Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times

Advertisements

I was curious is sexual abuse of a child against The Bible?

I know people get enraged and point fingers at homosexuals but was there anything about sexual perversions regarding children or pedophiles, it seems to go vastly ignored with Christianity. You don't hear much shaming about that, but you hear a lot of shaming and belittling of homosexuals. Your thoughts on that.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 PM

190 posts, read 882,310 times
Ive found a couple of verses based on child abuse

Gen 37:12-36
1 King 3:16-27
Isaiah 13:16
Ezekiel 9:6
Matthew 2:13-18
Joel 3:3

Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 PM

Those quotes really didn't say anything explicit.
We all know child abuse and especially child sexual abuse is pure evil but why isn't that made clear and obvious in the bible?

Old 10-10-2008, 03:54 PM

353 posts, read 905,628 times
Common sense?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:36 PM

LOL ya but murder isn't common sense..........ugh ok.
Don't forget Jonah and The Whale everybody...that story wasn't common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Common sense?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 PM

348 posts, read 502,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

I know people get enraged and point fingers at homosexuals but was there anything about sexual perversions regarding children or pedophiles, it seems to go vastly ignored with Christianity. You don't hear much shaming about that, but you hear a lot of shaming and belittling of homosexuals. Your thoughts on that.....
I grew up in a highly-respected Christian family, one where the motto "spare the rod and spoil the child' was often acted on.

I believe this sour bit of parental guidance comes from somewhere in the bible - does this qualify as child abuse?

Once, when my father lost his temper with me, I was left striped with black and blue welts from my shoulders to my calves (I was about 11 at the time). My mother was very concerned that I should not strip for games at school for a few weeks after that lest my condition be spotted, not until the bruised had healed, anyway.

So acting on Biblical advice when bringing up children is obviously fraught with danger - beating children is never a good thing - but in this case it actually led to breaking the law of the land.

Years later, my elder sister, by then a social-worker and ex-nurse, referred to the incident, which she had witnessed and never forgotten, when nursing my mother in her final illness. My mother's reaction was strange - could the authorities still turn up to question her, she worried! (she was 91).

Yet, in the small law-abiding village where I grew up, where my father was a devout and popular lay-preacher, this small tragedy went unnoticed, although my treatment was rather more extreme than was common.

Strange to think that my God-fearing parents would, these days, have a criminal record for child abuse, but they could always blame the bible for it, I suppose...

Forgiveness? that word has no meaning for me.

Last edited by brianrees; 10-19-2008 at 07:28 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 10:44 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
I grew up in a highly-respected Christian family, one where the motto "spare the rod and spoil the child' was often acted on.

I believe this sour bit of parental guidance comes from somewhere in the bible - does this qualify as child abuse?

Once, when my father lost his temper with me, I was left striped with black and blue welts from my shoulders to my calves (I was about 11 at the time). My mother was very concerned that I should not strip for games at school for a few weeks after that lest my condition be spotted, not until the bruised had healed, anyway.

So acting on Biblical advice when bringing up children is obviously fraught with danger - beating children is never a good thing - but in this case it actually led to breaking the law of the land.

Years later, my elder sister, by then a social-worker and ex-nurse, referred to the incident, which she had witnessed and never forgotten, when nursing my mother in her final illness. My mother's reaction was strange - could the authorities still turn up to question her, she worried! (she was 91).

Yet, in the small law-abiding village where I grew up, where my father was a devout and popular lay-preacher, this small tragedy went unnoticed, although my treatment was rather more extreme than was common.

Strange to think that my God-fearing parents would, these days, have a criminal record for child abuse, but they could always blame the bible for it, I suppose...

Forgiveness? that word has no meaning for me.

I am sorry you had such a trumatic experience as a child. It will probably surprise you to know "Spare the rod and spoil the child", is NOT a Bible passage. I believe what you are referring to is
Proverbs 13:24
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.
Please note the phrase "careful to discipline him". The word careful not only precludes abuse it also involves timing. Do not discipline when you are angry or in front of peers. There is a proper time and place. In private, after you have calmed down. There is a world of difference between abuse and discipline. There is a lot more on this subject but it will become a 45 min sermon. I'll save that for church.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

dear sweet artsyguy,...

God does NOT condone any kind of abuse of a child.

It is certainly a shameful thing for anyone to mistreat a child in anyway and anyone who abuses a child will be judged for it.

But you, O God, do see trouble and grief;
you consider it to take it in hand.
The victim commits himself to you;
you are the helper of the fatherless.

Psalm 10

Old 10-19-2008, 11:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Ive found a couple of verses based on child abuse

Gen 37:12-36
1 King 3:16-27
Isaiah 13:16
Ezekiel 9:6
Matthew 2:13-18
Joel 3:3
read the citations, killing kids and selling them into slavery is in fact abuse but not sexual abuse.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
The guys who wrote the bible books lived in a time when children were chattel, so, for example, children were told to "honor" their parents but parents weren't told to honor their children.

It's only in the 20th Century, and only in industrialized cultures, that children began to be considered, officially, something other than possessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity