U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:02 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,046,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
You should at least witness to your non-believer husband or wife once, and then know when to be silent. That's a given.

But I just don't see how your wonderful story has anything to do with the "The Great Commission"

We are to go out into the world and tell people of the impending doom that awaits because they rejected the love of Christ. I think people forget how high the stakes are, it's called hell

I do hope and will pray that the Holy Spirit helps you to understand and to figure it out!!!

Blessings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,253,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I absolutely believe that we both can share the same salvation of Christ. He died for all sinful mankind, right?

I know you believe you are a Christian and I believe I am and I'm not certain if the message we share would be the same. Hopefully it would be since I believe there is only one truth as it's found in the bible.
I guess what I am asking, and I've never asked this before here or in real life I don't think, is this:

In your opinion, do I have to be a Jehovah's Witness to be saved?

Yes or No.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:06 PM

2,214 posts, read 4,998,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I guess what I am asking, and I've never asked this before here or in real life I don't think, is this:

In your opinion, do I have to be a Jehovah's Witness to be saved?

Yes or No.
That isnt for me to answer. Only God determined who receives the gift of salvation. Though I do believe the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses are in sync w/ the bible, I am not arrogant enough to claim that every baptized Jehovah's Witness is going to receive salvation. Just as I'm sure you don't agree that every member of your church is saved simply because they claim to be.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:08 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,456,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
I do hope and will pray that the Holy Spirit helps you to understand and to figure it out!!!

Blessings...
I hope the same for you as well and hope you are least witnessing to your family members. I have lost 8 in the last few years. 6 of them probably went to hell. How did our silence help them?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
That isnt for me to answer. Only God determined who receives the gift of salvation. Though I do believe the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses are in sync w/ the bible, I am not arrogant enough to claim that every baptized Jehovah's Witness is going to receive salvation. Just as I'm sure you don't agree that every member of your church is saved simply because they claim to be.
No, I realize that there's a lot of unsaved folks in the pews on Sunday mornings. I just didn't know if the Witnesses consider themselves the 'only way'. So they do believe there can be 'saved' folks outside of the Witnesses.....thanks for that info....I just had never thought to ask.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No, I realize that there's a lot of unsaved folks in the pews on Sunday mornings. I just didn't know if the Witnesses consider themselves the 'only way'. So they do believe there can be 'saved' folks outside of the Witnesses.....thanks for that info....I just had never thought to ask.
We do believe there is only one truth and one way (that being Christ, ultimately), but there are certainly those who have dedicated themselves to God and found that truth without our organization.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:25 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,046,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I hope the same for you as well and hope you are least witnessing to your family members. I have lost 8 in the last few years. 6 of them probably went to hell. How did our silence help them?
Is this what all this is about? I'm truly sorry that you lost so many in your life!!! It is a sad thing to happen! And because maybe you were silent about your testimony of Christ to these lives are you feeling maybe false guilt in your heart? I don't know.

But please do not include me in on your statement of "How did our silence help them". Because I do not know the people in your life!

Yes, All my family knows my faith and respects it very, very much!!! And yes I have witness to many individuals in my life and I do believe they are in hell right now....because of their choices, not mine and it has nothing to do with me! But God.... and that individual.

You can not make such a statement that other's and I are not witnessing to the people in and around our lives....You have no idea about us and our walk with the Lord Jesus......that is a very dangerous thing to do.... please listen to what you are saying!!!

Because it definitely is not of our Lord Jesus Christ.....

Old 10-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
We do believe there is only one truth and one way (that being Christ, ultimately), but there are certainly those who have dedicated themselves to God and found that truth without our organization.
We agree on this....well....except I would have capped the One Truth and One Way, but I know what ya meant

Thanks alicenevada.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 AM

810 posts, read 1,259,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Someone else already addressed this in another post. Of course they preached publicly and from house to house, it was new and no one had heard it before. There were no microphones, tv, telephones, cars, internet or any other modern conveniences to spread the gospel---it was the only way to do it!! Today it's too dangerous to do it, for one thing, and it always in my experience turns people off.

Let me ask you a question---have you been successful in converting anyone at all by door to door preaching? How many times have you had a door slammed in your face or someone curse at you? Is that really effective?
This weekend my sister, a Jehovah's witness who does preach house to house, told me about something that happened this Saturday. I thought about this thread...

A few months ago she stopped at a house and spoke briefly with a woman who had some questions about trusting the bible. After leaving with the assurance that she'd come back, my sister wrote her a letter addressing her quesion. This Saturday she went back to the woman's house and the woman said, "You were here a few months ago and your the one that sent me the letter! I read your letter all the time and it brings me comfort." At that she went and got her letter. She was in her pajamas and said she hadn't brushed her teeth yet, but she didn't want my sister to go. They spoke more and exchanged phone numbers.

So even though you may have some doors slammed in your face, it is worth it because you do find ones who are sincerely seeking answers.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
This weekend my sister, a Jehovah's witness who does preach house to house, told me about something that happened this Saturday. I thought about this thread...

A few months ago she stopped at a house and spoke briefly with a woman who had some questions about trusting the bible. After leaving with the assurance that she'd come back, my sister wrote her a letter addressing her quesion. This Saturday she went back to the woman's house and the woman said, "You were here a few months ago and your the one that sent me the letter! I read your letter all the time and it brings me comfort." At that she went and got her letter. She was in her pajamas and said she hadn't brushed her teeth yet, but she didn't want my sister to go. They spoke more and exchanged phone numbers.

So even though you may have some doors slammed in your face, it is worth it because you do find ones who are sincerely seeking answers.

As you know, I'm in the same ministry. And contrary to popular opinion, I very rarely have doors slammed in my face. Most people are willing to chat if nothing else and nearly all admire our work even if they don't agree w/ our beliefs.

Once, in Memphis, I called on a person who was extremely opposed to Jehovah's Witnesses-almost violently. She cussed at me , told me I was brainwashed (I was a young teenager at the time), and told me that I was going to hell for propagating such lies. I remember this, obviously, because it was an extreme situation and I'd never been talked to that way before. Years later, her sister died in a car accident. I didnt intend to call on this lady again (usually, if someone is violently opposed, we will make a note on the territory card that they should not be called on) but someone else did and her attitude had entirely changed. She thanked the lady for coming, asked for some comfort from the scriptures about death, and told her to tell me how sorry she was for how she had treated me years ago. She is now a baptized member of our organization living in another state.

Not everyone converts but it is so encouraging when someone hears the 'ring of truth' in our message and decides to push through their opposition and learn more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity