U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 03:42 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times

Advertisements

Okay. A Methodist, a Lutheran and an Episcopalian are flying on a plane together when the wing falls off and they plunge to their doom.

The next thing they know, they are at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter consults his giant book, and says, "Welcome to Heaven."

They are all ushered in and see an unimaginably gorgeous place, a city bathed in warm, golden light. The inhabitants are all wearing pristine robes, listening to the beautiful celestial music, and basking in the unbelievable peace of being one with God.

Then, after their initial joy, the three men look around and notice three very large buildings, each with a large curtain drawn across its respective entrance.

One man looks over at St. Peter and asks, "Ummmm, what's in those buildings with the curtains?"

St. Peter answers, "Well, that building is for the Catholics, that one's for the Baptists, and that one's for the Seventh Day Adventists. Each one thinks they're the only ones here."

Old 10-17-2008, 03:57 PM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. A Methodist, a Lutheran and an Episcopalian are flying on a plane together when the wing falls off and they plunge to their doom.

The next thing they know, they are at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter consults his giant book, and says, "Welcome to Heaven."

They are all ushered in and see an unimaginably gorgeous place, a city bathed in warm, golden light. The inhabitants are all wearing pristine robes, listening to the beautiful celestial music, and basking in the unbelievable peace of being one with God.

Then, after their initial joy, the three men look around and notice three very large buildings, each with a large curtain drawn across its respective entrance.

One man looks over at St. Peter and asks, "Ummmm, what's in those buildings with the curtains?"

St. Peter answers, "Well, that building is for the Catholics, that one's for the Baptists, and that one's for the Seventh Day Adventists. Each one thinks they're the only ones here."
That reminds me of this passage

Isa 25:6 And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.

Isa 25:7 And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:15 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,376,101 times
DUDE!!! Did you cut and paste the entire bible??!!
Dang! What commitment!
It looks like he cut and pasted MORE than just the Bible. It looks like he cut and pasted someone elses paper. And to be honest, it looks like a propeganda pamphlet.

This is seven years of studies regarding the subject that you are talking about. These are my own study. If you really want to know about what's is going on in our congregations, all of the answers are in the Bible. It takes time and patience to find an answer for a question. It might seem a little too much, but if you take your time to read it, you will might find some answer to your questions.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:41 PM

396 posts, read 730,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
DUDE!!! Did you cut and paste the entire bible??!!
Dang! What commitment!
It looks like he cut and pasted MORE than just the Bible. It looks like he cut and pasted someone elses paper. And to be honest, it looks like a propeganda pamphlet.

This is seven years of studies regarding the subject that you are talking about. These are my own study. If you really want to know about what's is going on in our congregations, all of the answers are in the Bible. It takes time and patience to find an answer for a question. It might seem a little too much, but if you take your time to read it, you will might find some answer to your questions.
Oh, I read it...still looks like you cut and pasted someone elses paper w/o siting a source...and it still looks like a biggoted propeganda pamphlet. If I had my other computer handy (I'm at work and on one of my laptops, the file is on the laptop at home) I'd give you the list of "Bible Tabs" that prove Catholicism is Biblical.

Last edited by Morale Officer; 10-17-2008 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Unfortunately, that info will have to wait until Monday when I have the time to pull up the info.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 AM

4,368 posts, read 4,090,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I don't like your line of thinking, as it follows in line with the 'watered down' Catholics we have been talking about, or Catholics who try to conform to the secular world we live in today. Catholicism has strict views on just about every issue, and to me it seems if you want to be a member of the Church, you should strictly follow those views to the best of your abilities. Maybe Catholicism isn't for you.

I think as a convert, I have an easier time accepting these views because I WANT to be a Catholic, and as a conservative my entire life I have always been attracted to rigid beliefs and thinking. I dislike the cushy lee-way of many modern Christians, where everything is in a gray area and everything should be challenged.

Catholicism has held it's beliefs for millenniums and for that reason alone I support them more than anything.
"Maybe Catholicism isn't for you"
It never ceases to amaze me how converts think they are more Catholic then the pope and are always suggesting cradle Catholics should leave the Church, that they are not Catholic enough for them. Let me guess that on your bookshelve you have at least one book by Scott Hahn most likely "Rome Sweet Home" sitting next to a copy of "Theology of The Body" by John Paul II.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Well thanks. I was born and raised a Catholic. I am very open minded (thanks to college and some very close friends). I have very good friends that are not Catholic and do not conform to many of the social and societal or Christian "Norms." What I had a lot of trouble with was the new Pope telling me that I had to believe that if you aren't Catholic, you're going to Hell. So...you mean to tell me that I can like my friends, but unless they're Catholic, they're going to Hell? I can talk to my former minister friend about everything, but unless she "goes straight" and converts to Catholicism, she's going to Hell? What about my Massage Therapist who's Mormon? Should I believe that Dr. Shur went to Hell because she was Jewish? I'm sorry...I can't subscribe to that kind of thought process, and if I'm a "watered down Catholic" for it, so be it. As I said, this is one of many reasons I've been considering leaving the Church. I have my own spiritual issues ("God Limbo" as I've called it before) that I can't deal with the strict rules at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mass...I loved going to the Triduum services at the Newman Center...but I've got to work through my own "God Limbo" before I can be what whatever it is I'm meant to be, but for now, I'll take my "watered down Catholicism" and enjoy the life I've been given until I figure things out.
"What I had a lot of trouble with was the new Pope telling me that I had to believe that if you aren't Catholic, you're going to Hell"

That's news to me, do you have a source for that comment?
The only place I have ever heard that as an Official stand of the Church if I recall correctly was an an old Papal Bull that was around 500 or 600 hundred years old that stated that "there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church"
which was discontinued.
As far as I know the official stand of the Church today is that it admits other churches have the truth but only the Catholic Church has the whole truth.
And that while the Church cannot guareentee salvation for those outside the Church, it relies on God to make that decision.
So it seems the Church leaves alot of wiggle room in there for others, so much for those that say the Church never changes its teachings.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
How can you be assured that the oral part stays right from generation to generation? I'm not confronting you. I'm just curious.

I still believe that Christianity was founded by Jesus and his followers and that Constantine established the Catholic Church.

As in all religions, there are some very kind and loving Catholics. There are also those who have definitely fallen by the wayside, so to speak. IMHO no one religion has a patent on being the only true way to God. Just as Driftwood stated, so much of it is just a memorized ritual and it confuses me how anyone could think they truly have a relationship with God because they know all the chants. The repitition and lack of sincerity is very present in some Catholics, just like any religion.

Something else I'm curious about~what are Catholics taught the reason is that Martin Luther, Calvin, Zwingli (SP?), etc broke away from the Catholic Church?
"that Constantine established the Catholic Church"

No he didn't, he allowed religious freedom.
There was someone after him the name escapes me it was something like thodosus? that declared the Catholic Church to be the official Church of Rome. But in any event none of these people established the Church.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 AM

11,822 posts, read 9,808,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Check your church history books....The Roman Catholic Church can and does trace its roots all the way back to St. Peter when Jesus said, "Thou art Peter and upon this Rock, I will build My Church." The Roman Catholic Church was indeed the first christian church established by Jesus Himself. Your argument that the Catholic Church was not around when the christian church was established does not hold any water.
Okiegirlfriend,

Nor does yours hold any water. 2 verses later Jesus said to Peter:

Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

Based on your line of argument, then:
1. Peter is Satan
2. Peter is a stumbling block to Jesus
3. Peter does not have in mind the things of God, rather but men

So what is it, did Jesus build his church on Peter or Peter's confession? Or is the RCC founded on Satan, the stumbling block?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
If you are Catholic, you believe in the Assumption of Mary - as I do.
Not really, it's not very important to most Catholics.
It's actually a 4th or 5th century invention.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You can find a different RCIA class, different church. One of the things I have learned is that each Catholic church is different. My parents brought us up strictly Catholic but brought us to a liberal Catholic Church. My dad was an RCIA teacher and would have never taught that any religion is inferior.

We all have our differences, we all have different beliefs. The Catholic Church has many contradictions, but I take them with a grain of salt. I have been brought up to believe in God, a God that is forgiving and loving. Like all churches, you must shop around for one that suits you best.
I would have to agree with what veuvegirl says, opinions are very diverse within the Church. I would add not many actually pay much attention to Rome, for most their local parish is the Church. The credibility of the pope and bishops are at an all time low due to events of recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity