U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:46 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,840,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I hear ya but we are very fortunate in this country. We have religious freedom. If women in New Dehli pass out Gospel tracts. Why can't we? Are we afraid that our little feeling might get hurt because they might reject us and heavens forbid, call us "Bible thumpers"

Paul went through worse. He faced a imprisonment, a beating even death and he had a monumental task. Yet we Christians cannot pass out a simple gospel tract?
Reformed Liberal, I don't see anything wrong with passing out gospel tracts. But I believe that a great witness is living my life in a way that pleases the Lord and hopefully others will see a difference. Actions speak louder than words and that's the challenge. I have passed out many Bible tracts and knocked on doors and turned some people off by the way that I came across. I was very aggressive. Some believers may be afraid of being called Bible Thumpers and some may not. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 04:47 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,468,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I spread God's word through my actions. I choose not to do it by trying to shove my religion down people's throats. That, for me, is not an effective method of spreading God's word and it is a huge turn off. However, if someone approaches me with questions regarding religion and Christianity, I am more than happy to share God's word with them.
That's not for you decide. What does the bible say. I have been hearing in this forum Christian after Christian saying, "I don't believe....." but it's not what you believe, it's what God wants you to do. God is good, God's word is true and He will never steer you wrong.

Either you believe that or you don't.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:54 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,840,305 times
This scripture encouraging when I try to share with others:

2 Timothy 2

Quote:
24 And the Lord's servant must not strive, but be gentle towards all, apt to teach, forbearing,
25 in meekness correcting them that oppose themselves; if peradventure God may give them repentance unto the knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him unto his will.
It helps me to see how I am to relate to them and helps me to realize that it is all up to or dependent on God. God bless.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,372,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
That's not for you decide. What does the bible say. I have been hearing in this forum Christian after Christian saying, "I don't believe....." but it's not what you believe, it's what God wants you to do. God is good, God's word is true and He will never steer you wrong.

It also says that people have "gifts differing". Not everyone is good at everything. That's why your doctors don't tend to practice law...or vice versa. If it isn't something you're meant to do, then why do it?

Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,766,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It also says that people have "gifts differing". Not everyone is good at everything. That's why your doctors don't tend to practice law...or vice versa. If it isn't something you're meant to do, then why do it?
I have to agree with you on this. I don't have good people skills either, but after much stressing over and feeling guilty about not verbally witnessing to people, I realized that it was ok for me because it's not my gift. My gift is writing, and I would better serve the Lord writing tracts and handing them out, which is exactly what I plan to do.

Besides, many, many, many years away from the Lord taught me that the greatest turn-off and anger provoking thing a Christian can do is come up to a stranger and start preaching. I can only base what I know about this on how it made me feel....and it made me feel like I wanted to punch them in the face. It doesn't work. Chances are when someone reacts in anger and disgust, the Lord is already dealing with them anyway and they will seek Him out, like I did.

Reformed, lighten up. Not everyone is supposed to do this. Different people are called to do different things. And I have to be honest...someone trying to witness to me in a pushy, in your face way, even now, makes me angry. But now it's like...."how dare you assume I'm not a Christian!!!" Don't get me wrong, I would love to know that even one person went to heaven because I helped bring them to the Lord. But see, we're witnessing right now. We have no idea who we affect and who will be in heaven because of us. I think it will be quite surprising.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:49 AM

3,528 posts, read 7,181,115 times
Quote:

Do not tell me how to practice my religion! I practice as I believe. I do make the decisions based on what I feel is right. Who are you to criticize it? Thank you!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 AM

396 posts, read 732,106 times
I don't "witness" because as someone else said, it's not my "gift." I have been "preached to" many times by "thumbers" and "fundies" and I actually don't appreciate someone else trying to force their brand of Christianity down my throat. I had a JW hand me info and try to preach to me while I stopped for a cup of coffee on my way to work on Christmas morning, I just smiled, thanked her, told her I had to get to work, and then threw the little pamphlet out when I got to work. God has blessed me with other gifts other than that of 'witnessing.' Don't think I haven't tried it once...I did...and failed miserably at it. In fact, it's why I left the IVCF while at West Chester...I was basically made fun of by the other members for not being able to 'evangalize', then berated because I'm Catholic, then berated because I couldn't evangalize and witness. If it's your gift, then by all means, go for it, but it's not mine.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:24 AM

7,789 posts, read 10,466,860 times
Quote:

That's not for you decide.

^ Oh yes, it is.

And here is something else that implies decision: That I or anyone else can decide to simply not listen and walk away. Which we do. ALOT. And why? --Because no one likes being told what they can and cannot do. No one likes feeling that their boundaries are being disrespected. No one likes feeling, as Steve_TN stated so well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
to shove my religion down people's throats...it is a huge turn off.
As further underscored by what Shana so accurately said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

many people are turned off by how some aggressively come at them.
So June's wondering what the real mission here is. To get people to listen to what you have to say? And if so, what is the most effective means by which to do that? So far this atheist is more inclined to listen to Shana and Steve. And why?

Because it's more respectful.

June tends to listen to those who do not regard her as a commodity. June tends to be more receptive to those who don't have any ego investment in her seeing it their way. June tends to be particularly receptive to those who are able to, who know how to capture her imagination by truly putting forth who and what Jesus was. Jesus didn't force himself on people. He didn't beat them over the head with a Bible (which yes, June realizes hadn't been written yet) and he didn't try and coerce. He didn't force people to do anything. He simply said:

"Follow me."

And people did.

Sometimes it's as simple as that.

Other times it's as simple as people like June just walking away. Or in some cases, in realizing that you've tried to come after her so strongly, she just flees. No mission accomplished there, as all you have proceeded to do is to once again reinforce the person's nonbelief...

And June's a very, very patient and receptive person.

If you want me to be receptive to you, you need to be receptive to me. It's all in the knowing of how to orchestrate "Follow me."

Take gentle witnessing care.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,731,772 times
june: you are so correct in your post here. We have to remember though that many folks came to Him simply to witness the healings He was performing. Others came to Him because of the one miracle that is still relevant and the most important today: His message of love. Blessings.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:03 AM

7,789 posts, read 10,466,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post

Others came to Him because of the one miracle that is still relevant and the most important today: His message of love.

-And June has the feeling that when people live that, others take notice.

If you "put the cart before the horse" nothing's moving. And June would think that "witnessing" is nothing if not a response to, and a desire to convey that "movement." At least that's what June suspects, but what would June really know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity