U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Reputation: 2652

Advertisements

"There is the spirit, flesh, and the soul. All three of them are DIFFERENT"

In Old Testement soul = flesh
New Testement soul = spirit

 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,098,996 times
Reputation: 1008
How about staying on the thread?

The verses I have used are in context unless you want to prove otherwise.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
"If you believe we can take ONE VERSE to prove a point then it means nothing"

Interesting when fundies quote scripture it's true and is to be taken literally, but when Catholics quote scripture it shouldn't be taken literally.
You simply can't have it both ways.
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,098,996 times
Reputation: 1008
It would be nice if that was true.

I recommend you use scriptures to back it up

Something like this

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

there was 3..and still is


here's another verse that shows theres 3

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
"There is the spirit, flesh, and the soul. All three of them are DIFFERENT"

In Old Testement soul = flesh
New Testement soul = spirit
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
How about staying on the thread?

The verses I have used are in context unless you want to prove otherwise.

thanks
What I gather from your thinking is not only is the Bible infallible but so is your commentary on the meaning of scripture.

BTW I was wondering to what denomination you belong , would you care to share?
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,098,996 times
Reputation: 1008
Again nothing to do with the debate.

Hey even the Moderator posted something earlier.

It looks like even someone rises from the dead nobody would listen

BTW denomination means NOTHING UNLESS they have teachings that are doctrine of demons.

There are a lot of denominations that have doctrines of men but it has nothing to do with salvation, repentance, or sins that will send you to hell.

If a church says
We can drink....well that's in the bible (nothing to do with salvation)
We can't drink....that's contrary to the bible(nothing to do with salvation)
We can't get drunk....that's in the bible (has to do with salvation)
We CAN get drunk..that's contrary(has to do with salvation)

This is why there's a lot of Christians who don't believe Catholics are saved. Catholics have a lot of teachings that are contrary to the bible which have to do with salvation and/or sins that will send you to hell.

Idolatry and witchcraft. They go both hand and hand.

I have many friends who are and were former Catholics who agree that all Catholics bow down to statues of Mary or the Saints.
Of course they are taught to say that they are not Praying or Worshipping, but we all know that's false.

We should only bow down to Jesus Christ, and should ONLY pray to Jesus Christ. Jesus broke the partition wall which now HE is the High Priest, and Jesus intercedes for us.

Even Jesus said how would should PRAY

At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you.

To pray to saints is a mockery of Jesus power.

It seems Jesus can't handle the prayer requests that comes in so he must have helpers.

Either way the saints are dead, and will rise in the resurrection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
What I gather from your thinking is not only is the Bible infallible but so is your commentary on the meaning of scripture.

BTW I was wondering to what denomination you belong , would you care to share?
 
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
It would be nice if that was true.

I recommend you use scriptures to back it up

Something like this

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

there was 3..and still is


here's another verse that shows theres 3

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Soul and psyche in the New Testament
In spite of the influences from Greek thought, the New Testament is heavily dependent on the Old Testament understanding of self or person. Though it does employ the Greek word psyche, translated as soul in many English passages where it means self or person, it shows amazingly little effect of Greek philosophical influence. On the contrary, especially in the letters of St. Paul, one can sense that the Hebrew Bible’s understanding is being introduced into a predominantly Greco-Roman world. Psyche in the New Testament is often translated as life, and it means the totality of the self as a living, conscious subject. While the English language employed will use the terms body, soul and spirit (for instance I Thessalonians 5:23), IT DOES NOT IMPLY A TRICHOTOMY(splitting into three parts), but rather expresses the totality of the human personality which nee dto be sanctified by God. It is that totality of the self which is saved for eternal life.
 
Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 PM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 2,284,523 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
"If you believe we can take ONE VERSE to prove a point then it means nothing"

Interesting when fundies quote scripture it's true and is to be taken literally, but when Catholics quote scripture it shouldn't be taken literally.
You simply can't have it both ways.
Amen, brother!

You know what the definition of a fundie is, don't you? It's a person who believes in the literal translation of the Bible sometimes.

Well, that's it for me. I might as well be arguing with a pig.
 
Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Northern Va. from N.J.
4,368 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Amen, brother!

You know what the definition of a fundie is, don't you? It's a person who believes in the literal translation of the Bible sometimes.

Well, that's it for me. I might as well be arguing with a pig.
I think the fundamental difference among christians is that some worship scripture, they believe it's some kind of magical book dictated by God.
I do not believe in the Bible but in the one whom it proclaims.

"The Bible is not a document dictated to the writer by God. It is a human document written by the writer(s) who had an encounter with God, and was limited by the time period and culture in which he lived."
 
Old 11-21-2008, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,961,166 times
Reputation: 971
If my only option was "christian" fundamentalism, and a strict literal ( whatever that means) interpretation of the Bible, I'd be an atheist.
 
Old 11-21-2008, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,098,996 times
Reputation: 1008
and i thought you 3 would at least backup your beliefs with the bible.

oh how i was mistaken.

looks to me that Satan really might be Jesus brother.

Hey it's not in the bible but I think I'll add it there just because it feels good. Hey i know that other scriptures may contradict it...but who cares we're not taking the bible literally.

Believe it or not....Catholicism are considered fundies.

Why dont you ask a Catholic priest if anyone is saved outside of the catholic church?

It seems the posters can't hold a debate and resort to personal opinions and off topic remarks.

I have posted many verses, and the best comment is...

You can't take the bible literal.

Well I guess Jesus isn't real, and neither were the Apostles.
Hey there is no heaven and hell either, and what's the point of praying now?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Soul and psyche in the New Testament
In spite of the influences from Greek thought, the New Testament is heavily dependent on the Old Testament understanding of self or person. Though it does employ the Greek word psyche, translated as soul in many English passages where it means self or person, it shows amazingly little effect of Greek philosophical influence. On the contrary, especially in the letters of St. Paul, one can sense that the Hebrew Bible’s understanding is being introduced into a predominantly Greco-Roman world. Psyche in the New Testament is often translated as life, and it means the totality of the self as a living, conscious subject. While the English language employed will use the terms body, soul and spirit (for instance I Thessalonians 5:23), IT DOES NOT IMPLY A TRICHOTOMY(splitting into three parts), but rather expresses the totality of the human personality which nee dto be sanctified by God. It is that totality of the self which is saved for eternal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top