U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,100,301 times

Advertisements

Actually, I believe it's a lot worse to be praying to the dead then committing adultery.

Committing adultery you would be sinning against your spouse and God.

Praying to the dead will be a direct insult to God.
That is why it is the 1st commandment of the 10 commandments

Thou shalt have no other gods before me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
"Prayer to the Dead is AGAINST God's law.

Adultery is AGAINST God's law.
If King David did it...it doesn't make it right"

So now you are comparing prayers for the dead with ADULTERY?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 PM

4,368 posts, read 4,093,265 times
yes there is a physical death, but not a spiritual one

Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 PM

I was going to bring up that verse.

God is not the God of the dead...but of the living.

Mary is dead
Jude is dead
Peter is dead
Paul is dead
John is dead
etc

there's only one who is not dead ....and was resurrected on the third day!

JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Quote:
It is written that God is the God of the living not the dead, we believe in the communion of saints.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Actually, I believe it's a lot worse to be praying to the dead then committing adultery.

First off we have not been talking about adultry, why do you bring it up? is there something bothering you about it? I pass no judgement on you.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 PM

I guess you dont see the points

Just because someone is 'doing something' doesnt make it 'right'

Praying to the dead is witchcraft

I pray to Jesus who is alive, and sitting on the right hand throne of the Heavenly Father.

Mary, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Jude, etc are dead and they will rise when Jesus returns.

Quote:
First off we have not been talking about adultry, why do you bring it up? is there something bothering you about it? I pass no judgement on you.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I guess you dont see the points

Just because someone is 'doing something' doesnt make it 'right'

Praying to the dead is witchcraft

I pray to Jesus who is alive, and sitting on the right hand throne of the Heavenly Father.

Mary, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Jude, etc are dead and they will rise when Jesus returns.
I'm back Yes i do see your points, believe it or not I can step outside of where I am and see your viewpoint and if I was raised in your shoes I might think as you do. BTW I do not see eye to eye with all of my Church's teachings, doctrines etc. I have been called a heretic by some members of my Church, some have even invited me to leave but you and I are still far apart on most matters.
Also I have a confession to make to you, I was actually poking fun at you about the Novena to St. Jude I realise it went above your head not knowing about St. Jude, but he is the patron saint of hopeless causes so in fact what i was saying was Ren= hopeless cause, so I will apoligise for that.
You did come into this thread like someone walking into a bar looking for a fight. I really do not wish to fight and argue with you and throw scripture back and forth. I only ask that you meet me half way. I would like to see what we have in common, do you celebrate Christmas, go to church on that day? Have a Christmas tree get together with family and friends?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM

I don't know if many people realise it or not but Christmas itself was brought to everyone by the Catholic Church, as recently as the later part of the 19th century Christmas was banned from such cities as Boston, at least as an official holiday. America might have been a christian country but certainly not Catholic. Even in 1960 many were afraid to vote for a catholic for the presidency (JFK) people feared that he would be a puppet of Rome.
Many of the elite country clubs would not allow catholics to be members. Not that it really matter to most catholics who were sons and daughters of poor imigrant parents living in the cities, that were known as the "catholic getto"

Last edited by ted08721; 11-20-2008 at 09:41 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,284,791 times
Quote:

Episcopalians (Church of England) pray to the dead and they are Protestants. It's not just a Catholic thing.

How the Episcopal Church Teaches the Catholic Faith

Besides, since Catholic believe in Purgatory, they are hoping and praying their stay there is short.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Episcopalians (Church of England) pray to the dead and they are Protestants. It's not just a Catholic thing.

How the Episcopal Church Teaches the Catholic Faith (http://www.gracechurchinnewark.org/legemcredendi.htm - broken link)

Besides, since Catholic believe in Purgatory, they are hoping and praying their stay there is short.
I may be on thin ice here but I thought the churches of the Anglecan Communion which includes the Episcopalians are not considered Protestants.
That they are part of the England reform movement vs Protestants are considered the German reform movement.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM

Episcopalians are a Sacramental Church unlike Protestant Churches, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity