Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:35 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,538,007 times

Advertisements

(Matthew 28:19-20)

“Great Commission”:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Jesus gave this command to the Apostles shortly before He ascended into Heaven, and it essentially outlines what Jesus expected the Apostles, and those who followed them, to do in His absence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM

352 posts, read 551,918 times
The most common reasons Christians won't spread the message is because they are afraid to offend people and cause trouble; they're afraid of making a mistake because they don't know the Word as well as some people, and also because some Christians, who claim to follow Christ, simply don't care because they are lost in their own little world.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,518,154 times
It depends on what your viewpoint of witnessing is.

I traveled to Tijuana, Mexico every summer to build houses through a Church out there. I consider that witnessing.

I, however, do not think that the first time you meet someone on a bus in America is the time to start trying to tell someone what they should or should not believe. Who are you to think that they are not already a Christian, I have met quite a few Christians who are offended by people who start trying to witness to them without having any knowledge of who they are.

Example: Sit down next to someone and say "So, do you think you are a good person".

I think Christians need to be a lot more creative in this day and age when they try to bring someone to Christ in the States. People look at the typical witnessing lines as similar to bad pick up lines.

I think that the best way to witness to someone is to be friends with them for a long time, get to know them, let them get to know you. Most people start asking questions, so you don't have to be agressive and completely turn them off to Christianity.

The point is to bring people to Christ, not to turn them off.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM

14,743 posts, read 17,072,229 times
Good points, Miss Martha. God bless.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,111,500 times
In my job, which is that of a chaplain, I work with homeless men. These guys have been drug dealers, alcoholics, etc., and I have an opportunity to witness to them with words and with actions. I have to be sensitive yet remember that everything I say and do is a reflection of who I am in Christ. If it wasn't for Him, I wouldn't be able to do it, believe me.

My wife and I also one day hope to have a music ministry outreach so we can touch lives in that way.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
(Matthew 28:19-20)

“Great Commission”:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Jesus gave this command to the Apostles shortly before He ascended into Heaven, and it essentially outlines what Jesus expected the Apostles, and those who followed them, to do in His absence.
That's not one of my "gifts". I don't deal well with other people. Besides, why should I question their beliefs? If they are meant to come to the Lord, they will SEEK Him out.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:17 PM

[quote][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
It depends on what your viewpoint of witnessing is.
I traveled to Tijuana, Mexico every summer to build houses through a Church out there. I consider that witnessing.
Do you witness to them?

Quote:
I, however, do not think that the first time you meet someone on a bus in America is the time to start trying to tell someone what they should or should not believe.
Example: Sit down next to someone and say "So, do you think you are a good person".
Did not Jesus do that with the woman at the well. How do you know its not that person's last day on earth.

(John 4:10) Jesus answered her, ‘You do not know the gift of God. You do not know who asks you for water. If you did, you could ask me. I would give you living water’.

Quote:
I have met quite a few Christians who are offended by people who start trying to witness to them without having any knowledge of who they are.
I am not a mind reader I just do as my God commands.
WOW! I can't believe a true Christian would be offended if someone tried to witness to them. I would be ecstatic and encourage them.

Quote:
I think Christians need to be a lot more creative in this day and age when they try to bring someone to Christ in the States. People look at the typical witnessing lines as similar to bad pick up lines.
I agree and Paul said, the same BUT if Paul did it and had it WAY HARDER than we did. Christianity didn't even exist. Paul telling people our God was "crucified" how repugnant. Crucifixion was for the lowest of lows. It is still the same message.

Quote:
I think that the best way to witness to someone is to be friends with them for a long time, get to know them, let them get to know you. Most people start asking questions, so you don't have to be agressive and completely turn them off to Christianity. The point is to bring people to Christ, not to turn them off.
I have had 6 friends die on me, not to mention an uncle, father, aunt, 3 grandparents, a couple cousins. That's a huge risk you are taking

Old 10-09-2008, 03:21 PM

14,743 posts, read 17,072,229 times
I believe that bringing others to Christ can be the result of many experiences with people who witness in their own way. For example, my mother's example of faith was a witness that planted seeds in my heart although she never said to me, "This is what you need to do to become a Christian." I saw her faith growing up and that never left me. Christian friends and relationships had a positive influence although they may have never quoted scriptures to me, in addition to a minister's sermons. Seeing a group classmates in junior high school get up and walk out of a program which they felt dishonored God was powerful witness to me. I read many books by believers growing up including poetry which were a powerful witness in some way, Seeing how people treated other people had an influence. I believe that we can witness in many ways and that God will use this to bring about His purposes. He is holding the ropes. I believe that we can plant the seeds, but God causes the growth. I do think that many people are turned off by how some aggressively come at them. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 10-09-2008 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that bringing others to Christ can be the result of many experiences with people who witness in their own way. For example, my mother's example of faith was a witness that planted seeds in my heart although she never said to me, "This is what you need to do to become a Christian." I saw her faith growing up and that never left me. Christian friends and relationships had a positive influence although they may have never quoted scriptures to me, in addition to a minister's sermons. Seeing a group classmates in junior high school get up and walk out of a program which they felt dishonored God was powerful witness to me. I read many books by believers growing up including poetry which were a powerful witness in some way, so Seeing how people treated other people had an influence. I believe that we can witness in many ways and that God will use this to bring about His purposes. I believe that we plant the seeds, but God causes the growth. I do think that many people are turned off by how some aggressively come at them. God bless.
I hear ya but we are very fortunate in this country. We have religious freedom. If women in New Dehli pass out Gospel tracts. Why can't we? Are we afraid that our little feeling might get hurt because they might reject us and heavens forbid, call us "Bible thumpers" or "jesus freaks"

Paul went through worse. He faced a imprisonment, a beating even death and he had a monumental task. Yet we Christians cannot pass out a simple gospel tract?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:44 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,606,425 times
I spread God's word through my actions. I choose not to do it by trying to shove my religion down people's throats. That, for me, is not an effective method of spreading God's word and it is a huge turn off. However, if someone approaches me with questions regarding religion and Christianity, I am more than happy to share God's word with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity