U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,969,077 times
Reputation: 971

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
The Catholic church can also be credited for other things as well. Do you like music? Thank the Catholic church for polyphony. Thank the church for sponsoring musicians. You like Easter? Thank the Catholic Church. Your specific denomination? Thank the Catholic Church. Why on that last one? Well, since everyone seems to have split from the Catholics to begin with, you'd better thank the Catholics. Are Catholics superior? Nah (yes, this is a Catholic saying this). Whatever brand of religion floats your boat is superior...to you that is. Now, one last time I'm going to say this, knock off with the bashing. And I'm speaking to everyone. What kind of Christians are we to sit here and bash each other? I've seen more Mormon and Catholic bashing here than I've seen patients in the past week at work (and trust me, I've been busy...very busy). Not only that, but I've seen quite a few Catholics bashing Protestants. I'm tired of it. If this is what this site is turning into, then I'm done with it.
I urge you to hang in there with the few papist left on this forum.
We need you.
Don't think it's just we Catholics that get bashed.
This is an equal bashing forum. (I try my best not to partake.)
Let's all continue to find common ground.

 
Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
396 posts, read 732,036 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I urge you to hang in there with the few papist left on this forum.
We need you.
Don't think it's just we Catholics that get bashed.
This is an equal bashing forum. (I try my best not to partake.)
Let's all continue to find common ground.
I've seen that it's not just us Catholics that get bashed. It's the Mormons and the Gays and the JW's, etc. My massage therapist (and now good friend) is a Mormon. My old pastor in college (as I attended a Methodist Church my Freshman year since it was closer than the Catholic Church) was defrocked for being a lesbian. Some of my closest friends and co-workers through the years are gay and lesbian. Some of my co-workers were atheists. My immediate family is Catholic. My extended family go to various churches including "Bible Thumping" churches. I wrote one post last night before leaving for work. I didn't get to log onto my computer until like 02:00 this morning...and saw that there were like 4 pages of bashing and arguments between the same few people. It's getting absolutely disgusting. I have someone tell me that my posts are abusive and bashing, but yet these others aren't? And yes, I reported a few of them. It's getting old. It's getting petty. And frankly, I've about had it with people telling me that me and my friends and family are going to hell for what they believe or who they are. I guess I'm just tired of it and waiting for someone to show me something new and different.
 
Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,969,077 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
I've seen that it's not just us Catholics that get bashed. It's the Mormons and the Gays and the JW's, etc. My massage therapist (and now good friend) is a Mormon. My old pastor in college (as I attended a Methodist Church my Freshman year since it was closer than the Catholic Church) was defrocked for being a lesbian. Some of my closest friends and co-workers through the years are gay and lesbian. Some of my co-workers were atheists. My immediate family is Catholic. My extended family go to various churches including "Bible Thumping" churches. I wrote one post last night before leaving for work. I didn't get to log onto my computer until like 02:00 this morning...and saw that there were like 4 pages of bashing and arguments between the same few people. It's getting absolutely disgusting. I have someone tell me that my posts are abusive and bashing, but yet these others aren't? And yes, I reported a few of them. It's getting old. It's getting petty. And frankly, I've about had it with people telling me that me and my friends and family are going to hell for what they believe or who they are. I guess I'm just tired of it and waiting for someone to show me something new and different.
Your religious experience sounds similar to mine.
I too can find spiritual edification in many forms.
From the inner city rockin baptist mega church, to the austere benedictine monastary, my soul is enriched by people that worship the author of love.
I actually attended a vegetarian lecture the other night, and had a profound dicussion afterwards with the lecturer who taught me about respect and love for all of creation.
He didn't convert me yet, I still lust for a juicy rib eye now and then, but I'm workin on it.
I try to listen for love, within the cacophony of this forum.
 
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,261,209 times
Reputation: 194
The title of this thread is "Is the Catholic Church the only true, superior church?". Hmmmmm.

They asked I answered with my opinion and some historical facts.

Music, seriously? I thought music was around long before the church. My bad.

Easter? Another holiday diluted with pagan traditions. Bunnies and eggs? What does that have to do with Jesus' death?

My faith follows the footsteps of Jesus. My faith is as close to the first century Christians not the 4th century and beyond Catholic Church. I think the church tried to be a religious monopoly and likes to claim that they cornered the market. It's obvious that not all people agreed with the Catholic church's teachings-many people died because they didn't conform to the church. Not everyone agreed with what the Catholic church did to Jesus' teachings when it became a state religion in Rome. Many people opposed the Catholic church from the beginning. I don't think that ALL other Christian denominations sprang from them.

Is it bashing to point out the hypocracies of a church that claims to be the superior church?
 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,969,077 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
The title of this thread is "Is the Catholic Church the only true, superior church?". Hmmmmm.

They asked I answered with my opinion and some historical facts.

Music, seriously? I thought music was around long before the church. My bad.

Easter? Another holiday diluted with pagan traditions. Bunnies and eggs? What does that have to do with Jesus' death?

My faith follows the footsteps of Jesus. My faith is as close to the first century Christians not the 4th century and beyond Catholic Church. I think the church tried to be a religious monopoly and likes to claim that they cornered the market. It's obvious that not all people agreed with the Catholic church's teachings-many people died because they didn't conform to the church. Not everyone agreed with what the Catholic church did to Jesus' teachings when it became a state religion in Rome. Many people opposed the Catholic church from the beginning. I don't think that ALL other Christian denominations sprang from them.

Is it bashing to point out the hypocracies of a church that claims to be the superior church?


Ok now Morale Officer,

Take a deep breath.....smile.....think of nice things..
 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
396 posts, read 732,036 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
The title of this thread is "Is the Catholic Church the only true, superior church?". Hmmmmm.

They asked I answered with my opinion and some historical facts.

Music, seriously? I thought music was around long before the church. My bad.

Easter? Another holiday diluted with pagan traditions. Bunnies and eggs? What does that have to do with Jesus' death?

My faith follows the footsteps of Jesus. My faith is as close to the first century Christians not the 4th century and beyond Catholic Church. I think the church tried to be a religious monopoly and likes to claim that they cornered the market. It's obvious that not all people agreed with the Catholic church's teachings-many people died because they didn't conform to the church. Not everyone agreed with what the Catholic church did to Jesus' teachings when it became a state religion in Rome. Many people opposed the Catholic church from the beginning. I don't think that ALL other Christian denominations sprang from them.

Is it bashing to point out the hypocracies of a church that claims to be the superior church?
Yes, Music. I was a Music Education Major my first time in college. Polyphony was almost nixed. Yes, music was around for a long time before even Moses, but the Polyphonic music we have today actually stemmed from the monophonic music...all of this basically started in the Catholic Church. Where did it start? More than likely a Monk who couldn't find the pitch he was given.
As for the "Diluted pagan" stuff...well, in order to get more people to convert, they did some incorporation.
As for bunnies and eggs? Ok, first, look up the history of the Easter Egg. As for the bunnies...that's beyond me other than saying it's a comercialization thing.
If your faith follows the first century Christians, than I sure hope you follow Jewish law since the first Christians were Jews.
Every Christian on this forum seems to think that their church is a superior church - including you from what you've posted, so the point is moot. You want hipocrites? Look around (myself included)(and you'd better look in a mirror as well). Look at every single Christian denomination and church in the world. It's getting old...real old...and this forum is doing nothing but convince me that the world is definitely going to hell in a handbasket and fast. Heaven help our kids, 'cause if this is the kind of stuff we're teaching them, then we're all damned.

Last edited by Morale Officer; 11-21-2008 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: I thought about a few nice things...Easter Bunnies, Santa Clause, Easter Eggs...
 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,118,870 times
Reputation: 1008
Please pay attention to the posts.

Just because a church does it does not make it RIGHT

Some anglican churches allow gay marriage....does it make it right?

NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Episcopalians (Church of England) pray to the dead and they are Protestants. It's not just a Catholic thing.

How the Episcopal Church Teaches the Catholic Faith (http://www.gracechurchinnewark.org/legemcredendi.htm - broken link)

Besides, since Catholic believe in Purgatory, they are hoping and praying their stay there is short.
 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,261,209 times
Reputation: 194
No Really, I mean no disrespect to you individually...I may be sarcastic at times...I'm working on that

You say we should find common ground. Is THAT what this forum is for? Was it/is it ok for Christians to compromise their beliefs and the teachings of Jesus to find common ground with pagan religions?
 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,118,870 times
Reputation: 1008
another lie

You know that Early Christians didnt require Gentiles to do the same thing they did.

That's in the book of Acts and other letters written by Paul.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Yes, Music. I was a Music Education Major my first time in college. Polyphony was almost nixed. Yes, music was around for a long time before even Moses, but the Polyphonic music we have today actually stemmed from the monophonic music...all of this basically started in the Catholic Church. Where did it start? More than likely a Monk who couldn't find the pitch he was given.
As for the "Diluted pagan" stuff...well, in order to get more people to convert, they did some incorporation.
As for bunnies and eggs? Ok, first, look up the history of the Easter Egg. As for the bunnies...that's beyond me other than saying it's a comercialization thing.
If your faith follows the first century Christians, than I sure hope you follow Jewish law since the first Christians were Jews.
Every Christian on this forum seems to think that their church is a superior church - including you from what you've posted, so the point is moot. You want hipocrites? Look around (myself included)(and you'd better look in a mirror as well). Look at every single Christian denomination and church in the world. It's getting old...real old...and this forum is doing nothing but convince me that the world is definitely going to hell in a handbasket and fast. Heaven help our kids, 'cause if this is the kind of stuff we're teaching them, then we're all damned.
 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,118,870 times
Reputation: 1008
Christmas tree?

Sorry that is a pagan holiday


2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.


I wonder what this reminds us of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I'm back Yes i do see your points, believe it or not I can step outside of where I am and see your viewpoint and if I was raised in your shoes I might think as you do. BTW I do not see eye to eye with all of my Church's teachings, doctrines etc. I have been called a heretic by some members of my Church, some have even invited me to leave but you and I are still far apart on most matters.
Also I have a confession to make to you, I was actually poking fun at you about the Novena to St. Jude I realise it went above your head not knowing about St. Jude, but he is the patron saint of hopeless causes so in fact what i was saying was Ren= hopeless cause, so I will apoligise for that.
You did come into this thread like someone walking into a bar looking for a fight. I really do not wish to fight and argue with you and throw scripture back and forth. I only ask that you meet me half way. I would like to see what we have in common, do you celebrate Christmas, go to church on that day? Have a Christmas tree get together with family and friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top