U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 PM

2,214 posts, read 4,994,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
There is no doubt that original Christianity taught the early christians to preach from House to House. Many mnisters will acknowledge this. However they will also tell you that if they taught such things in their churches , people would leave in droves. It's not what they want to hear. Most people believe it's the minister or missionary's job to go out in that kind of work. However what they ignore, is that every single Christian has that responsibility, not just a religious hierarchy.

Looking at the conduct of many claiming to be Christian, there is obviously a need for the preaching or teaching work to be accomplished. We've got two World Wars where 100s of millions paticipated in killing their fellow Christian, so apparently there is a need. We've got 10s of millions today who dable into politics and don't understand what being no part of the world is all about. So again there appears to be a need for proper teaching of what a Christian should conduct themselves and needs to do to be pleasing to God, because they are not being taught those Christain values and principles in the present existing Churches.

It's a sad waste really.
Exactly. And frankly,I'm not a Christian so that I can have my 'ears tickled' w/ what I want to hear. It's a command and we must do it whether we want to or not. The thing is, when you develop a close relationship w/ God through prayer, the desire to preach to others comes naturally. It's a matter of loyalty to God and Christ that I choose to teach others what hope is available through bible study. Without that hope, we have little else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Someone else already addressed this in another post. Of course they preached publicly and from house to house, it was new and no one had heard it before. There were no microphones, tv, telephones, cars, internet or any other modern conveniences to spread the gospel---it was the only way to do it!! Today it's too dangerous to do it, for one thing, and it always in my experience turns people off.

Let me ask you a question---have you been successful in converting anyone at all by door to door preaching? How many times have you had a door slammed in your face or someone curse at you? Is that really effective?
They preached publicly and from house to house because they knew it was a personal and effective way to reach people. They also wrote letters but not exclusively, of course. I am not personally affected by anyone spouting at me from the television. Email is effective but not everyone has or cares to have a computer.

I have been actively involved in a public preaching work from door to door and in other public places since I was a child. We do it safely, staying in groups, keeping orderly, and sticking to daylight hours. We conduct bible studies in homes only if accompanied by another person and by prior arrangment. Using these means, I have never known anyone to be physically harmed and have never felt afraid or in danger. You must use common sense, just as Jesus apostles did...and incidentally, they were in far more danger of being physically assaulted then than we are now.

Yes, I have been successful in converting ones by door to door preaching. I'm not going to give you a number since I don't want to come off as keeping a 'conversion scorecard'. It's a very effective means of reaching people and one that has been used for centuries. Keeping abreast of things, technologically speaking, is important-but nothing outweights the importance of person to person contact.

Our organization grown by leaps and bounds every year based on this means of teaching.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:59 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,038,325 times
Witnessing....there is a time to speak and a time to be silent... Be prayerful and let the Holy Spirit lead you into those times of divine appointment with another...

Let me share with you.... for year's I witness to my husband about the Love of Christ, sharing the word, telling him so many things...about Jesus, well it caused so much trouble in my marriage to the point of almost divorce. (and we did separate for a yr. during this time.)

Until one day the Holy Spirit had shaken my heart and showed me I was getting the cart before the horse... and this was a time to be silent and live it before him. Even in the word it tells us to live it before others...

1 Peter 3:1
Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear. Do not let your adornment be merely outward- arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel- rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

Now if there is anyone that a person would want to come to Jesus Christ is a woman who loves her husband, who is not saved!!! She will do everything to reach that heart... but the most difficult is to be silent and honor God in your life without speaking a word to that loved one......

I had to live this life as God had spoken to me, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord.... He told me do not speak, but live it...(witness)
But after a lot of years of honoring and obey my Father through only the power of His Holy Spirit, was I able to do this, last year my prayers were answered. My husband has given his life to Jesus Christ... a few Sundays ago, the Lord gave me the blessing of having our first communion together.....

So please be careful in thinking that we have to bombard every life with the gospel.... many times, though it maybe difficult, we are to be silent and we are to live the life Christ has given to us, before them....
One may do more damage to a soul... that God's Holy Spirit never intended to happen...

Blessings...

Old 10-10-2008, 02:45 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
You should at least witness to your non-believer husband or wife once, and then know when to be silent. That's a given.

But I just don't see how your wonderful story has anything to do with the "The Great Commission"

We are to go out into the world and tell people of the impending doom that awaits because they rejected the love of Christ. I think people forget how high the stakes are, it's called hell

Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,297,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
They preached publicly and from house to house because they knew it was a personal and effective way to reach people. They also wrote letters but not exclusively, of course. I am not personally affected by anyone spouting at me from the television. Email is effective but not everyone has or cares to have a computer.

I have been actively involved in a public preaching work from door to door and in other public places since I was a child. We do it safely, staying in groups, keeping orderly, and sticking to daylight hours. We conduct bible studies in homes only if accompanied by another person and by prior arrangment. Using these means, I have never known anyone to be physically harmed and have never felt afraid or in danger. You must use common sense, just as Jesus apostles did...and incidentally, they were in far more danger of being physically assaulted then than we are now.

Yes, I have been successful in converting ones by door to door preaching. I'm not going to give you a number since I don't want to come off as keeping a 'conversion scorecard'. It's a very effective means of reaching people and one that has been used for centuries. Keeping abreast of things, technologically speaking, is important-but nothing outweights the importance of person to person contact.

Our organization grown by leaps and bounds every year based on this means of teaching.
Thank you for answering my question. I'm really surprised to hear that, but mostly very thankful. You and your groups sound like you have a solid plan that works, which is highly unusual. I apologize for being so negative, it's just based on my own personal experiences.

But I would also like to plea to you and the op's reasonable sides and ask that you not be so condemning of those of us who are not called to this particular ministry. I know what the Bible says, but I also know what it says about different gifts. You must understand that simply knowing how to speak to people is a gift, regardless of the message?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:53 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,243,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post

Would you say that you and I are brothers and sisters in Christ and share the same salvation Christ died for?

You say you're a Christian and I say I'm a Christian, so would the message that you and I share be the same?

Am I a part of the same Christianity you claim to be a part of?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:57 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,812,679 times
Quote:
But I just don't see how your wonderful story has anything to do with the "The Great Commission"
Quote:

1 Peter 3:1
Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, when they observe your chaste conduct accompanied by fear. Do not let your adornment be merely outward- arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel- rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.
God bless.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you for answering my question. I'm really surprised to hear that, but mostly very thankful. You and your groups sound like you have a solid plan that works, which is highly unusual. I apologize for being so negative, it's just based on my own personal experiences.

But I would also like to plea to you and the op's reasonable sides and ask that you not be so condemning of those of us who are not called to this particular ministry. I know what the Bible says, but I also know what it says about different gifts. You must understand that simply knowing how to speak to people is a gift, regardless of the message?

I have looked back over my responses and I don't see where I was condemning of those not in this ministry? It's certainly not my place to condemn anyone. I do believe it is the resonsibility of every Christian to preach the message to others. However, the manner they choose to do it or the way they accept the admonition is entirely personal between they and their God.

Knowing how to speak to others can be learned by anyone. I certainly don't consider myself 'gifted'.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Would you say that you and I are brothers and sisters in Christ and share the same salvation Christ died for?

You say you're a Christian and I say I'm a Christian, so would the message that you and I share be the same?

Am I a part of the same Christianity you claim to be a part of?

I absolutely believe that we both can share the same salvation of Christ. He died for all sinful mankind, right?

I know you believe you are a Christian and I believe I am and I'm not certain if the message we share would be the same. Hopefully it would be since I believe there is only one truth as it's found in the bible.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:00 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Quote:

My friend, not all of us can face to face witness, open air preach etc.... You could at least give out gospel tracts. That's all a part of witnessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity