Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 10:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

isaiah 64:6
god is not overly impressed with our demonstion of church. i will be getting my asbestos suit into layaway this month.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:47 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Is the Catholic church the only true, superior Church?

No. Now who is selling this propaganda to you? And more importantly, why are you buying it?

Do tell.........
I sure hope you are not talking to me.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 PM

I think there are many misconceptions about the Catholic Church today, many statements I hear made by both Catholic and non Catholic apply to the pre Vatican II Church. Much has changed since then.
Vatican II has been seen by many as “the end of the Counter-Reformation,” “the end of the Constantinian era,”

Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 AM

396 posts, read 837,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I think there are many misconceptions about the Catholic Church today, many statements I hear made by both Catholic and non Catholic apply to the pre Vatican II Church. Much has changed since then.
Vatican II has been seen by many as “the end of the Counter-Reformation,” “the end of the Constantinian era,”
Things have changed and are changing with the new Pope as well.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 AM

I think to often when people look at the the Church they fail to see it in the context of history, you just can't take it out of that context as if the Church existed in a vacuum.
There were long periods of time where the Church existed in a world that was very uncivilized, there were no civil government, at times the Church was forced to act as the civil government.
There were invading barbarian armies etc. they did not call it the "Dark Age" for nothing. There were a whole system of small "Feudal States". At times the Church was dependent on them for protection, this led to mixing of religion and politics. At times the Church controlled the states other times the states controlled the Church. Many of the abuses existed because of the reliance on each other.
There were popes that try to reform the system in those days to do away with the influence of those outside the Church, as good intentions as they were it did introduce other problems into the Church.
But at the end of the day imperfect that it is the Catholic Church still stands and still proclaims the message of the Gospel.

Last edited by ted08721; 11-12-2008 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,751,522 times
Default bibleortraditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I suppose a claim could also be made for Eastern Orthodoxy, but by all accounts, in RCIA we are taught that even though we should respect the views of our protestant brethren, they are of lesser status in terms of how to be faithful to Jesus. The teaching is that protestant Christians are inferior to Catholics. I myself do not like such a title, 'inferior', but I suppose it makes sense when you think about it. The Catholic Church is the Church as Jesus intended it to be, while the protestant religions have 'watered down' in a sense what it means to be Christian, and have even warped many of the views.

Greetings to you, I have found something very interesting on the website that may shed some light on my relation and some of your answers to your questions.
www.bibleortraditions .com

Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Things have changed and are changing with the new Pope as well.
Not being an RC - my impressions are the pope wishes to take the church back to PRE Vatican II? Or is the extent to expand on vatican II?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Not being an RC - my impressions are the pope wishes to take the church back to PRE Vatican II? Or is the extent to expand on vatican II?
Much to my dismay John Paul II started the march backwards in time, our new pope is continuing that course. For us that started our faith journey in the pre Vatican II Church are very sadden, we do not want to go back down the path from which we came .

Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I think to often when people look at the the Church they fail to see it in the context of history, you just can't take it out of that context as if the Church existed in a vacuum.
There were long periods of time where the Church existed in a world that was very uncivilized, there were no civil government, at times the Church was forced to act as the civil government.
There were invading barbarian armies etc. they did not call it the "Dark Age" for nothing. There were a whole system of small "Feudal States". At times the Church was dependent on them for protection, this led to mixing of religion and politics. At times the Church controlled the states other times the states controlled the Church. Many of the abuses existed because of the reliance on each other.
There were popes that try to reform the system in those days to do away with the influence of those outside the Church, as good intentions as they were it did introduce other problems into the Church.
But at the end of the day imperfect that it is the Catholic Church still stands and still proclaims the message of the Gospel.
And what is that message of the gospel that the Catholic Church proclaims?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:53 PM

396 posts, read 837,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
He's definitely trying to take things back in time to pre-Vatican II. JPII opened up a whole lot of talks with protestants and did quite a bit of other things that some people don't like. Some people say that JPII was a horrible Pope and was detrimental to RC. Most of them are usually old school or those that insist that the Latin Mass is the only Mass, etc. I personally rather enjoy knowing what I'm saying and hearing (the English).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity