Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 10:57 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Well thanks. I was born and raised a Catholic. I am very open minded (thanks to college and some very close friends). I have very good friends that are not Catholic and do not conform to many of the social and societal or Christian "Norms." What I had a lot of trouble with was the new Pope telling me that I had to believe that if you aren't Catholic, you're going to Hell. So...you mean to tell me that I can like my friends, but unless they're Catholic, they're going to Hell? I can talk to my former minister friend about everything, but unless she "goes straight" and converts to Catholicism, she's going to Hell? What about my Massage Therapist who's Mormon? Should I believe that Dr. Shur went to Hell because she was Jewish? I'm sorry...I can't subscribe to that kind of thought process, and if I'm a "watered down Catholic" for it, so be it. As I said, this is one of many reasons I've been considering leaving the Church. I have my own spiritual issues ("God Limbo" as I've called it before) that I can't deal with the strict rules at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mass...I loved going to the Triduum services at the Newman Center...but I've got to work through my own "God Limbo" before I can be what whatever it is I'm meant to be, but for now, I'll take my "watered down Catholicism" and enjoy the life I've been given until I figure things out.

OMG, I just HAD to comment on this. Years ago I had a friend who was marrying a Catholic and she was taking classes. When she had finished, the priest told her the same thing. He said, "Now that you know the true religion and the right way, you MUST convert or you'll go to hell". She then asked about her friends and family since we were all Protestant. He said, "God forgives the ignorant." I just kept hoping that this was isolated and not actually the norm. It's sad that a religion feels they have to use scare tactics to keep their pews full.

I haven't gotten a chance to read past Morale's post yet so it may have already been discussed. I have a co-worker who is Catholic and I realize that the teachings say that Jesus found the Catholic Church. It was something with when Peter said, "On this foundation, I will build my church." But he was referring to Christianity, not one specific religion. I'm sure everyone is aware that the Catholic Church was founded years later by the Emperor Constantine.

Personally, I have nothing against Catholicism and for anyone who feels comfy with it and feels they're getting what they need, I say they should go for it.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 PM

322 posts, read 737,778 times
Concerning Emperor Constantine, I don't think he started the group that one day became know as the Roman Catholics.

The Church, after about 245 years of terrible persecution, finally got a break when Constantine became Emperor. I don't think the Church back then would have ever recognized Constantine as the founder. I think they did see him as a friend and certainly, thank GOD, the Church could openly worship without being thrown to the lions!

Later on, Julian the apostate became Emperor, and began persecution again. But he died, and after that, freedom for Christians flourished in that empire for many years.

I'm still trying to determine at what point in history we see a clearly defined RC.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:52 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Nondenominational is starting to sound a lot like Catholic/universal
After I wrote this and went to bed....In the middle of the night I realized I should've written it the other way around.

The Catholic Church being universal (and hearing some of the hot cold beliefs, "depends on which church") sounds a lot like Nondenominational.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times
Wow I grew up with Catholic neighbors. So I heard those kids saying those "Hail Mary's" so fast it was years before I understood what they were saying. I remember as a child wondering what they got out of that. I also have a good friend, who just passed away, that told me that Catholics think Mary was, like Christ, without sin.I was so shocked. I have never seen anything close to that in the Bible.
When Christ died on the cross the vail ripped in the temple showing that we could have access right to God through Christ. You don't have to go through a priest or a minister.
I think there are born-again believers in every church. The believers are the chruch. So many people go through a chruch and think because they do certain things they are saved. I'm sure there are Catholics who think because they went to mass every day they are saved. The bible says Satan believes in Christ but he certainly has not turned his life or will over to Christ as his saviour.
I don't think any one church has it totally right. The Bible is our authority and not man.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:15 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Wow I grew up with Catholic neighbors. So I heard those kids saying those "Hail Mary's" so fast it was years before I understood what they were saying. I remember as a child wondering what they got out of that. I also have a good friend, who just passed away, that told me that Catholics think Mary was, like Christ, without sin.I was so shocked. I have never seen anything close to that in the Bible.
When Christ died on the cross the vail ripped in the temple showing that we could have access right to God through Christ. You don't have to go through a priest or a minister.
I think there are born-again believers in every church. The believers are the chruch. So many people go through a chruch and think because they do certain things they are saved. I'm sure there are Catholics who think because they went to mass every day they are saved. The bible says Satan believes in Christ but he certainly has not turned his life or will over to Christ as his saviour.
I don't think any one church has it totally right. The Bible is our authority and not man.
Not everything derived from Catholicism can be found in the Bible. Sorry, but the Bible does not answer every question. Oral tradition helps out with the rest.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:37 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Not everything derived from Catholicism can be found in the Bible. Sorry, but the Bible does not answer every question. Oral tradition helps out with the rest.
How can you be assured that the oral part stays right from generation to generation? I'm not confronting you. I'm just curious.

I still believe that Christianity was founded by Jesus and his followers and that Constantine established the Catholic Church.

As in all religions, there are some very kind and loving Catholics. There are also those who have definitely fallen by the wayside, so to speak. IMHO no one religion has a patent on being the only true way to God. Just as Driftwood stated, so much of it is just a memorized ritual and it confuses me how anyone could think they truly have a relationship with God because they know all the chants. The repitition and lack of sincerity is very present in some Catholics, just like any religion.

Something else I'm curious about~what are Catholics taught the reason is that Martin Luther, Calvin, Zwingli (SP?), etc broke away from the Catholic Church?

Old 10-11-2008, 10:00 AM

The Church is built upon the sure foundation of JESUS CHRIST. In scripture, the Church is a building with JESUS as the chief cornerstone. Without the cornerstone, the building can not stand.

We Christians have been added to that spiritual building as it has pleased GOD.

The Church was not founded upon Mary, though Mary the mother of our LORD JESUS, is a member of the Church and indeed was honored and chosen by GOD for a special role.

Mary is not deity. There is only one GOD and He is existing always, from everlasting to everlasting. Mary, though a fine lady and saint, needed the blood of her special, GOD given child JESUS, to cleanse her from sin, as we all have the same need.

Mary is in heaven with her Saviour. But, her physical body is still in the dust of the Earth, and will be resurrected on that great and awesome day of the LORD, just like the physical bodies of all the saints!

Remember, the shed blood of JESUS on the cross is the eternal (not temporary) cleansing agent for the complete eradication of sin. Mary was very happy to be eternally cleansed of her sins by the blood of JESUS, as were and are, all the saints. Thank you our LORD JESUS for your sacrifice upon the cross!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,845 times
Quote:
Is the Catholic Church the only true, superior Church?
Yes, if we are talking about religion.

No, if we are talking about the Body of Christ.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 AM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
Mary is in heaven with her Saviour. But, her physical body is still in the dust of the Earth, and will be resurrected on that great and awesome day of the LORD, just like the physical bodies of all the saints!
If you are Catholic, you believe in the Assumption of Mary - as I do.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
If you are Catholic, you believe in the Assumption of Mary - as I do.
My understanding of the resurrection of the body of Christians is based upon and submerged in, the scriptures of 1st Corinthians chapter 15, and upon several other scriptures.

1st Cor 15 reveals that only JESUS during the period between His first appearing and His second appearing ( the time we live in now), has received the resurrection body which is eternal. All others in the Church, must wait until His second appearing to have their bodies fully resurrected and changed into an incorruptible body like the one of our LORD JESUS.

Our current bodies have been made alive by the SPIRIT and we do live now in the Resurection, Who is JESUS CHRIST. So we learn in scripture that when a saint leaves the world, during this present time (before the second appearing), that our physical bodies are not dead, but only asleep.

Since there is nothing in the scripture about Mary having received the resurrection body at this time, and because that assumption conflicts with scripture, it would not be good to teach that as a doctrine.

There are also those who teach that there will be two specific resurrection days for the Church, one before or during the Trib, and one after the Trib. I've not found any scriptural basis for that teaching either and clearly in 1st Cor 15 we read about only one day and time when the bodies of the saints will be resurrected.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity