot less damaging.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
Quote:
The things we've done BC are forgiven when we accept Jesus.
There's no condemnation... God accepts us as we are.
I believe nothing pleases Him more than when we come - as we are - and trust in His love and acceptence. We come by the blood...nothing else.

Hallelujah!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,574,157 times
[quote=World Citizen;5638677] I really believe that the root reason that most people get tattoos is rebellion and we know where that comes from and what God thinks of that. [quote]

My son is in his third tour with the USCG, he has a tattoo of a Celtic cross on his shoulder. Who do you think he is rebelling against? Do you really think his devotion to God and country to willingly put his life on the line every single day to save those in peril is not his ministry and that God does not approve?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post

My son is in his third tour with the USCG, he has a tattoo of a Celtic cross on his shoulder. Who do you think he is rebelling against? Do you really think his devotion to God and country to willingly put his life on the line every single day to save those in peril is not his ministry and that God does not approve?
MICoastieMom,

I appreciate your son's service. I bet that his Celtic cross is beautiful.

I think if you read all of my posts in this thread that you'll find that my heart is not judgmental toward ANYONE with Tattoos.

God bless you. May your son come home safely!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe nothing pleases Him more than when we come - as we are - and trust in His love and acceptence. We come by the blood...nothing else.

Hallelujah!
AMEN!!!

Can't rep ya yet but I would if I could.

God bless you!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,574,157 times
Quote:
MICoastieMom,

I appreciate your son's service. I bet that his Celtic cross is beautiful.

I think if you read all of my posts in this thread that you'll find that my heart is not judgmental toward ANYONE with Tattoos.

God bless you. May your son come home safely!
I did read all of your posts, and I agree you are far more accepting and less judgemental than many. Forgive me if I am reading something into them, but there seeed to be a subtle undercurrent in them that tattoos are a sign of weakness, a momentary lapse of good judgement, a temporary fall from grace. I hope I am wrong, my apologies if I am.

My point was that are times when a tattoo can be a good thing, a choice made by responsible individuals. My son is discouraged from wearing his cross on duty for safety reasons- too many things a chain can get caught on. What about divers who tattoo their feet for identification purposes in case of an accident? Are their lives to be so easily dismissed as being of no value because they fall outside some narrow and literal interpretation? So many on here speak only in terms of absolutes; seeing life in black and white is fine if you live an a perfect world. I don't know anyone who does.

The thing that I find surprising about the whole subject are the numbers of people who seem bothered by them. And how much they are bothered by them. Isn't this the fourth or fifth thread in various forums that has appeared this month? With all that is going on in the world today, seems like tattoos is an odd subject to garner so much of people's time and energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or