U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM
 
1 posts, read 974 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Traditions,customs and old saying is keeping a lot of us from seeing the truth have you ever heard anything a catholic church being metioned in the bible , who is the pope, what does he represent not Jesus for sure no humankind could ever be a represntation of Jesus, Jesus said I will go and prepare a place for you and he will be returning one day yo take us all to that place. read your bible properly and stop being brainwashed by mankind and their traditions , customs and old saying.

 
Old 11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 5,049,619 times
Reputation: 957
twin.spin,

Matthew 16:22--Peter rejects the possibility that Jesus' messiahship could involve suffering.

Matthew 16:23--Peter's attitude is rebuked sharply as coming from Satan, as a stumbling block in Jesus' way, and as purely human thinking.

Jesus is not calling Peter "Satan." It is his attitude. Jesus knew he had to suffer and die to save mankind from eternal damnation.

Peter the Rock (This Rock: November 1998)

....the structure of the three statements required Peter to be the rock. Each statement consisted of two parts: first a basic declaration and then a longer explanation which unpacked the meaning of the declaration. (The explanations also had two parts, an assertion followed by a contrast, but this need not detain us since it does not affect the fact that Peter is the rock.) Jesusí first statement, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona!" is explained by "for flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but my Father who is in heaven." This is a reason why Simon is blessed. The third statement, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven" is explained by Jesusí remarks on binding and loosing. The power to bind and loose is part of what it means to have the keys to the kingdom. That being the case, the second statement, "And I tell you, you are Peter" is explained by "and on this rock I will build my Church."
 
Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
 
Location: All around the world.....
2,886 posts, read 7,360,729 times
Reputation: 1044
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I suppose a claim could also be made for Eastern Orthodoxy, but by all accounts, in RCIA we are taught that even though we should respect the views of our protestant brethren, they are of lesser status in terms of how to be faithful to Jesus. The teaching is that protestant Christians are inferior to Catholics. I myself do not like such a title, 'inferior', but I suppose it makes sense when you think about it. The Catholic Church is the Church as Jesus intended it to be, while the protestant religions have 'watered down' in a sense what it means to be Christian, and have even warped many of the views.

Are you sure??
 
Old 11-11-2008, 06:09 PM
 
116 posts, read 277,856 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Prots did this too

Not the only group guilty of this

Once again, protestant churches are guilty of all of these except the last one.

Once again, protestant churches are guilty of this.

And the "Crystal Cathedral" is any different? Or hows about the other buildings that the Televangelists erect in their own honor?

Ok, not seeing your point on that one...plenty of religious leaders and 'higher ups' have involved themselves in politics.


I can make the same case for MANY other denominations.
I don't think the point was to say that other denominations are superior to Catholicism...I think the point was to say that Catholicism cannot be superior to others because of these, and many more, examples.
 
Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,580,235 times
Reputation: 487
This whole thread epitomizes the very thing that makes me not want to have anything to do with ANY church. There's simply too much disagreement and divisions within Christianity.
 
Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,092,319 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
I have checked my history books. Jesus DID NOT establish the Catholic church. He established the Christian Congregation. The Christian Congregation was adverse to any connection between Church and State. They were 'no part of the world'. Peter agreed with Jesus. And Jesus was the Rock. Therefore, any teachings that are in contradiction to the teachings of Christ cannot be truth.

I was very intrigued by what the Catholic Encyclopedia itself has to say about the cloudy beginnings of the church and its doctrines.
The first followers of Christ were faithful Jews as Jesus was himself, it really wasn't till they were rejected by the Jewish community that the first signs of a looosely connected Christian community came about.
By the end of the first century the primitive church had all the elements associated with the Catholic Church: a hierarchical structure, a rule of faith, apostolic succession and the sacraments.

You are free to draw your own conclusion on how the early church evolved over time, it certainly did not happen overnight.
 
Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,092,319 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I suppose a claim could also be made for Eastern Orthodoxy, but by all accounts, in RCIA we are taught that even though we should respect the views of our protestant brethren, they are of lesser status in terms of how to be faithful to Jesus. The teaching is that protestant Christians are inferior to Catholics. I myself do not like such a title, 'inferior', but I suppose it makes sense when you think about it. The Catholic Church is the Church as Jesus intended it to be, while the protestant religions have 'watered down' in a sense what it means to be Christian, and have even warped many of the views.
I think your understanding and wording on what the Church says is a little off.
 
Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,092,319 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I don't like your line of thinking, as it follows in line with the 'watered down' Catholics we have been talking about, or Catholics who try to conform to the secular world we live in today. Catholicism has strict views on just about every issue, and to me it seems if you want to be a member of the Church, you should strictly follow those views to the best of your abilities. Maybe Catholicism isn't for you.

I think as a convert, I have an easier time accepting these views because I WANT to be a Catholic, and as a conservative my entire life I have always been attracted to rigid beliefs and thinking. I dislike the cushy lee-way of many modern Christians, where everything is in a gray area and everything should be challenged.

Catholicism has held it's beliefs for millenniums and for that reason alone I support them more than anything.
"Catholicism has held it's beliefs for millenniums "
Not really
 
Old 11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,092,319 times
Reputation: 2652
CPG35223 said "Oh, sure, there is the rare Protestant clergy who buggers a choir boy"

Baptist Hide & Seek

Ever wonder why there are so many stories about child-molesting priests and not many about child-molesting Baptist ministers? It's not because there are less predatory clergy among Baptists. It's because there are easier hiding places among Baptists. "It's harder to track down sexual abuse allegations involving children in Protestant denominations."

Baptist scholars confirm this: "The problem of clergy sexual abuse is not just a Catholic issue...Studies have shown no difference in its frequency by denomination, region, theology, or institutional structure." But while Catholics and most mainline Protestant denominations have developed national policies to deal with the problem, "decentralized denominations such as the Southern Baptist Convention...have no national policies" and "sexual misconduct is routinely covered up in these settings." Trull & Carter, Ministerial Ethics at p. 162 (2d ed. 2004).
 
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,452,521 times
Reputation: 934
Is the Catholic church the only true, superior Church?

No. Now who is selling this propaganda to you? And more importantly, why are you buying it?

Do tell.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top