U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM

396 posts, read 732,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Not really, it's not very important to most Catholics.
It's actually a 4th or 5th century invention.
Oh yea? Then tell me, if it's not important to Catholics, why is it a Holy day of Obligation? Hmmm?

Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,379,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Oh, I read it...still looks like you cut and pasted someone elses paper w/o siting a source...and it still looks like a biggoted propeganda pamphlet. If I had my other computer handy (I'm at work and on one of my laptops, the file is on the laptop at home) I'd give you the list of "Bible Tabs" that prove Catholicism is Biblical.
Yes there are these are Bible taps. I have a computer program to help me with my studies. It used to take me a long time to write down each individual versus, to save time and to make my studies quickly. I use the computer, this way I can get the information much faster to individuals. I used to write them down but it took me a very long time. Seven years I've been studying and writing scriptures and versus. I found in the ancient days that the apostles used to write manually, I did this to, but I wanted to find a faster way to get the information I needed. So I use the computer and I write my information as well. This is the way I can open up the mysteries of the Bible, you can have this to. I store my studies in my laptop, so if someone has a question about a subject in the Bible, I can give it to people too.
Also for other people that helped me get more information about certain subjects. This way I can put other studies together to form a puzzle of a mystery that in the Bible.
Plus I have a handicap; I thank God for giving me away to overcome my handicap.
Do you know that Stephen Hawkins uses a computer and he has a handicap, he has a brilliant mind.

The Key to open the Mystery’ of the Bible
We read in these verses a Mystery.
Romans 16: 25-27Now to him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secretsince the world began. But now is made manifest and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith;
Deuteronomy 29: 29The secret things belong unto the Lord our God; but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.
Key word Mystery! Total number of the word mystery is 18; you will find the Gospel massage in the Books of the Bible and chapter. You must put the verses together to find your answers. You can also use a Strong’s Concordance to key words. This is the basic way you can open up the Mystery of the Bible. Once you open a Mystery, give thanks to Christ. You will fined something wonderful every day in Bible Study.
First Timothy. 2: First Corinthians 2: First Corinthians 4: First Corinthians 15: Ephesians1: Ephesians 3: Ephesians 5: Ephesians 6: Colossians 1: Colossians 2: Colossians 4: Second Thessalonians 2: First Timothy 3: Revelation 1: Revelation 10: Revelation 17:
We read In Matthew.6:33But seek ye first the righteousness of God, and his kingdom; and all these things shall be added unto you. You need to seek the character of the unknown God. Key Word: Righteousness. Total number of word righteousness is 300.This is called, Scripture with scripture or spiritual things with spiritual things. You can also use a Strong’s Concordance to key words. This is the basic way.
We read in
First Corinthians 15:50-57 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold I show you a mystery; we shall not all sleep.(Jesus will awake us from our sleep, from this world, to prepare us for WHAT?) We read in Daniel 12: 1 - 8. At that time, (The end of time) Michael, (God) shall stand up, the great prince who stand watch over the sons of your people; and there shall be a time of trouble. Even to the time.
And at that time your people shall be delivered, Every one who is found written in the book.Daniel and many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake.
This is a massage I got from the Bible, about the word Mystery.
Remember in the passage where Jesus tells the apostles that he must go to the Father and that he will send us the helper which is the Holy Spirit. Here is a verse that may help to understand what’s going on.
John 14: 16 - 25 - 30 16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to you.
25These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
28Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
29And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. 30Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 10-18-2008 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Adjusting

Old 10-18-2008, 10:09 PM

4,368 posts, read 4,102,572 times
Quote:
Oh yea? Then tell me, if it's not important to Catholics, why is it a Holy day of Obligation? Hmmm?
Well seeing how I don't think it is important and you seem to think it is I was hoping that you would be able to answer that question.

Which begs a second question, why are there any Holy Days of Obligation?
It has always been my understanding that a Holy Day of Obligation means attendance at Mass is required.
To miss Mass on a day of Holy Obligation is a serious sin(MORTAL SIN)
To die in the state of mortal sin means you are going to HELL.
Can you enlighten me why the Institutional Church teaches that?
It is my understanding that Holy Days of Obligations are disciplines placed on the body of Christ (thats us) by the hierarchy of the Church. But I ask is why? Could it be about control?

Last edited by ted08721; 10-18-2008 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 PM

My favorite discipline of the Church was MEATLESS Fridays.
It was not a world wide band(only certain countries)
I guess if you lived near the border and you wanted to eat a Big Mac on Friday you just had to step across the border and be safe from going to Hell.
BTW Bishops were excluded from this discipline, it was only binding on the body of Christ, that's us once again
The hierarchy of the Church taught that we would go to HELL for eating meat on Fridays, I wonder if God did send all those people to HELL for eating meat on Fridays

Old 10-19-2008, 02:53 AM

I'm way too tired tonight to reply to any of these posts even semi-inteligently (I've actually had to work tonight), so I'm going to recommend a book called "Why do Catholics do that?" It's a very interesting read that can shed some light on Catholicism and just might (if you open your mind) reduce some of the bigotry.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,379,768 times
]I'm way too tired tonight to reply to any of these posts even semi-inteligently (I've actually had to work tonight), so I'm going to recommend a book called "Why do Catholics do that?" It's a very interesting read that can shed some light on Catholicism and just might (if you open your mind) reduce some of the bigotry

I am sorry that you feel this way; I know that people's asks tough questions and sometimes difficult questions. To affect the quality of the day is no small achievement. Fortitude is the marshal of thought, the armor of the will, and the fort of reason.When two men in a business always agree, one of them is unnecessary. Change is the watchword of progression.

German proverb: No trees torch the sky. Peace be with you.

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 10-19-2008 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Adjusting letters

Old 10-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I'm way too tired tonight to reply to any of these posts even semi-inteligently (I've actually had to work tonight), so I'm going to recommend a book called "Why do Catholics do that?" It's a very interesting read that can shed some light on Catholicism and just might (if you open your mind) reduce some of the bigotry.
Bigotry? It always seems that when one questions and challenges teachings or actions of the hierarchy of the Church the name calling begins, why is that? What statement have I made that constitutes bigotry?

Old 10-19-2008, 04:52 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,456,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I suppose a claim could also be made for Eastern Orthodoxy, but by all accounts, in RCIA we are taught that even though we should respect the views of our protestant brethren, they are of lesser status in terms of how to be faithful to Jesus. The teaching is that protestant Christians are inferior to Catholics. I myself do not like such a title, 'inferior', but I suppose it makes sense when you think about it. The Catholic Church is the Church as Jesus intended it to be, while the protestant religions have 'watered down' in a sense what it means to be Christian, and have even warped many of the views.
Haven't read the entire thread but I've attended roughly 8 different catholic schools and never have I had that taught to me. Whenever it came to hearing about different denominations and somebody asked which one was the best, the teachers would say something akin to "it doesn't matter, we are all going to heaven anyways".

Old 10-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
I am sorry that you feel this way; I know that people's asks tough questions and sometimes difficult questions. To affect the quality of the day is no small achievement. Fortitude is the marshal of thought, the armor of the will, and the fort of reason.When two men in a business always agree, one of them is unnecessary. Change is the watchword of progression.

German proverb: No trees torch the sky. Peace be with you.
There are two things in my line of work that will make me that tired 1) a VERY bad call (and that only affects me for a short while - after my last very bad call, it took me the 45 minutes it took to clean the truck to get my head back) and 2) a VERY slow night...I had the latter of the two last night. lol. Luckily, when my night picks up, I'm right back in the swing of things, but between calls on a slow night (or week for that matter), I slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Bigotry? It always seems that when one questions and challenges teachings or actions of the hierarchy of the Church the name calling begins, why is that? What statement have I made that constitutes bigotry?
I never called names, I mearly stated that it might help reduce the bigotry. It'll definitely clear up the misconceptions you have.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
There are two things in my line of work that will make me that tired 1) a VERY bad call (and that only affects me for a short while - after my last very bad call, it took me the 45 minutes it took to clean the truck to get my head back) and 2) a VERY slow night...I had the latter of the two last night. lol. Luckily, when my night picks up, I'm right back in the swing of things, but between calls on a slow night (or week for that matter), I slow down.

I never called names, I mearly stated that it might help reduce the bigotry. It'll definitely clear up the misconceptions you have.
"reduce the bigotry" again I will have to ask, what bigotry?
"misconceptions you have" And what misconceptions would they be? Because I really can't think of any misconceptions that I have off the top of my head.
As far as your recommended reading I have own several such books that I am sure are much like the one you mentioned.
I wonder if by chance you may have some misconceptions about me. I do have some harsh criticisms of the hierarchy of the Church which makes some people assume I am taking some kind of a antiCatholic stand but nothing could be further from the truth.
As far as Catholic beliefs and practices go I am on board with most of them, but not all. Studies have shown that between 85 and 90% disagree on one or more of Church teachings. As far as the remainning 10-15% that claim to agree with 100% of Church teachings I guess we just have to take their word on it.

Last edited by ted08721; 10-19-2008 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity